I am new here and ready for some HUGE changes in my life!!!!

Options
Hello. My name is Kristie. I am 47 years old. I have a marvelous 8 year old son and 7 year old daughter and I am ready to make some HUGE changes in my life!
I have been on the large side since turning 18 years old. I was always athletic, playing all kinds of sports. But through the years I have gotten larger and larger. In 2010, after falling and breaking my right leg and severely spraining both ankles, I was completely immobile in a hospital bed in my living room. 2 weeks later, I woke up with severe chest pains and shortness of breath. I was diagnosed with 3 DVT's in my broken leg and a saddle pulmonary embolism. I have had numerous medical professionals tell me how lucky I am to have made it through that!!! Normally, they only find those when doing an autopsy on dead people!!! I had lots of damage to my lungs and was in and out of the hospital 6 times that year! To make a long story short, I am now medically retired from the Dept. of Corrections, where I worked for 18 years and I am considered totally disabled.
I have tried diets, after diets, after diets and I was always able to lose some weight, but I always gave up after awhile and eventually I got right back to the same weight I was before the diet and sometimes, even heavier. I have considered bariatric surgery on numerous occasions, even going to seminars 4 times. However, this time around, I am determined to follow through with it. I have very little activity through-out my days, since retiring and I am just getting heavier and heavier! I quit smoking on Jan. 24th and have started the process for the bariatric surgery. I need to lose approx. 115 lbs. I am soooooo excited about this new beginning, I can't even explain it! My kids are excited for me!!!! And I am more determined then I have ever been in my whole life.
I need all the support, encouragement and strength I can get to stay this motivated! Feel free to friend me or give me advice as I move forward towards this journey of a lifetime!!! :-)

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Congrats on both starting you weight loss journey (you can do it!) And quitting smoking.
  • myalienbody
    myalienbody Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You certainly sound motivated and that is a huge step! Congratulations for starting and I wish you much luck and offer even more support!
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decisions! I am a diabetic and have changed so many of my bad habits,it makes you feel great to take control of your life. I have los 44 pounds, but I still have 50 to go! I have found swimming a great exercise, it doesn't hurt anything and it is fun! Feel free to friend me and I will try to support you the best tha ti can, you are welcome to look at my diary and see what I have been eating ,although I know you will be eating much differently after your surgery. I had looked into the surgery at one time, it scared me, I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to surgery. I have had a few biggy's and want to avoid any cutting if possible,Lol. I have a very dear friend who had the surgery 30 years ago and it was quite new and very invasive, she had a hard recooperation,but she lost almosr 200 pounds and has kept it off for 30 years ! That is quite a testimony :) I am sure you will do well,it is so common now a days. Good luck with your new life style. Pam
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You have made it over the first hurdle by signing up and posting your first thread. The key to your success is entering in the food you eat and the exercise and you will begin to see results. There are so many inspirational stories on the Success Stories threads and you will find people that are in a similar situation as you are. This woman's story is absolutely amazing and she too did gastric bypass surgery: http://www.300poundsdown.com/ and you will find other stories that will inspire you. I don't have as much to lose, but I am in awe and the sheer determination of many people on this site.

Good luck and good fortune to you.
  • puterdoc2
    Options
    Congrats on both starting you weight loss journey (you can do it!) And quitting smoking.

Thank you!!!!
  • puterdoc2
    Options
    You certainly sound motivated and that is a huge step! Congratulations for starting and I wish you much luck and offer even more support!

Thank you!!!
  • puterdoc2
    Options
    Congratulations on your decisions! I am a diabetic and have changed so many of my bad habits,it makes you feel great to take control of your life. I have los 44 pounds, but I still have 50 to go! I have found swimming a great exercise, it doesn't hurt anything and it is fun! Feel free to friend me and I will try to support you the best tha ti can, you are welcome to look at my diary and see what I have been eating ,although I know you will be eating much differently after your surgery. I had looked into the surgery at one time, it scared me, I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to surgery. I have had a few biggy's and want to avoid any cutting if possible,Lol. I have a very dear friend who had the surgery 30 years ago and it was quite new and very invasive, she had a hard recooperation,but she lost almosr 200 pounds and has kept it off for 30 years ! That is quite a testimony :) I am sure you will do well,it is so common now a days. Good luck with your new life style. Pam

Congrats on YOUR weight loss this far!!! What an inspiration!!! I love swimming and we do have a pool, just need the sun and much warmer temps to go with it. :-) I did send you a friend request.
  • puterdoc2
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You have made it over the first hurdle by signing up and posting your first thread. The key to your success is entering in the food you eat and the exercise and you will begin to see results. There are so many inspirational stories on the Success Stories threads and you will find people that are in a similar situation as you are. This woman's story is absolutely amazing and she too did gastric bypass surgery: http://www.300poundsdown.com/ and you will find other stories that will inspire you. I don't have as much to lose, but I am in awe and the sheer determination of many people on this site.

Good luck and good fortune to you.

Thank you soooo much and good luck to you also! :-)