Hot Yoga

Options
There is a hot yoga studio near my apartment and I was thinking of going for a few trial sessions before signing up.

I have done some pretty basic Ashtanga and Power yoga before but never hot yoga or bikram. While I know it isn't going to burn the most calories, I would still like to try to get back into yoga.

As someone who is pretty much a yoga beginner, would hot yoga be a good option? What are your experiences with hot yoga?

Thank you!

Replies

• blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm addicted. I have no idea how many calories it burns, but I love the sweat. I feel so good and refreshed after a hot yoga class.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I did it on average of 5 times a month for 8 months. You will develop strength in your legs and back. I gained a couple of pounds while doing it because I had an enormous appetitie. It didn't do anything for my abs and arms. But, the mental peace, clarity, and ability to take big deep breaths was the best benefit! I love it, too.

I don't love doing it while I'm in there, but I love how I feel afterward.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm addicted. I have no idea how many calories it burns, but I love the sweat. I feel so good and refreshed after a hot yoga class.

I agree with this. It has been too long since I went to a class but I LOVED it~
  • french_press
    Options

Agreed! I went for the first time tonight and it was amazing. I am relatively new to yoga and I feel like I did much better in my hot yoga class than a normal one - the heat really opens up your body and allows you to stretch a lot farther!
  • FabnFit2013
    FabnFit2013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    its no different than ur regular hatha yoga but done in a controlled heated room...i have done a course - but its way too expensive for me to continue - so i do it at my place - just get a personal heater in ur room :)
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great idea, so basic but genius! Use a HEATER! I do yoga at home and wanted to add in heat so I bought a 10 session package at my local birkram yoga studio. After they expire I will be doing this!
  • metram
    Options
    I love it. I started over a month ago b/c a studio near my house had a special with groupon. Typically, burn between 500-600 calories each class. Go for it.
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga is the only yoga I like. And I've tried LOTS of classes with different teachers to give it a fair shot. LOVE hot yoga! If it weren't so expensive I would keep doing it.
  • ssieben
    ssieben Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love love love hot yoga! I practice Bikram hot yoga and NOTHING beats the feeling you get after a 90 minute session! I have read that hot yoga burns up to 1000 calories per session, however I burn on average 450-550 cals according to my HRM.
  • Cortln
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about Hot Yoga this past week. I've never done it but I found a 1 month unlimited package at a place near my home so I bought it. I"m going to start soon. I've been reading posts on their facebook page and they say it's good for all levels of experience. I've ready a lot of people say that they don't lose weight but they lose inches. A friend of mine said she went to three classes and noticed, I'm sure this just depends on the person and how hard you try in class but if you give it your all i'm sure you'll find it has benefits!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I went to a bikram class twice and I did not like it at all! The whole time I was telling myself "do not pass out. do not puke". I do have a history of fainting though so I'm sure that has something to do with it. It's definitely worth a shot as most people love it! They're really good about telling you to lay down when you look like you're about to keel over haha.
  • djimeno
    djimeno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram about 3-4 times a week for the last 9 months now. Helped out my back issues, lost weight, while also getting more defined. Just make sure to drink LOTS and LOTS of water before class. I drink at least 3L a day and bring 1.5L for class.

It's pricey but well worth it if you go often.
  • earpies37
    Options
    heated power yoga is awesome! i generally go to hot classes whether its power vinyasa or a more bikram-esque sequence. gets my heart rate up, feels great, and for some reason i crave healthier foods after class(wouldve killed someone for a cheeseburger before class the other day, afterwards all i wanted was some cottage cheese with strawberries!).
  • prwhicks
    prwhicks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm trying hot yoga for the first time tonight. This is my worry too: passing out or fainting. I have a friend who did just that. Yet other friends swear by it.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burned 357 cals in a 75 minute class.... (160lbs 5'6" female age 28)