Toning/Cardio

Options
I am wanting to concentrate more on toning, and less on weight loss. I am at where I want to be when it comes to size but I want to tone up everything I have. So, how often should I do cardio and how often should I be doing weights? Thanks for the input!!

Replies

• Izabera
    Options
    I'm at pretty much the same stage now- 156llbs at 6'2 - Any advice welcomed , i usually do 3 good cardio workouts per week with 20 mins on dumbells/swissball workouts 4-5 times a week - Looking to tone up my pecs more than anything not interested in bulking up i prefer the leaner look:smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    By "toning" I assume you mean you want to develop your muscle structure. Cardio does not do that. I would do one or 2 cardio sessions per week and 3 to 4 weight training session. I think that will give you the body you want.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    By "toning" I assume you mean you want to develop your muscle structure. Cardio does not do that. I would do one or 2 cardio sessions per week and 3 to 4 weight training session. I think that will give you the body you want.

agreed. lift heavy... no more than 10-12 reps max per set, and no more than 35 reps per muscle group. So 5 sets of 5-6 reps would be fine, or 3 sets of 10-12 reps would be fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

agreed. lift heavy... no more than 10-12 reps max per set, and no more than 35 reps per muscle group. So 5 sets of 5-6 reps would be fine, or 3 sets of 10-12 reps would be fine.

Smack! (mmapags high fives jacksonpt) lol
  • Izabera
    Options
    I'm not a member of a gym , any equipment you can recommend? I have a busy work schedule so finding time for the gym is pretty much a no go at the moment .

by equipment i mean , machines , type of weights and workouts=

Thanks for the advice so far (not intending to hijack the OP) :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm not a member of a gym , any equipment you can recommend? I have a busy work schedule so finding time for the gym is pretty much a no go at the moment .

by equipment i mean , machines , type of weights and workouts=

Thanks for the advice so far (not intending to hijack the OP) :smile:

You can do a lot with just a bench and some dumbbells. Buying used usually saves a bunch of money, and the selectable/adjustable dumbbells don't take up much room.
  • Mamalea32
    Options
    If you go to You Tube and look up "home workouts" or "home circuit training" or "interval workouts at home" there are a zillion options-- many of which do not require any equipment.
    No matter how much toning you do it won't show if it is under a layer of fat. At least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days per week is important.
    I even discovered that the classic "jane fonda style" aerobic video have super toning leg thigh and tummy immediately after the cardio portion of the workout. I have been snowed in for three days but working out with various You Tube videos in my basement has left me quite sore. Woo Hoo! Love that pain.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If you go to You Tube and look up "home workouts" or "home circuit training" or "interval workouts at home" there are a zillion options-- many of which do not require any equipment.
    No matter how much toning you do it won't show if it is under a layer of fat. At least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days per week is important.
    I even discovered that the classic "jane fonda style" aerobic video have super toning leg thigh and tummy immediately after the cardio portion of the workout. I have been snowed in for three days but working out with various You Tube videos in my basement has left me quite sore. Woo Hoo! Love that pain.

*sigh*
  • Izabera
    Options
    I actually love my cardio workouts, bike/turbo trainer /music - I know i can find endless clips on you tube , i was hoping for first hand experience from guys who know what they are talking about and willing to share their wisdom.

@jacksonpt- I am currently using dumbbells on my gym ball and i have to say i can a difference in 4 weeks , i'm not one to want it now i actually enjoy the hard work . Thank you for the advice