Fat Loss/Toning Not Evenly Distributed

Options
I am not sure if it's fat loss that I am referring to or if it's actually a toning issue.

I have been active on MFP for 30 days. I log my food religiously, eat around 70%-80% clean and just completed the 30 DS. I have lost a decent amount of weight but I noticed that on the right side of my body, my back fat rolls are almost gone but on my left side, the back fat rolls are still very prominent. Is that unusual? Will it all eventually balance out?

I think I favor my right side when I exercise, so i wonder if that has anything to do with it. For example, when I do the boxing punches, my left punch is much weaker than my right punches.

TIA

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so it is just the way your body is distributed. Keep working things will even out eventually. Good luck.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Off the wall but I wonder if it's a posture issue...Years ago we had one of those health fairs at my work and there was someone there that measured how much pressure you were putting on each side. Turns out that I stood lopsided.
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    have the same issue. Right side is leaner. Try doing extra reps with the left one so you can "even out"
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so it is just the way your body is distributed. Keep working things will even out eventually. Good luck.

Thanks for responding. I am actually not trying to spot reduce. I just thought that changes to one side of my body would be the same on the other side of my body.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    have the same issue. Right side is leaner. Try doing extra reps with the left one so you can "even out"

I will try that and see if that works. Thanks!
  • twokute80
    twokute80 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As a "righty" our left side is always weaker, but clearly you are doing something right. I agree, keep it up and it will balance it self out. Once your exercising cardio and weights. The fat will melt from everywhere. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • pwa007
    pwa007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was very surprised when i started working out with a trainer to realize how dominant I am on one side. Lifting, running, etc. I'm completely left side dominant. I hired a personal trainer because I wanted to get in shape and had no clue how to actually lift weights, work out. I was shocked (as was she) at how weak my right side was. After several months, they are now close to equal. I too had better muscling on the left, as opposed to my right. I'm not sure if it's because I injured my right knee, and now my left leg is the stronger, not sure if it's because I'm left handed... I've really had to focus and work even harder on my right side because of it. If it's an option, hire a trainer for a few sessions to see if you have a dominant side or obvious weakness in your training. It's made a big difference for this left sided girl.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone just losing weight on one side of their body.

While certain parts of you may appear to be losing weight quicker than other if you continue to stay in a deficit and focus on losing body fat it shouldn't be an issue.

While being weaker on one side of the body may affect the amount of muscle you have on that side it's unlikely to affect the distribution of body fat.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    ^^ haven't you ever watched the show "The Biggest Loser"? They definitely have unevenly distributed fat to begin with and throughout the loss process.

If you've seen them afterward, you'll see they eventually get it evened out. At least mostly.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think doing more work on the weaker side is a good idea, since the overall goal is strength. If you have a WII with a balance board and WII Fit, there is a function to measure balance distrubution and games to improve balance. I also recommend taking up belly dancing because there's nothing like it to increase your body awareness with movement, muscle control and overall toning. Besides, it's really fun!
  • NickyLynnDoll
    NickyLynnDoll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is simply muscle imbalance. We activate the muscles on one side of our body while deactivating the other. You have to make sure that what you do on one side is always done exactly the same on the other side. For example, if you carry a heavy bag/purse on your left side all of the time, your right side will be smaller. Try alternating sides to even them out. Do not stop using the left, just incorporate the right to get it conditioned.

I had issues with my sciatic nerve and knee on the left side, now my entire left side is a good 3-4 inches lower and 1.5-2 inches smaller than my right. As I lose weight it is not as dramatic in appearance, but it's still there. I do believe that once I'm done losing, they will be even. - Good Luck and don't be discouraged.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I was very surprised when i started working out with a trainer to realize how dominant I am on one side. Lifting, running, etc. I'm completely left side dominant. I hired a personal trainer because I wanted to get in shape and had no clue how to actually lift weights, work out. I was shocked (as was she) at how weak my right side was. After several months, they are now close to equal. I too had better muscling on the left, as opposed to my right. I'm not sure if it's because I injured my right knee, and now my left leg is the stronger, not sure if it's because I'm left handed... I've really had to focus and work even harder on my right side because of it. If it's an option, hire a trainer for a few sessions to see if you have a dominant side or obvious weakness in your training. It's made a big difference for this left sided girl.

Thanks for sharing your story. :flowerforyou:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    ^^ haven't you ever watched the show "The Biggest Loser"? They definitely have unevenly distributed fat to begin with and throughout the loss process.

If you've seen them afterward, you'll see they eventually get it evened out. At least mostly.

I watch TBL but I've never paid attention to the contestants fat distribution. Good to know that it all evens out in the end. :smile:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I think doing more work on the weaker side is a good idea, since the overall goal is strength. If you have a WII with a balance board and WII Fit, there is a function to measure balance distrubution and games to improve balance. I also recommend taking up belly dancing because there's nothing like it to increase your body awareness with movement, muscle control and overall toning. Besides, it's really fun!

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • purplecharm
    Options
    It is simply muscle imbalance. We activate the muscles on one side of our body while deactivating the other. You have to make sure that what you do on one side is always done exactly the same on the other side. For example, if you carry a heavy bag/purse on your left side all of the time, your right side will be smaller. Try alternating sides to even them out. Do not stop using the left, just incorporate the right to get it conditioned.

I had issues with my sciatic nerve and knee on the left side, now my entire left side is a good 3-4 inches lower and 1.5-2 inches smaller than my right. As I lose weight it is not as dramatic in appearance, but it's still there. I do believe that once I'm done losing, they will be even. - Good Luck and don't be discouraged.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!