Exercise before or after dinner?

Options
I just recently started working out again, and during the week I dont get home until 5:30-5:45, should I eat then and wait 30 min or so and go to gym, or go to gym then eat dinner when I get home. I dont want to get in the habit of eating dinner at 8:00 at night and my 9 year old is going with me so we still have to factor in homework during that time. I was just curious what some of you have done. I feel like its best to eat, do homework then go to gym but not sure. I am just doing cardio right now I plan to start weight next week and some group fitness classes.

Replies

• brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have kiddos, but it works best for me to eat dinner first, wait a bit, then work out. Just fits into my schedule better. I also work out at home, not the gym. Hope you can find what works best for you and your schedule! Good luck with MFP!!!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your schedule best. You are only doing it wrong if you don't go at all!

I go in the morning, so I can avoid the homework/dinner scheduling issues.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Personally, if given the choice, I will always work out first. I find that it helps suppress my appetite which helps me meet my intake goals. I am also less likely to get heartburn during the workout that way. I also find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to go to the gym or begin exercising after a meal.