Quick Vegetarian Meals

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
Hello All

I have to reduce/eliminate my consumption of meat and I need some vegan/vegetarian recipes. Although I have found some on here, they are great for dinner and leftovers but very time consuming for a quick lunch. I am tired of cucumbers on Ezekiel bread. If anyone have any great recipes or websites please let me know, I am starving!

Thanks in Advance!

P.s. does anyone know how to prepare acorn squash for soup?

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cut in half, scoop out seeds, place cut side down on baking sheet, oven 400 cook for, hmm til soft.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    there are so many excellent, easy veg recipes is really comes down to how much time or money you want to spend, and what you like. My usual lunch these days is an Annie Chun's Miso or Udon Soup Bowl with a handful of frozen veggie mix thrown in. It's filling, tasty, quick (about 3-4 minutes to fix, and less than 300 calories. I'm also a big fan of green salads for lunch and use salsa as a dressing for great flavor and low fat.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello All

I have to reduce/eliminate my consumption of meat and I need some vegan/vegetarian recipes. Although I have found some on here, they are great for dinner and leftovers but very time consuming for a quick lunch. I am tired of cucumbers on Ezekiel bread. If anyone have any great recipes or websites please let me know, I am starving!

Thanks in Advance!

P.s. does anyone know how to prepare acorn squash for soup?

You can prepare soup before hand and freeze/ container it so you can grab it on your way out the door. It's really handy to do at the end of the week when you're kind of left with all the left over vegetables that need to be cooked. I use vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, a bit of tobasco sauce for heat and whatever I have in the fridge at the time: corn, celery, beans, mixed vegetables from the freezer, capsicum, onion.

Another thing you can do is make one of the vegetarian dips you find online, they have heaps of different ones to suit everyone, take that and some celery and carrot sticks, maybe some plain corn chips and it's pretty good.

Lastly, I really like making stuffed mushrooms, capsicums, tomatoes, etc. you can do potatoes too and reheat them up to 2 days later.
  • skanabar
    skanabar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    checkout skinnytaste.com, i am a vegetarian as well but i cook at home a lot, makes life easier. not sure if u can spend half a weekend cooking.

take outs i like lentil/bean soups, chipotle salads , thai curry with tofu or pho noodle soup with tofu..let me know if u have any questions
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The Kind Diet has a lot of pretty fast good recipes.
  • vkmoorthy
    vkmoorthy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love the recipes in the blog http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

You do not have to make it fat free if you don't want to but her Recipes always turn out well
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch pinned: http://pinterest.com/crystalflame89/vegetarian/

The Mexican dishes, pastas, and salads are all pretty easy to whip together.
  • kaitlyn606
    Options
    The Kind Diet has a lot of pretty fast good recipes.

I agree! I am vegetarian, trying to eat mostly vegan and I have the book, by Alicia Silverstone. The website http://thekindlife.com/ is wonderful! I prefer the book only because I like to read recopies out of a book in my kitchen. Also try looking for simple, cheap vegetarian/vegan cookbooks in your local bookstore!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Canned beans or lentils with spices and fresh veggies or greens added.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at 26 I'm still confused by all the different kinds of vegetarian. Or maybe I just don't understand because I still eat meat and animal products....so I'll just name some things here and maybe you can find something you like.

Veggie rice..... Boil water and add chicken stock (I don't see why you couldn't use veggie stock, but I've never tried it....or omit flavoring completely) minced onions and garlic and veggies (I shoot for a ratio of 50:50 veggies and rice) and return to boil. Add brown rice and boil for 5 minutes, sprinkle with paprika, cover and wait according to directions. Sometimes I like to add ranch, but that is purely up to you.

Veggie stir fry... spray pan (or use sesame oil, some people have a preference) and fry onions and garlic until lightly carmelized, add can bamboo shoots and cook for a few minutes, add water chestnuts, baby corns, frozen pea pods, frozen broccoli florets, carrots, peppers (whatever you like). To the pan add some soy sauce and ground ginger to taste (I actually use beef broth and thicken it) add cashews at the last minute. Serve over rice. You could also look up Campbell Soups stir fry recipe (it is tomato soup based) and just omit the meat.

Things to google: Tofu chocolate pudding (I eat it for breakfast), Hot chocolate steel cut oats (made with water, oats, cocoa, coconut milk, and stevia or sugar), vegetarian chili (you could make it ahead of time)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options