55lb in 7 months is it possible?!?

Options
i found out this weekend that i am going to thailand in the end of august beginning of september
and i am thinking the impossible, i weigh 212.9lb and what to be 157lb by the time i going on holiday
is my target too high?!?
need advise and maybe a few more friends, add me if you want

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hi,

That is certainly a high target and just over 2lbs per week so you will find it difficult. However, imo, I don't think there is anything wrong with setting yourself high targets. If you get 80% of the way there I'm sure you will be pleased.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    aim high is what i always say, i find if i aim higher i tend to do better than if i aimed lower. just dont be disappointed if you dont hit that target- remember whatever weight you lose is weight off that you wouldn't have had off before!!
  • pulelehua510
    Options
    Having a goal is the right start! Set little goals along the way. Like get 10 lbs off by... Then as you reach each mini goal you will have encouragement to get there. Losing weight is not a perfect science. Patience is what I find the hardest to have during this journey.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think it's very possible to *look* like you lost 55lbs, but getting the actual number on the scale will be harder. I would recommend doing a workout designed to get you "shredded" fast- P90X, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, Power 90, etc. To me inches lost and toning is way more valuable than numbers on a scale, which can fluctuate up to 10lbs for me depending what I eat, time of the month, how hard I work out, time of day, etc. Scale goals are good benchmarks, but what about setting some appearance and health goals too, like showing off your toned tummy in a new two piece? Or being able to hike and climb and sightsee without exhausting yourself?
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Well I lost 97 pounds in 7 months so I assume it is :) it depends on the person and how overweight you are. The heavier you are, the quicker the weight will come off (but it also takes longer for people to notice). Good luck.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Definitely doable. I would say it's probably better to focus on how you look than the scale number. I've lost 55+ in eight months, but it looks like more because I gained a lot of muscle. I would guess at your weight actually dropping 55 in seven months will be tough.I am dwdown to 185 and my weight loss is slowing down, but that doesn't mean my body transformation is. Weight is just a number.
    Have fun on your trip! I'm sure you'll look great.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I certainly will never discourage anyone from working hard to meet a goal. The caveat is, in many instances, people who loose weight really quick don't learn to modify and moderate their diet to maintain and have a high risk of gaining weight back. Steady and consistent is the key

But go for it! What have you got to lose...but 55lbs!
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about the numbers but it's definitely a target to reach... Once you start burning off the fat you would gain the muscles and the muscle weight is what you would start to see on the scale.. judge by looking in the mirror :)
    Good Luck!
  • mikedean441
    Options
    Ive lost 36 in just 6 weeks, so its certainly possible
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it is! It's up to you to make the changes, stick to a healthy lifestyle, exercise, put down the alcohol and go for it! You can reach it!
  • jshot278
    jshot278 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is a lot, but, not impossible. I lost almost 30lbs. in a month before joining MFP. Now, I've lost 40 something. Around 43 in 5 weeks.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    ive lost 60 in 5 months but I had a long way to go.
  • rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'd say so... :) I haven't done it myself... I lost 40lb in 8 months... started at about 250lb at the beginning of Jan 2013 and was at 210 at the beginning of Sep... (I didn't start mfp until early July when I weighed 229 so I lost 20lbs in 2 months. It's since slowed and I'm averaging about 5lbs a month)
  • momma_2001us
    Options
    How did you lose 36 pounds in 6 weeks????
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How did you lose 36 pounds in 6 weeks????

Not in a healthy sustainable way!!!