bracelet or band to track my calories during workouts.

i found this old thread www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103461-looking-for-calorie-counter-armband-suggestions?page=2 but it is almost two years old so i wanted to know if anyone had any new information.

i am looking for a bracelet or band to track my calories during workouts. i feel like on weight lifting it is impossible (due to lifting heavier, lighter, less rest, different exercises, circuit and my old elliptical says i am getting burning 100 less than mfp says so i just average them.

I would really like something that isn't super expensive (if it is watch size and not a bracelet) as i cant wear it at my job so i do not need all day tracking. any suggestions. also, maybe it would be nice if it would be something my wife could wear to track her exercises calories since that is all she wants too.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    You can look into getting a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT7 and love it. If you go the route of a heart rate monitor ensure you get one that has a chest strap (some are just watch only models) and one that allows you to enter your age, weight, height and sex for more accurate calorie burns. HRM are not accurate for all day wear (unless they specifically say they are designed to do so like the fitbit or the bodymedia) as they are only accurate for increased heart rates. Most are not accurate for weight lifting.

If you are in the US a lot of people have had success on Amazon.com to find one. There are tons of models out there. ENsure you research any model you go with as some are much better than others. CHeap ones tend not to be the best... but you can get some decent deals out there. I got my Polar at a store closing sale so I paid less than half price.
  • Bump
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Polar FT4.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    hrm with a chest strap :D
    I have a buerur one and its not too bad
    lots of people recommend the polar brand.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 336 Member
    I don't know how it would do with weight training, as I don't do that.
    But I would suggest the Jawbone UP.
    It's $130...but so worth it.
    The data you get back is incredible!

:heart: MINE!
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    I vote for a heart rate monitor.
  • living138dead
    living138dead Posts: 1 Member
    i was going to buy an UP bracelet which tracks your activity and sleep patterns but you have to plug in a usb from it into your computer every day to upload the info...and they are about $120.

someone told me to check out the brand FITBIT, right now they sell clip on style items, but it looks like they are in the works of getting a bracelet made this spring, which i think i'm gonna wait for...it says it does the same thing as the UP bracelet except that it sends info to your phone/computer via bluetooth so you dont have to hook it up, and it looks like its only $99.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    fitbit is a good option for tracking all day activities but it won't give you nearly as accurate of a calorie count for exercise as a heart rate monitor.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I have the Polar FT4. I got it on amazon for $60 with free shipping. I wouldn't recommend both you and your wife using it unless you don't mind reprogramming it every time you switch.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Just bought a HRM at Aldi (not sure where you are or if you have an AldI) but it is a watch which tracks your calories, miles, fat burn, and some other stuff. Plus it has the time and a stop watch. Paid $24.00...not to bad.
  • My Body Media Fit gives me a good idea of Total Calories I burn in a 23ish hr period. It tends to be a little inaccurate when recording weight training burns but it works well for what I am looking for at the moment. I am also looking at getting a HRM which is only really good for those workout/high activity situations otherwise it is not the best for calculating Daily Burn. At the very least it keeps you honest with your exercise calories (most machine estimates are off). The chest strap also ensures better data collection. But you can get some decent estimates from wrist only devices. [Better than nothing.]

I find devices like Nike+ band tend to offer rather vague and limited info for the price. [Glorified Pedometer]

I have really been focusing on Garmin and Polar devices...just trying to evaluate my real need prior to purchase as they can run from $100-$500 based on specs.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    I use a Garmin and it's fantastic. It's a watch with a chest strap (for HRM measurement) and the model I have also tracks running/walking/jogging maps and can give you median pace and caloric burn. I spent about $200 on mine and I have it paired with a BodyMedia Fit (LINK) monitor and I find my burns are very accurate using the two together. The LINK armband cost me about $107 on sale (this is all in canadian dollars btw) so my total costs were about $307 and well worth it.

It all depends on how you are going to use your HRM or fitness monitor, do you walk a lot and want to record your burns from runs/walks? Then a pedometer would be a great alternative and can be relatively cheap.

If you are looking for something that measures your burns during the day I would suggest a fitness monitor such as the BodyMedia Armbands (which are used by The Biggest Loser contestants) and they also have a built in pedometer which is a bonus.

Looking to record burns during workouts and that's about it? HRM is the right thing for you, most suggest the polar models, the FT4 and FT7 being the most popular that I have noticed. They are moderately priced as well so it isn't hard on the wallet.

My combination works for my goals, I want to increase my running duration and decrease my distance times while being able to track my workouts and daily activity. Well worth the purchase :)
  • scottppa
    scottppa Posts: 31 Member
    I use a Fitbit to monitor my steps daily and a Polar HRM (an old F6) when I exercise. I ignore the Fitbit calorie count and don't take it into account when I use MFP -- I try to stick to my allowed calories each day.
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    I was recently looking at this myself, I currently have a Polar HRM with chest strap but was looking for something that tracks activity and sleep all day. I had a Fitbit Ultra until I washed it too many times luckily I got Square Trade Warranty and they refunded me. It was a good motivator and I loved their free website but it didn't track calories burned well, it was always very very high.

I've looked at bodybugg things but didn't want to monthly subscription or that thing on my arm. Looked at the The Nike Fuelband and the Up by Jawbone but both of them have soooo many bad reviews I'm still looking.

I came across 3 new devices: Fitbit Flex, The Mybasis and The Amiigo but they are all in the developmental stage ugh!

I will happily just keep using my Polar and see what's up this summer.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    I use a Fitbit for tracking steps every day, but not for calories burned - they are coming out with a bracelet this spring that comes in a variety of colors for the same price as their Fitbit One ($100).

I used a Polar RS300X HRM for a long time, excellent for calorie burn/zone training. I think I paid around $130 for it at the time, can probably get a good deal on Amazon. I just upgraded to the Garmin Forerunner 210 - has GPS, allows zone training, interval training, and heart rate/calories burned. It was $250, pricey but I love it! As HRM go, its actually a smaller watch so not an eyesore like some of the GPS HRM models can be.

Nike also has a bracelet out, think it retails for over $200 - does similar stuff as BodyMedia, I don't know of anyone that has one though.
  • DarkFlutter
    i was going to buy an UP bracelet which tracks your activity and sleep patterns but you have to plug in a usb from it into your computer every day to upload the info...and they are about $120.

someone told me to check out the brand FITBIT, right now they sell clip on style items, but it looks like they are in the works of getting a bracelet made this spring, which i think i'm gonna wait for...it says it does the same thing as the UP bracelet except that it sends info to your phone/computer via bluetooth so you dont have to hook it up, and it looks like its only $99.

The Jawbone UP plugs into your phone (iPhone only) to add the data to the app.
    It charges in an USB adapter for the wall.
    No computer needed :0)
    This is why I got it...I didn't like having to take my computer on vacations just to log my stuff.
    (I switched from the FitBit Ultra)
  • DarkFlutter
    I was recently looking at this myself, I currently have a Polar HRM with chest strap but was looking for something that tracks activity and sleep all day. I had a Fitbit Ultra until I washed it too many times luckily I got Square Trade Warranty and they refunded me. It was a good motivator and I loved their free website but it didn't track calories burned well, it was always very very high.

I've looked at bodybugg things but didn't want to monthly subscription or that thing on my arm. Looked at the The Nike Fuelband and the Up by Jawbone but both of them have soooo many bad reviews I'm still looking.

I came across 3 new devices: Fitbit Flex, The Mybasis and The Amiigo but they are all in the developmental stage ugh!

I HIGHLY suggest the Jawbone UP for this stuff!
    The 1st generation had a lot of issues...they have corrected those with the new one.
    The data output is amazing! More accurate than the FitBit Ultra (had that one first).
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member

I HIGHLY suggest the Jawbone UP for this stuff!
    The 1st generation had a lot of issues...they have corrected those with the new one.
    The data output is amazing! More accurate than the FitBit Ultra (had that one first).

Thanks for the info.
  • housemr
    housemr Posts: 17 Member
    thanks for all the comments. i am very excited as i just purchased the Polar FT7 from amazon (went down $10 for black/silver since i started this thread! ) and i will report back.