Not enough calories

Options
The last couple of days when I finish my food diary it tells me that I need to eat more calories. I eat when I am hungry so I am not starving myself. Does anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem....I eat when I am hungry and I eat enough to satisfy me.....and I am always waaaaaaaayyyyy under my calorie goal.

I am not quite sure how to add some healthy calories into my diet without seeming like a pig AND breaking my budget.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    How many are you eating???
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    Yesterday I had 719 calories left over, Monday I have 866 and Sunday I had 319. Like I said I am not hungry throughout the day (granted the last two days have been kinda strange).
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I really struggle eating my exercise calories. I work out a lot and it often adds 1k or more giving me 3k+ a day to find. I simply can't find 3 "healthy" meals a day with 1,000 calories for each meal...unless it was all junk and I'm not going down that route again.

Most of my main meals are between 400 to 600 and that is as close as I can get...
  • emilymorene
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem....I eat when I am hungry and I eat enough to satisfy me.....and I am always waaaaaaaayyyyy under my calorie goal.

I am not quite sure how to add some healthy calories into my diet without seeming like a pig AND breaking my budget.

I am so glad I am not the only one.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories you are eating to begin with. You should generally try to get at least 1200 calories a day. I have some days where I eat a little less than that and MFP will give me that message. If you are working out and eating enough calories, that's a slightly different story - although many on here will advocate eating your exercise calories (I am one of them).

If you want to add calories to your diet, try eggs (or at least egg whites), yogurt, or even protein shakes. I've found a few that are good and they are usually about 200 calories each. Good luck!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When you eat meals, are you choosing "low fat" or "low calorie" options? Lucky you if you are, because the easiest way to get more calories in is to just eat the "regular version" of the foods you're eating! Have that full fat salad dressing you lucky girl!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Your body needs 1200 calories to function and that’s net calories so If you only eat 1000 and work out burning 300 your body is only getting 700 calories which will most likely put you into starvation mode after doing this for a prolonged period of time which will stop you will stop loosing weight.

** That being said, if you are petite, I know several individuals who do go under 1200 regularly and I’m not going to be a dictator and MAKE you eat 1200 but it’s a good idea to try to avoid starvation mode. Only you know your body but its highly recommended. To get out of starvation mode can be a bit** since you have to start upping your calories and will gain a couple lbs initially before your body gets out of that mind-set and you can resume weight loss.

A 5' 2", 19 year old female weighing approximately 100 pounds, sitting around all day and doing nothing:
    -The heart needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
    -The kidney needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
    -The Liver needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
    -The brain needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
    -The skeletal muscle needs 30% of the calories (360 cals)

= 1200

Try to add nuts, oil, avocados, full-fat milk and yogurt to up your calories in a healthy way.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Your body needs 1200 calories to function and that’s net calories so If you only eat 1000 and work out burning 300 your body is only getting 700 calories which will most likely put you into starvation mode therefore you will stop loosing weight.

** That being said, if you are petite, I know several individuals who do go under 1200 regularly and I’m not going to be a dictator and MAKE you eat 1200 but it’s a good idea to try to avoid starvation mode. Only you know your body but its highly recommended. To get out of starvation mode can be a bit** since you have to start upping your calories and will gain a couple lbs initially before your body gets out of that mind-set and you can resume weight loss.

Try to add nuts, oil, avocados, full-fat milk and yogurt to up your calories in a healthy way.
    what she said. After browsing your diary, I don't think you're eating nearly enough.
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This has really been a struggle for me lately as well and I haven't even really been exercising! Many days I find that I am "full" and comfortable eating only 900-1100 calories. I understand that eating above starvation level is of importance but sometimes when I see at 8pm that I still have 400 calories or so it actually becomes tempting to binge eat.

It's strange because I feel like I am ALWAYS eating and that I eat so much but everyone around me says otherwise.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    As a few others have said, its pretty easy to add calories without adding a bunch of food to make you feel too full. Add nuts to a salad(or just eat them by themselves), use regular rather than fat free dressing, have a peice of celery with a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, have a glass of full fat milk, add some cheese to whatever your eating.

Also keep in mind, not feeling hungry actually can be a symptom of being in starvation mode.

Man, I only wish I had the problem of not wanting to eat more :laugh:
  • tristan83
    tristan83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you feel you are not getting enough calories then try planning and packing your food the night before. I spend about 15-30 minutes at night making and packing my choices for the next day to make sure I am on track while at my desk at work. It's easier for me to hit my personal goals and not splurge due to office temptations (darn cake!!!) or "starve" because there is nothing to eat. :smile:
  • emilymorene
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help!!!