Organic Animal products... Worth it or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Do you have a big freezer? and/or local sellers?
    I get all my beef from a local organic farmer who raises all the cattle grass fed, no hormones and is humanely raised and slaughtered. It also works out that buying half a cow at a time is WAY cheaper than buying beef from a grocery store

You also know that your meat has been individually tested and all your ground beef is from one animal.
    If it's possible in your area it might be worth looking into at least :)

yes, find a farmer. and actually talk to him and listen to how he raises and treats the animals. when i bought my half cow we talked for prob 2 hours about cows and how he raises them and other farming items. be interested, and be friendly. what kind of conversations do you have with the people who take care of you? well, this guy is taking of the food that is going to nurture your body. the meat i got from that guy is amazing. the roasts taste like filet. i made beef stew the other night from the stew meat, like butter! and, not really that much more than buying from your big box stores per lb. and the cow doesn't HAVE to be butchered by an organic certified butcher, your just paying for paperwork. so your cow gets cut on the same saw as a non-organic cow. save a few bucks if you can. eggs, again, find someone who raises and sells them. you find the right farmers and i can guarantee you won't be paying a whole lot more than what you pay in the store. and what little more you do pay is well worth it.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As far as eggs go, don't always think cage free, free range or vegetarian fed eggs are best. There is a HUGE gap as to what cage free & free range actually mean. It could easily mean they are in hen houses with a small door that has access to a small, enclosed concrete patio. And chickens aren't vegetarians, they are foragers meant to eat bugs etc which makes them better for us. I spend $7/dozen on organic, PASTURE raised eggs & they are worth the (sadly) hefty price.

It's the 100% grass-fed, pastured raised meats, eggs & dairy I don't have to often worry about. It's all definitely worth all the research.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the links! I'll have to check them out... I also googled a list of local farmers and emailed them to see if I could get their policy on the animals they raise, and a pricelist.