Tracking weight watcher points and no weight loss

Options
Please look at my diary and give me suggestions. About 5 years ago I had success with tracking weight watchers points and I lost about 30 pounds. Since then I have had 2 children. Since the points system worked for me then I decided to follow that plan again, except for this time around I am not losing any weight. I eat around 20 pts which is around 1000 calories. I know you guys are gonna think that is too low, but like I said I had success before doing this. I don't know if mt body has changed from getting older or what. The last 2 weeks I have also been running around 2 miles everyday. I do eat 2 extra points from doing this. I have been reading about the tdee and stuff and it confuses me. I am 29, 5'2" and weight 147. My goal weight is around 125. Please help....

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Please look at my diary and give me suggestions. About 5 years ago I had success with tracking weight watchers points and I lost about 30 pounds. Since then I have had 2 children. Since the points system worked for me then I decided to follow that plan again, except for this time around I am not losing any weight. I eat around 20 pts which is around 1000 calories. I know you guys are gonna think that is too low, but like I said I had success before doing this. I don't know if mt body has changed from getting older or what. The last 2 weeks I have also been running around 2 miles everyday. I do eat 2 extra points from doing this. I have been reading about the tdee and stuff and it confuses me. I am 29, 5'2" and weight 147. My goal weight is around 125. Please help....

You've answered your own question. You know you are eating too low. You eat another 2 points? From what I've read on WW forums that equates to around 80 cals. You will be burning far more than that by running 2 miles.

TDEE is simple. Based on your stats I've found this calculation:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1740
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1994
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2248
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2501
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2755

Pick the one that is most applicable to you (be honest) and eat 20% below that.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options

You've answered your own question. You know you are eating too low. You eat another 2 points? From what I've read on WW forums that equates to around 80 cals. You will be burning far more than that by running 2 miles.

TDEE is simple. Based on your stats I've found this calculation:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1740
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1994
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2248
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2501
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2755

Pick the one that is most applicable to you (be honest) and eat 20% below that.

brilliant!
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In addition to tracking points, you need to follow the healthy food guidelines in order for the plan to work. Based on your food diary, you are eating all processed foods. There's minimal to no fruit, veggies, dairy, oil, etc. I also agree that you probably are not eating enough calories (or points) for your weight and activity level.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    20 old point or 20 "points plus" points? You're starving yourself if it's the latter. My mom is your size and is losing weight eating over 30 points plus per day.
  • Joeb6l2
    Joeb6l2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers several years ago also and had success with the points program.
    After starting MFP and just entering the calories I again am having success.
    When I first started the change I went and looked for the things I used to eat, and it became apparent that the points system must have changed as some things didn't "add" up.

I have stuck with either entering the values from labels or scanning them which is a huge time saver for me.
    The one thing I have read was to be consistent with your eating: time, quantity, daily values.

Best of luck to you!!
  • cjacole
    cjacole Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    20 old points, before when I lost all my weight I was eating 18 pts
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    In addition to tracking points, you need to follow the healthy food guidelines in order for the plan to work. Based on your food diary, you are eating all processed foods. There's minimal to no fruit, veggies, dairy, oil, etc. I also agree that you probably are not eating enough calories (or points) for your weight and activity level.

^^^^ this^^^^^
  • cjacole
    Options
    maybe I will up my cals to around 1600 and see what that does
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Up your points, or dump WW completely and just try counting your calories here. I have had success using the WW system to lose about 4-5 pounds but then I stagnate... and that 4-5 pounds always comes back on (and brings its friends with it) when i go off the program. of course, that was before I learned from the wonderful people here about BMR and TDEE and learned WW was giving me too few calories.
  • cjacole
    Options
    Im so use to eating around 1000 calories Im afraid Im going to gain if I up to 1600
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I feel as though I need to reiterate the importance of incorporating healthier foods into your diet. Your diary doesn't show that you are eating any fruits or veggies, only processed meals. You can certainly increase your caloric intake. If your still adding in processed foods, you will likely see the same results.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the new point plus program? WW is designed to help you lose when you eat exactly the points it calculates for you- so if you're going to stick with it, don't eat under your points! You can still lose eating over, as long as you don't go over your additional weekly allowance. And I'll echo everybody else- start eating healthier foods instead of processed everything. It doesn't have to be all or nothing- if you can start swapping one processed thing for a natural healthy food just once a day to begin with then that's a start
  • doowa
    doowa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel as though I need to reiterate the importance of incorporating healthier foods into your diet. Your diary doesn't show that you are eating any fruits or veggies, only processed meals. You can certainly increase your caloric intake. If your still adding in processed foods, you will likely see the same results.

This!! you can eat SO much more an not be hungry if you add in fruits and vegetables! I would starve eating how you're eating.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump