In the market for a pedometer, any helpful hints?

Options
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a pedometer with a calorie burn estimate. I've scanned around a little and I've found it difficult (with all the options out there) to determine which one I should get. I'm currently a student, living off my savings, so any suggestions that are reasonable in price would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit 1, which is about $99 but they have another version fitbit zip for around $49 (even saw it on sale at target a bit cheaper) Love mine, Tracks steps, stairs, sleep, calories, miles. My daughter loves hers, and we've both gotten MFP and personal friends hooked on it. Takes a bit of playing with it to figure out how it syncs with MFP, but when I see negative calories on my food diary, I work harder to turn the negatives into a positive!!

Just google fitbit, or any of the other models you are considering in the MFP community site and you'll get lots of feedback!!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    With calorie counting...the fitbit. They have a few versions out now.
  • cp6939
    Options
    I have the Pedusa (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XID80O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00). It's durable, has a step counter, calorie counter, distance tracker, 7 day memory, clock, and goal setting. I didn't want to spend a lot, it's only $16.50, and this one turned out to be great!! It's cute too :happy:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit zip. 64$ on amazon for us!
  • shellykzoo
    shellykzoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fitbit!!!!! It works right along with MFP! I have a Fitbit Zip but just found my One and will switch to that. I also have a Fitbit Aria scale and LOVE it! It instantly records my weight right to MFP!
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump.
    Me too.
  • Cathy060
    Options
    I love my fitbit!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like my Nike+
  • happythermia
    Options
    another vote for fitbit!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Depends...if you want to use your phone, Runtastic has a Pedometer app. iPod Nano has a built-in pedometer, plus can sync with Nike+ and stores music and weighs like nothing. FitBit has always had rave reviews...honestly though...if you just want to track steps, go to Walmart and get a nice cheepo one for $10. If you want free, try looking for apps for your phone, assuming your phone supports that kind of thing.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Ultra. Works a treat!
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    The fitbit. I love mine, got it a few months ago and I will most likely get the new one (Flex) that is coming out in spring. For a budget, the fitbit zip.

http://www.fitbit.com/zip
  • wsalusky
    wsalusky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If all you want is the step counter and calorie estimator, I recommend the fitbit zip.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one but it is a bit pricey for a college student. Love it! Used to use an Omron pedometer and it was a good one as well and it ran more in the $20 to $30 range. What I like about the Fitbit is that it automatically updates my stats to the web and updates MFP as well.
  • aslteacher5
    aslteacher5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does a fitbit go on the wrist or the waist? I need something on the wrist or ankle.
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    My Striiv arrived DOA and hates my iPad...so until I get a new iPhone in a few months, I'm I'm thinking about this

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_z

$25, and less than a minute to add it at the end of the day.
  • Andyandyandyandyandy
    Options
    I got mine from my local library -- for FREE!
    I just have to renew every few weeks and return it when I'm not using it anymore. I think the library has like 50 or 100 or something so they aren't missing it too badly if I have it out for an extended period.

I'm doing a step challenge and probably won't use it again once I'm done (which is why I'm borrowing it rather than buying my own). I'm tracking daily and it gives me a good idea of how much I walk on average so when I return it I'll still have a good idea of whats going on. Unless of course I'm doing an unusual amount of walking and want to start tracking steps again. I don't log the calories as exercise unless I am out walking specifically for exercise. Daily required movement doesn't count IMO. Unless I'm constantly to-ing and fro-ing and working up a good heart rate.

Just proposing to check out your local resources which can help alleviate or eliminate the cost of purchasing one :)
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Seems I am repeating, however........fitbit zip for me
  • Heather4275
    Heather4275 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Fitbit, it's the best on the market in all the reviews.:smile:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have an older version of this model pedometer. I have been very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360698278&sr=1-1&keywords=omron+hj-112

It will tell you ...
    Steps you take
    Miles walked (based on your stride. If you take a lot of small steps, the miles will be overestimated. Walking in place is exercise, but you never really go far)
    Aerobic steps (brisk walking, jogging, running for at least 10 continuous minutes)
    Calories burned (only while stepping, not while sitting, resting, etc.)

What it won't tell you...
    How many TOTAL calories you've burned in a day, like the Fitbit One can do.

Question for Fitbit users, how does the Fitbit calculate daily calorie burns? (ie: calorie burn during non-stepping time?)