Overnight Oats

Options
GoTeamMeaghan
GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
So I've seen overnight oats on Intsagram but couldn't figure out why anyone would want mushy, cold oatmeal. After giving this a try, it is my new favorite breakfast. It's not like oatmeal at all and the chia seeds make it really thick, almost like a pudding.

Overnight Oats

1/2 c old fashioned oats
1/2 c plain greek yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
2/3 c milk (I used silk light soy milk)
1 T chia seeds
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t vanilla
2 t stevia (or whatever sweetener you use)

Add all ingredients to a lidded container. Stir to combine. Cover & let sit in fridge overnight. Add any kind of fresh fruit in the morning (I usually use strawberries or blueberries). 335 calories, 22g protein

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats, but the way I like it best is to just use the oats and yogurt....throw in a few frozen blueberries and some sugar-free Torani vanilla syrup.....great breakfast for the summer.
    This time of year, I like hot oatmeal.
    Kaye
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat my overnight oats cold, too! I just mix mine with almond milk and that's it. I love it. I prefer old-fashioned oats, but the quick ones are fine, too.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Dumb question(s), do you heat them up before you eat them? Does it work with steel cut oats?
  • Butterfly483
    Butterfly483 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My to-go oatmeal recipe is:
    1/2 c old fashioned oats in a small thermos
    add 1 cup of hot almond, soy or regular milk
    stir and close thermos

Should be perfect in about an hour!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Dumb question(s), do you heat them up before you eat them? Does it work with steel cut oats?

Not a dumb question- I eat them cold because I'm not sure how I feel about yogurt heated up but it's totally up to you. Any kind of oats will work fine.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat overnight oats almost every morning, and love them. I never liked oatmeal before, but it was the texture and not the taste. I thought they were kind of gooey and slimy, but eating this way is perfect for me!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My friend makes what he calls an "Oatie", where he soaks oatmeal overnight and then blends it with an immersion blender with some fruit, juice, etc. He's one of those guys who can't ever gain weight and this started when we were lifting heavy and he was having a hard time getting enough calories. He has dairy issues and stays away from milk and eggs so this was a good way to get some morning calories in his system. I think it looks nasty and I don't think I'd try it, but he's been doing it for years now.
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options

My 1st post here.

I've been playing around with steel cut oat in a small crock pot overnight. I've done this twice so far. Ratio has been 1 cup steel cut oats to 2 cups water and some salt. I need to cut down on the amount of oats. The bottom part never really soaks up enough water and gets dry and sticks the the sides. I'll post again tomorrow if I get the ratio right.

I just eat 'em plain. I have an anti sweet tooth so no fruit and I don't really like yogurt or milk.
  • cathy071099
    Options
    No other ingredents? Just the oats and milk?:smile:
  • nonniArteaga
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First, I lightly oil the insides of the slow cooker. (One day, I'll do that with butter or coconut oil)
    Then I drop a sliced and diced apple and a small handful of raisins/craisins.
    Then I sprinkle some cinnamon on top of that.
    I pour the oats on top. (2 cups)
    then water + milk (4 cups)

It's ready to go when I wake up. It's ridiculously easy and smells awesome when I wake up.
  • lei1111
    Options
    i love to do this in a jar then sit overnight in the fridge. you can even make a whole weeks worth. its yummy and so convienient.
    oats
    liquid (water, milk, soy, yoghurt, whatever you prefer)
    oats and liquid in equal parts
    fruit or applesauce
    honey or sweetner if desired. yummy.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No other ingredents? Just the oats and milk?:smile:

Who, me?

Yes, really, just oats and milk, equal parts.

Mix them in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.

Next day, stir it up and eat. Cold. Sometimes I add cinnamon, if I think of it. Usually I don't add anything though.