Can you really lose the mom tummy? REALLY?

Options
My question is are there really enough crunches in the world to tighten up the dreaded mom tummy...I've lost all the weight and the more I lose, the worse it gets. I had two 9 lb babies and now I'm left with a kangaroo pouch minus the joey. It's gross and I'm considering cosmetic surgery...has anyone out there actually gotten their smooth, pretty tummy back just by exercising?

Replies

• lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I know there was a similar post a couple of weeks ago and there were AMAZING before and after pictures! I'm in the same boat although my youngest is 9 :) . I am not sure how to search for that thread but maybe someone else does and will post the link...
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would like to have children someday and this would be great info to have :p
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Although I have quite a bit to go, I am also curious. I had two c-sections and two additional abdominal surgeries at the same incision site. I wonder if those muscles still work at all!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have done sit ups and core strength exercises so my tummy muscles are very firm, but I can't shift the post baby belly fat and my youngest is 11!! I lost it quite easily with the first 3 children, but put on a lot more weight with baby 4, and it's where the fat goes on first with me.
  • Scorpia1997
    Scorpia1997 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My youngest is about to turn 4 and I've lost the vast majority of my weight, but I still have the extra skin. I know that it really is different for everyone. I am jealous of the ones who were able to spring back so quickly. My kids are less than 2 years apart, so I'm going to guess that's part of my problem...

Alas! I guess I'll have to deal or start saving for the surgery!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you work hard enough of course you can. There are plenty of mom's out there with flat toned tummies. Age and how much you gained during pregnancy can play a large role in how long it takes. If you were very obese it's possible that the loose skin could be more of a problem than the fat.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I was looking in the Sucess Stories last night. I can't remember the name of the thread, but one lady has twins and a singleton by c sections, and she looked amazing!! Her tummy was so toned and smooth. I am thinking if she has that great of results, then I should be able to get something going on mine!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you define as a "mommy tummy". If you are talking just loose, wrinkly skin...than, sadly, nope...only surgery will fix that.

If you are talking about the pouching out of the stomach wall, then yes....that can be fixed. Maybe not completely back to pre-baby...but you can make it better.

I am one who HATES direct ab work. I hate it with a passion, so I try to avoid it. I've had 3 babies in 4 years, my last being a hair under 9lbs. Ever since my middle son was born, I felt like I always had a pouching out of my abdomen. At time, I felt like it made me look 4-5 month pregnant.

I started eating at a small deficit and lifting heavy (doing compund lifts) 3 times per week. I do run, but only because I really love it...and that has really toned down since the winter started. I've been lifting since September and finally, after 3 babies and 7 years...I purchased my very first bikini this past weekend! (pic in my profile)

ETA: my first baby was born c-section so I also had that to deal with.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have seem women on this board who have kids and have AMAZING bodies. The common link between all of them is they lift weights. I also think it has a LOT to do with how you carried your baby. My daughter was a hair under 9 lbs and 22 inches long. I am 4'11" and went past due 2 weeks. The fact that my stomach was four feet around on my delivery date I think has a lot to do with the extra skin that is left. It has firmed up A LOT over the past year or so on its own (My daughter will be 3 in May). I also had an emergency C section and there seems to be a pouch of skin right above my incision that I have had since the surgery. But, its getting smaller!! I think with a lot of hard work you can get back to a flat stomach. Or, you can just relish in your success at losing and getting to goal and be done with it. lol
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you define as a "mommy tummy". If you are talking just loose, wrinkly skin...than, sadly, nope...only surgery will fix that.

If you are talking about the pouching out of the stomach wall, then yes....that can be fixed. Maybe not completely back to pre-baby...but you can make it better.

I am one who HATES direct ab work. I hate it with a passion, so I try to avoid it. I've had 3 babies in 4 years, my last being a hair under 9lbs. Ever since my middle son was born, I felt like I always had a pouching out of my abdomen. At time, I felt like it made me look 4-5 month pregnant.

I started eating at a small deficit and lifting heavy (doing compund lifts) 3 times per week. I do run, but only because I really love it...and that has really toned down since the winter started. I've been lifting since September and finally, after 3 babies and 7 years...I purchased my very first bikini this past weekend! (pic in my profile)

WOAH LADY! You look amazing!! Huge motivation for me to continue on this path! I would have never guessed you had kids OR a C section!!! Seriously in awe!
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My tummy area now looks lovely when I stand upright but when I do planks or pushups there is this pouch of skin hanging down.
    Not pretty but I don't mind really, no one will see that.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

WOAH LADY! You look amazing!! Huge motivation for me to continue on this path! I would have never guessed you had kids OR a C section!!! Seriously in awe!

thank you so very much. Honestly.....I believed I would never get here (comfortable in a bikini). I got down to what I considered my "ideal weight" and I still had this pouched out stomach. I still do to a degree on the very lower abdomen. That's when I decided that cardio alone wasn't going to cut it for me. I needed to change my body composition. I just remind myself that, for me, it seems to be the very last place that I lose fat. As long as my body fat % keeps going down (slowly....very, very slowly), the extra flab on my tummy will too.
    Not to beat a dead horse......honestly, the most positive changes I saw came with the heavy lifting. The lifting is what is changing (for the better) the actual 'shape' of my body. Plus...it's making me crazy strong ;)