Best time to exercise?

Options
Hi all. I would like some opinions on the best time to exercise. I cannot (or won't I should say) get up early to do my workout. I joined my neighborhood gym yesterday and won't be able to go until my daughter is in bed. So, my exercise will be after 9pm at night and on weekends. I have been trying to workout at home doing Zumba, but I really want some me time as well to work out.

Any comments, ideas and opinions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The best time is the time you'll actually do it.

That said, you might want to at least try morning workouts for a couple of reasons - one, some people have trouble sleeping after working out (because it does energize you, and why not get that energy boost in the morning?) and two, if you get it out of the way first thing then it's one less thing to worry about for the rest of the day, and you're less likely to say "ugh, what a crappy day, I just want to veg out on the sofa, forget the stupid gym." And you might find that you actually like it.

But if you already know what works for you, then do that. You're already a step ahead of the game!
  • martinh78
    Options
    :huh:

After 9pm on weekdays and weekends would be the best time for you I think
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    During the night, your body enters a fasting state. Your brain and internal organs still require energy, however you are not providing food. So your body actually consumes stored fat during that time to provide that energy. When you get up in the morning, your body stays in that state until you eat solid food, more or less. And if you work out (without eating breakfast yet), you will burn as much as 20% more fat than in workouts later in the day. There are several studies that show this to be the case. The absolutely best time to work out is within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.

That said, if that just won't work, then exercise at all is better than none.
  • marysaiz81
    Options
    Don't put to much strain on the time you workout..... JUST WORKOUT! Any time is better than no time:laugh: I am unable to workout in the morning due to getting the kids up and ready for school and dropping them off. However I have found that I have to workout as soon as I get home from work, or I won't do it at all! So no matter what time I get in the door in the evening, working out is the first thing I do. It only takes me 30-45 minutes max and I feel great after. Cooking dinner, doing laundry, helping with homework..... That is a breeze after I finished working out! I feel energized. So do what works for you 9pm is perfect!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to work out. You have to commit to working out and making it a priority in your life.
    That being said, try evening workouts and see how they work. If they don't, then you'll have to decide if sleeping later or getting healthy is more important.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The best time is the time you'll actually do it.

This
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The best time is when you'll do it consistently. You have to make it a habit, for me, that means a routine is key. I'm up at 4:30 to workout before my kids wake up. It sucks, but I've been doing it for almost 2 years now. It's a habit, it's routine, and I couldn't always guarantee I'd workout after work. There's too many excuses later in the day, there's none first thing, at least for me. If 9 pm works for you and doesn't interfere with your sleep schedule, then do it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The best time is when you'll do it consistently. You have to make it a habit, for me, that means a routine is key. I'm up at 4:30 to workout before my kids wake up. It sucks, but I've been doing it for almost 2 years now. It's a habit, it's routine, and I couldn't always guarantee I'd workout after work. There's too many excuses later in the day, there's none first thing, at least for me. If 9 pm works for you and doesn't interfere with your sleep schedule, then do it.

I definitely agree that the same time every day is best. After a couple weeks, the time to workout will come and you will just automatically do it, because that's what happens at 9pm or whatever you decide. I work out right after work, around 6 or 7, and I even tend to work out at that time on weekends just because I'm so used to it.
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to work out every night after my kids were in bed. I hated it. I was staying up later, not sleeping as well, and I dreaded it all day. Now I get on the treadmill as soon as I wake up and I do the 30DS during the kids' nap. This works much better for me and gives me more energy for the afternoon.

That all being said, you need to do what works best for you. And if you try in the evening and it doesn't work or you hate it, then change it. Nothing is set in concrete.
  • gellar76
    gellar76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually get my workout in between 8 and 9 during the week. I have more time in the day on the weekends, so I'm earlier then. I literally CAN NOT bring myself to get up and workout in the mornings. I've tried. Not happening for this guy.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    During the night, your body enters a fasting state. Your brain and internal organs still require energy, however you are not providing food. So your body actually consumes stored fat during that time to provide that energy. When you get up in the morning, your body stays in that state until you eat solid food, more or less. And if you work out (without eating breakfast yet), you will burn as much as 20% more fat than in workouts later in the day. There are several studies that show this to be the case. The absolutely best time to work out is within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.

That said, if that just won't work, then exercise at all is better than none.

Can you please share some of these studies?
    Do they control for energy balance or are they strictly looking at substrate utilization during the training bout?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I would like some opinions on the best time to exercise. I cannot (or won't I should say) get up early to do my workout. I joined my neighborhood gym yesterday and won't be able to go until my daughter is in bed. So, my exercise will be after 9pm at night and on weekends. I have been trying to workout at home doing Zumba, but I really want some me time as well to work out.

My belief is that the timing of your workouts will not matter provided that we are comparing identical workouts/intakes/etc and only varying the time of the training bout.

That being said, the timing of your training may effect performance and it may effect sleep/etc, so you should really choose the time based on lifestyle/performance/preference.
  • skittles137
    skittles137 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings. It makes me feel better and more awake throughout the day. When I do work out at night I can't go to sleep so I think it's all about preferences and your body's reaction to the workout.
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great responses. I am so not a morning person, so I know that I will excuse my way out of a workout. I am more of night owl, so I thought that this would give me some me time while doing what I need to do. I have been working out as soon as I get home, however, I contend with a 5 year old and 3 dogs...so I wanted some quiet time...away from all of the distractions. My goal is to workout 6 days a week, 3 at home and 3 at the gym. Just to give me some balance. Thanks again!!
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I am not a morning person... That being said...
    I split my workout. 20 mins in the morning, and 20 in the evening. I'm lucky I my kids are now 12 and 10, and the dogs are trained to lay on their bed on command, so I can get some time to get my exercise in.
    I personally could not exercise at 9 at night and sleep... But then I have to be at work at 7 some days and 7:30 some and 7:40 others.

Like others have said do what will work for YOU!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i start at 4am.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you know that you will absolutely not last waking super early in the morning....don't work out super early in the morning. I'm also not a super early bird. I don't like to wake up an earlier than I have to. I'd rather work out at 10pm than at 4 am.

Just be careful with the goal of exercising 6 days a week to start....going from 0 to 6 days/week might set you up for a burnout or feeling overwhelmed. What about setting a more modest goal of 3-4 days per week?
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Mornings
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been working out around 4-5 days a week consistently. I just wanted to make some of the time for me. Just getting overwhelmed with all of the extracurricular that occurs trying to workout right when I get home.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Given your situation, it sounds like weekdays after 9p and any time on weekends will probably be best for you.

However, that wouldn't work for me. I have trouble falling asleep for at least 2-3 hours after a workout, so if I want a full night's sleep...(and I generally do)...then no workouts for me after 7p. I generally wake up early for mine (even though I never thought I would be able to...and now, I actually enjoy it...most days).

And based on what I've read about timing, whatever tiny difference there *may* be between fasted, non-fasted or some circadian rhythm or lunar phases or whatever, I am confident that it will less important than picking a time that works for you and your schedule. People throughout history have been remarkably successful exercising in the morning, they've been successful exercising in the middle of the day, and they've been successful exercising at night. Don't let those picky details derail you from doing something.