chia seeds?

Options
hello!
i have started taking chia seeds for fiber instead of the powdered stuff (i really do try to do as much natural supplements as possible) what do yall think about chia seeds? helpful? not? should i take other supplements (i take a multivitamin and vitamineral greens)
thanks!

Replies

• TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just started putting them in my morning oatmeal (the kind you refridgerate overnight) and I love them! They get to be a "gel-like" texture. Heard a ton of wonderful stuff on them regarding nutrients. Here is the link: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If it helps you hit your goal #s, go for it. I like them. I like to mix 1/4c almond milk, 1/4c coconut milk, 1T chia seeds, 1t honey and a pinch of coconut flakes/shreds. Shake and refrigerate overnight (or up to 5 days), then stir before you eat it. The seeds soak up the liquid and it's a little sweet from the honey/coconut. My gf compared it to tapioca pudding in consistency (which I've never had).
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Put them in my Activia every morning. LOVE these little dino eggs :wink:
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
  • nodellsj
    nodellsj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    terrific!!! i've been taking a shot of them each morning (half chia seeds half organic cranbery juice) does it matter if i digest them mostly dry or do they need to sit and goop up before i take them?
    thanks yall!! glad to know im doing something good :>
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    terrific!!! i've been taking a shot of them each morning (half chia seeds half organic cranbery juice) does it matter if i digest them mostly dry or do they need to sit and goop up before i take them?

I was wondering the same thing about them dry vs goopy. I guess that they get gooey in your tummy so it might not matter! I don't like letting them sit in liquid to get slimy - it grosses me out coz they look like frog eggs. ew.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I got a packet in the summer to add them to my water whilst running, kind of like drinking tadpoles but helped my stitch and this thread reminded me I had them so might try adding a tbsp to my morning shake :)
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    ya i like watching them grow on top of clay creatures heads.. last one we had was donkey from shrek .
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    "Like drinking tadpoles" hahaha! Love it! I am curious about these chia seeds.. shall have to investigate further!
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing about them dry vs goopy. I guess that they get gooey in your tummy so it might not matter! I don't like letting them sit in liquid to get slimy - it grosses me out coz they look like frog eggs. ew.

Runners here may have read 'Born to Run' . The Tarahumara ate dry Chia seeds whilst they ran 100's of miles with no other sustenance.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just bought some chia seeds today and was wondering how much to have daily.. is it possible to have too many in a day? Sorry if it is a silly question, but I have no idea.
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started trying them because I have stomach issues and it was recommeded from the Dr to have 1 Tbsp to 2 Tbsp daily. I either mix it with oatmeal, greek yogurt, or protein shakes. I don't wait till it gets gooey, what can I say I am a texture person so I don't think I would be able to eat them if they were too squishy. Let's just say I usually eat 1/2 serving a day and my stomach isn't bothering me as much as it use to! I recommend them to lots of people. Oh, I have tried them in muffin recipes (replacements for flax seeds) and they were good!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds are Amazing with Exceptional Health Benefits

*** For those of you who consume it dry --> can cause digestive issues ..

Chia Seeds are packed full of Fiber, Protein, Nutrient oils, various Antioxidants and even Calcium.

Studies show that chia seeds stabilize the blood sugar, lower our risks for cardiovascular disease, as well as increase weight loss. These amazing little seeds are an excellent source of high-quality fats, as they are made up of a whopping 34% pure omega-3 oils.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds are Amazing with Exceptional Health Benefits

*** For those of you who consume it dry --> can cause digestive issues ..

Chia Seeds are packed full of Fiber, Protein, Nutrient oils, various Antioxidants and even Calcium.

Studies show that chia seeds stabilize the blood sugar, lower our risks for cardiovascular disease, as well as increase weight loss. These amazing little seeds are an excellent source of high-quality fats, as they are made up of a whopping 34% pure omega-3 oils.

I didn't know that slimy is better! Guess I'll have to learn to drink them tadpoles!

And does anyone know how chia compares to flaxseed? I use flaxseed daily and like it. Can I use both chia and flax or is that too much?
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just bought some chia seeds today and was wondering how much to have daily.. is it possible to have too many in a day? Sorry if it is a silly question, but I have no idea.

not a silly question, but 1 serving (1 tablespoon) has 16% of your fiber for the day so just keep that in mind :)
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    ^^^ not necessarily slimy ... I mix them into Smoothies -- I put them first with liquid ( Almond Milk) so by the time you add other ingredients and blend ... grind ... blend ... liquidify ... 7-10 minutes has passed giving it time to soak a bit :) ... Otherwise I don't leave it sitting as I consume it almost immediately :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ...cannot resist...

chia_zps3c8c360c.png

...becuz i eet yu...
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options

not a silly question, but 1 serving (1 tablespoon) has 16% of your fiber for the day so just keep that in mind :)

Oh wow, that's amazing! Will definitely keep that in mind. :) Thank you!