Summer Grilling!

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
It's that time again....what's your favorites on the grill?

I love fresh corn on the cob and pork tenderloin - both grilled nothing fancy but oh so good! What's your favorites?

I cut the ends off the corn leaving it in the shuck-soak in water 5 minutes-lay on the grill. For the pork, I season with whatever multi seasoning I happen to have (Seasoned Salt, Mrs Dash, or the McCormick Grill seasonings) and grill it.

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    chicken with montreal seasoning, portobello mushrooms with just a little bbq sauce.
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    Options
    bbq chicken..... potato slices with onions wrapped in tinfoil with butter on the grill yum yum! im drooling already ...i need to buy a grill first! lol that would help! :laugh:
  • LRogers2
    LRogers2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love Grilled Asparagus. With some EVOO and Tony's Creole Seasoning... MMM They are so Yummy.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my favorite is some smoked pork shoulder, smoked nice and slow for 6-8 hours, with a nice homemade rub. It doesn't exactly fit into the plan well, so it is a once or twice a summer treat.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I love to grill year round.

THE TONGMASTER

Mike was at the barbecue and Dwight was at the barbecue and I was at the barbecue; three men standing around a barbecue, sipping beer, staring at sausages, rolling them backwards and forwards, never leaving them alone. We didn't know why we were at the barbecue; we were just drawn there like moths to a flame. The barbecue was a powerful gravitational force, a man-magnet. Dwight said the thin ones could use a turn, I said yeah I reckon the thin ones could use a turn, Mike said yeah they really need a turn it was a unanimous turning decision.
    Mike was the Tong-Master, a true artist, he gave a couple of practice snaps of his long silver tongs, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of his wrist, rolling them onto their little backs. A lesser tong-man would've flicked too hard; the sausages would've gone full circle, back to where they started. Nice, I said. The others went yeah.
    Ron was passing us, he heard the siren-song- sizzle of the snags, the barbecue was calling, beckoning, Ronnnnnn ...come. He stuck his head in and said any room? We said yeah and began the barbecue shuffle; Mike shuffled to the left, Dwight shuffled to the left, I shuffled to the left, Ron slipped in beside me, we sipped our beer. Now there were four of us staring at sausages, and Mike gave me the nod, my cue. I was second-in-command, and I had to take the raw sausages out of the plastic bag and lay them on the barbecue; not too close together, not too far apart, curl them into each other's bodies like lovers -fat ones, thin ones, herbed and continental. The jalapenos were tiny, they could easily slip down between the grill, falling into the molten hot-bead-netherworld below. Carefully I laid them sideways ACROSS the grill, clever thinking. Mike snapped his tongs with approval; there was no greater barbecue honour.
    Carlos came along, he said looking good, the irresistible lure of the barbecue had pulled him in too. We said yeah and did the shuffle, left, left, left, left, he slipped in beside Ron, we sipped our beer. Five men, lots of sausages. Dwight was the Fork-pronger; he had the fork that pronged the tough hides of the Bavarian bratwursts and he showed a lot of promise. Stabbing away eagerly, leaving perfect little vampire holes up and down the casing. Carlos was shaking his head, he said I reckon they cook better if you don't poke them.
    There was a long silence, you could have heard a jalapeno drop, and this newcomer was a rabble-rouser, bringing in his crazy ideas from outside. He didn't understand the hierarchy; first the Tong-master, then the Sausage-layer, then the Fork-pronger -and everyone below was just a watcher. Maybe eventually they'll move up the ladder, but for now -don't rock the Weber.

Dianne popped her head in; hmmm, smells good, she said. She was trying to jostle into the circle; we closed ranks, pulling our heads down and our shoulders in, mumbling yeah yeah yeah, but making no room for her. She was keen, going round to the far side of the barbecue, heading for the only available space . . . the gap in the circle where all the smoke and ashes blew. Nobody could survive the gap; Dianne was going to try. She stood there stubbornly, smoke blinding her eyes, ashes filling her nostrils, sausage fat spattering all over her arms and face. Until she couldn't take it anymore, she gave up, backed off. Ron waited till she was gone and sipped his beer. We sipped our beer, yeah.
    Mike handed me his tongs. I looked at him and he nodded. I knew what was happening, I'd waited a long time for this moment - the abdication. The tongs weighed heavy in my hands, firm in my grip - was I ready for the responsibility? Yes, I was. I held them up high and they glinted in the sun. Don't forget to turn the thin ones Mike said as he walked away from the barbecue, disappearing toward the house. Yeah I called back, I will, I will. I snapped them twice, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of my wrist, rolling them back onto their little bellies. I was a natural, I was the TONG-MASTER.
    But only until Mike got back from the toilet.
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    Mmmm Salmon -
    A little EVOO & Old Bay - grill each side 4 mins remove skin. Awesome!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE chicken recipe for BBQ

1 t. dijon mustard
    2 T. lemon juice
    6 T. olive oil
    1 T. minced parsley
    1 1/4 t. sugar
    1 T. minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
    2 T. water
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 to 8 ounces each) trimmed of excess fat

Whisk together mustard, 1 T. lemon juice, 3 T. olive oil, parsley, 1/4 t. sugar, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper in small bowl. Set aside

Marinade - Whisk together remaining tablespoon lemon juice, reaining 3 T. olive oil, remaining t. sugar, 1 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, garlic and water in medium bowl.

Place marinade and chicken in gallon-sized zipper lock bag and toss to coat; press out as much air as possible & reseal bag. Refrigerate 30 minutes, flipping bag after 15 minutes.

Prep the grill...blahblahblah...
    Grill the chicken... blahblahblah

Serve chicken with reserved liquid from step one as dipping sauce.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Marinated Barbequed Vegetables
    Rated:

Submitted By: Stackhawkley
    Photo By: Allrecipes
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 5 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
    Servings: 5

"The garlic, lemon and basil marinade infuses veggies with an unmistakably delicious flavor. These veggies go great with just about anything!"
    Ingredients:
    1 small eggplant, cut into 3/4 inch thick
    slices
    2 small red bell peppers, seeded and cut
    into wide strips
    3 zucchinis, sliced 6 fresh mushrooms, stems removed
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Directions:
    1. Place eggplant, red bell peppers, zucchinis and fresh mushrooms in a medium bowl.
    2. In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, basil and garlic. Pour the mixture over the vegetables, cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
    3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
    4. Place vegetables directly on the grill or on skewers. Cook on the prepared grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, brushing frequently with the marinade, or to desired doneness.

Going to try it but with less oil - use half oil half water---I'll let you know.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    * Baby back ribs cooked slow in the smoker with a bowl of Southern Comfort & apple juice, then finished off on the grill with some Stubb's BBQ sauce
    * skewers of zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, mushrooms, & pineapple sprinkled with a little seasoning and evoo
    * corn on the cob
    *BBQ shrimp & scallops wrapped in bacon
    I could go on, but I'm getting hungry just thinking about it all and dinner is too far off.
  • shanman
    shanman Posts: 16
    Options
    This is AMAZING on the grill...it has become an every other week staple in my house!!

http://www.jennieo.com/products/SeasonedBreastMeat/teriyakisesamegingertenderloin.aspx
  • cowboybrown
    Options
    WOW, corn on the grill, I could just eat corn on the grill and wash down with a 6pk of beer and be set. Hmmmm corn.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    - shrimp
    - chicken
    - steak
    - chicken kabobs: bell peppers, red onions, regular onions, PINEAPPLE.

yuuuuuuuuuuuum
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I usually just grill chicken with different seasonings or a little bbq sauce and put veggies in a foil bag on the grill too. I also just wanted to bump this page so I had more ideas for this summer from everyone :)
  • circusmom
    Options
    WOW, corn on the grill, I could just eat corn on the grill and wash down with a 6pk of beer and be set. Hmmmm corn.
    My thoughts exactly, ....we're having corn tonight, I can't wait!
  • circusmom
    Options
    Can't believe I didn't post this one, I just made this on Sunday....cut a sweet potato in half lengthwise inbetween the two pieces place two moistened Honey Vanilla chamomile tea bags, put the potato back together, wrap in foil and cook on the grill (you can do this in the oven too), top with a little butter & cinnamon. Oh MY!!! ( I also use Honey Vanilla Chai, or regular Chai)
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options

From Vallandingham:

I love to grill year round.

THE TONGMASTER

Mike was at the barbecue and Dwight was at the barbecue and I was at the barbecue; three men standing around a barbecue, sipping beer, staring at sausages, rolling them backwards and forwards, never leaving them alone. We didn't know why we were at the barbecue; we were just drawn there like moths to a flame. The barbecue was a powerful gravitational force, a man-magnet. Dwight said the thin ones could use a turn, I said yeah I reckon the thin ones could use a turn, Mike said yeah they really need a turn it was a unanimous turning decision.
    Mike was the Tong-Master, a true artist, he gave a couple of practice snaps of his long silver tongs, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of his wrist, rolling them onto their little backs. A lesser tong-man would've flicked too hard; the sausages would've gone full circle, back to where they started. Nice, I said. The others went yeah.
    Ron was passing us, he heard the siren-song- sizzle of the snags, the barbecue was calling, beckoning, Ronnnnnn ...come. He stuck his head in and said any room? We said yeah and began the barbecue shuffle; Mike shuffled to the left, Dwight shuffled to the left, I shuffled to the left, Ron slipped in beside me, we sipped our beer. Now there were four of us staring at sausages, and Mike gave me the nod, my cue. I was second-in-command, and I had to take the raw sausages out of the plastic bag and lay them on the barbecue; not too close together, not too far apart, curl them into each other's bodies like lovers -fat ones, thin ones, herbed and continental. The jalapenos were tiny, they could easily slip down between the grill, falling into the molten hot-bead-netherworld below. Carefully I laid them sideways ACROSS the grill, clever thinking. Mike snapped his tongs with approval; there was no greater barbecue honour.
    Carlos came along, he said looking good, the irresistible lure of the barbecue had pulled him in too. We said yeah and did the shuffle, left, left, left, left, he slipped in beside Ron, we sipped our beer. Five men, lots of sausages. Dwight was the Fork-pronger; he had the fork that pronged the tough hides of the Bavarian bratwursts and he showed a lot of promise. Stabbing away eagerly, leaving perfect little vampire holes up and down the casing. Carlos was shaking his head, he said I reckon they cook better if you don't poke them.
    There was a long silence, you could have heard a jalapeno drop, and this newcomer was a rabble-rouser, bringing in his crazy ideas from outside. He didn't understand the hierarchy; first the Tong-master, then the Sausage-layer, then the Fork-pronger -and everyone below was just a watcher. Maybe eventually they'll move up the ladder, but for now -don't rock the Weber.

Dianne popped her head in; hmmm, smells good, she said. She was trying to jostle into the circle; we closed ranks, pulling our heads down and our shoulders in, mumbling yeah yeah yeah, but making no room for her. She was keen, going round to the far side of the barbecue, heading for the only available space . . . the gap in the circle where all the smoke and ashes blew. Nobody could survive the gap; Dianne was going to try. She stood there stubbornly, smoke blinding her eyes, ashes filling her nostrils, sausage fat spattering all over her arms and face. Until she couldn't take it anymore, she gave up, backed off. Ron waited till she was gone and sipped his beer. We sipped our beer, yeah.
    Mike handed me his tongs. I looked at him and he nodded. I knew what was happening, I'd waited a long time for this moment - the abdication. The tongs weighed heavy in my hands, firm in my grip - was I ready for the responsibility? Yes, I was. I held them up high and they glinted in the sun. Don't forget to turn the thin ones Mike said as he walked away from the barbecue, disappearing toward the house. Yeah I called back, I will, I will. I snapped them twice, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of my wrist, rolling them back onto their little bellies. I was a natural, I was the TONG-MASTER.

But only until Mike got back from the toilet.

I almost don't feel worthy to respond...by respond I must! Particularly since its now Memorial Day weekend and the brats, dogs and beer are ready for tomorrow. Awesome post!!!:drinker:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    portabello mushrooms that have been marinated in brown mustard, Olive oiL, hot sauce, and Balsamic. It's awesome. Put on a bun and add extra's.....and Corn on the cobb is awesome 2!!
  • kpaulsen
    kpaulsen Posts: 25
    Options
    Chicken, cherry tomato, bell pepper, onion and mushroom kabobs marinated all day, then served over steamed rice.

Marinade (not the healthiest, but everything just melts in your mouth)
    *change proportions to suit taste*

1/2 c. olive oil
    1/3 c. low sodium soy sauce (or teriyaki sauce if you have leftovers)
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    few dashes Worchestershire sauce
    1/3 c. red/white wine vinegar
    S&P
    parsely and/or dill flakes
    2-3 tbsp honey

Cut your chicken (or beef!) into two-bite chunks and marinate 3-5 hours (chicken) or 6-8 hours (beef). Throw the vegetables in the marinade for the last 1-1.5 hours before grilling.
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    :love: Bump

Awesome ideas ---thanks for sharing!