desk exercises

Options
Does anyone have suggestions for exercises to do while working? I spend the majority of my day sitting at a desk in a cubicle and it would be nice to scatter some exercises in throughout the day, even if they're pretty minor.

Replies

• Celina429
    Celina429 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey there! The wellness trainer at my agency (we have desk jobs too) told us to stand up and sit down as many times as you can. It's like doing squats at your desk. Try it! :)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you aren't going to get a great workout sitting at a desk while actually working.

If you want to add extra things into your day...take the stairs instead of elevators, take a walk during lunch, etc.

If you want to work out.....set aside time during the day and dedicate that to a real work out.
  • MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you aren't going to get a great workout sitting at a desk while actually working.

If you want to add extra things into your day...take the stairs instead of elevators, take a walk during lunch, etc.

If you want to work out.....set aside time during the day and dedicate that to a real work out.

Oh I agree completely, I work out both in the morning and in the evening but get so antsy just sitting at my desk all day so wanted to find something productive to do, even if very minimal just to get me moving a bit!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Oh I agree completely, I work out both in the morning and in the evening but get so antsy just sitting at my desk all day so wanted to find something productive to do, even if very minimal just to get me moving a bit!

They make resistance pedals that you can put under a desk. Kind of a stationary bicycle with resistance thing. I think they are kind of pricey though?
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do leg lifts while sitting at my desk with a ream of paper as a weight on my calves/feet.
  • MaddieCakes06
    Options
    I do leg lifts while sitting at my desk with a ream of paper as a weight on my calves/feet.

Oh that's a good idea! I think I saw that on an episode of The Office!
  • cheshire1865
    Options
    I have to get up and down to the printer for most of the day so any time I have to get up, I raise up without using my arms on the desk, and only use my legs/stomach to get me upright. You do feel the benefits,
  • tadjo
    tadjo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just bought this gyroscopic forearm trainer. Planning on leaving that at my desk.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Planks. 1-2 times a day I'll hold plank as long as I can. It's a fabulous core-strengthening exercise, and it's non-disruptive.

Tricep pushdowns on your chair can be another good upper body option, as can standard pushups.

Hope that helps.
  • MaddieCakes06
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    About once an hour I do 10 pushups and 10 squats, then take a walk around the office getting water, saying hi to people, etc. 5 minutes of activity. Planks instead of pushups would work too. If you do 50-100 pushups and squats per day, it will make a huge difference for core, legs and arms. Breaking it down in to a set of 5 or 10 makes it achievable, as well.