calories burned during exercise, eat back?

Options
Am I supposed to eat those back? To make the calories for my day?

Replies

• Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yes. MFP creates the calorie defecit to reach your goal already. I always eat back the calories.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I eat about half if not more of my exercise calories back each day. I started not eatting them back and was starving. There are alot of ideas on this out there, do what you think works for you. If you are hungry and have the calories to spare then eat.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Depends on how youhave mfp set up. If you have told it your weight loss goal each week, then yes. If you have set it to 0 lbs then no you shouldnt.

Incidentally, I feel the second option is the best. MFP is really quite good at tracking calories consumed, but its not that good at figuring out calories burned. In most cases your weight loss comes from exercise this way, which is about the healthiest way to go about it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Depends.

I personally don't simply because even though I use a HRM to calculate my calorie burn I can't be sure that it's actually accurate. I'd rather (try) and stick to the amount of calories that I have set to eat on MFP regardless.

With that said, I DO consider my "calorie burn" a buffer and IF I go WAY over (like on the weekends) I don't freak out about it because I did a workout and burned some calories.

If I were to eat back my exercise calories based on what the HRM says I burn some days I'd be eating over 2000 calories and there's no way I can do that.

For what it's worth I have MFP set at "sedentary" and I set my own calorie intake because the system set me at 1200 and I just can't eat that little.
  • bethsmth
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm set at 1200 also and that is hard to stick to unless I eat back what I gain through exercise.
  • Helenov
    Options
    I eat back most of mine, and I'm losing. If I don't eat back some or most of them, I'm too hungry the next day and I want to overeat. Eating them back right away makes me less hungry later.