Question for Protein Powder Users

Options
I know, I know, another protein powder post but I have a quick question...
I ordered some ON 100% Whey Gold Standard and I was reading about it on bodybuilding.com and under the nutrition label it says this:

Warnings: This product contains whey derived from dairy and lecithin (to improve mixability) derived from soybeans. For use as a dietary supplement only. Do not use for weight reduction.

If you want to see for yourself it's here (on the right hand side under the label and directions): http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Does this mean that you shouldn't use it if you're trying to lose weight or does it just mean that you shouldn't use ONLY this to lose weight? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just want to make sure that using this won't hinder my weight loss.... I do cardio 6 times per week and lift (stronglifts 5x5) 3 times per week so I ordered this to get in some extra protein every day.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It is a supplement. People use it to reach their protein goals. It is not meant to be a product that will reduce your weight.

You're fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They put that disclaimer there because some people seem to think protein powders are magical potions that do magical things (i.e. cause weight loss or muscle gain). As long as you're counting calories, you will control your weight.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's a supplement not a meal replacement, I'm sure it's for people that think it is a meal replacement.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    They put that disclaimer there because some people seem to think protein powders are magical potions that do magical things (i.e. cause weight loss or muscle gain). As long as you're counting calories, you will control your weight.

Exactly. Use it the way you intend to use it (for the extra protein) and you'll be fine! :smile:

P.S. 40 of the 70 pounds I lost were shed while supplementing with protein powder. Just an FYI.
  • HopeAnchorstheSoul
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't screw up my weight loss!
  • HopeAnchorstheSoul
    Options

Exactly. Use it the way you intend to use it (for the extra protein) and you'll be fine! :smile:

P.S. 40 of the 70 pounds I lost were shed while supplementing with protein powder. Just an FYI.

Wow congrats on your loss! I still have that far to go haha... but I'll get there eventually!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Wow congrats on your loss! I still have that far to go haha... but I'll get there eventually!

Thank you, and yes...you will get there! Slow and steady (and maintaining your LBM) wins the race. :happy: