Have you heard this...?

Options
I have heard several times it (weightloss) is 80% diet and 20% working out. Would you say you agree?

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would say 30% diet 20% working out and 50% overcoming mental/physical roadblocks.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure, but i'm interested to hear people's responses.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar at all with the %'s but to me they are equal, one without the other doesn't work well for me. Sometimes it's easiest to begin one for a bit then jump right into the other so as not to feel overwhelmed. I did that a few years back, changed some bad eating habits and then later joined a gym.

For me working out is huge, builds muscles that rev up my metabolism to continue burning cals far into the day, fueling my body properly makes that possible.

Dunno about that statement just know what's working for me now.
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Amen, clarissa!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    Diet is definately a big part of it for a while I wroked-outed an hour a day for 5-6days a week but didn't lose a pound. I got frusterated and quit. Now looking back on that, I was eating like garbage still.

This time around I started eating healthier about 2 weeks before I started excerising and I lost 10 lbs just from changing my eating habits.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No expert, but based purely on personal experience, I'd say it is at least 75% diet, 25% exercise (I'll ignore the psychological aspect because I think there is a larger range there based on the individual. I think diet/exercise is more universal). When I exercise, and just vaguely try to "eat better" my results are nil. When I really buckle down, track what I eat, and eat right, I can lose weight whether I exercise or not. Exercising will accelerate the weight loss, but I can't imagine how long I'd have to work out every day to get that same rate of weight loss while not strictly monitoring what I eat.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me... Working Out Helps me eat better... So does drinking more water... I just tend to be less hungry and more conscious of what I put in my mouth... I would say it's kind of a 50/50 thing... Also, alot of times, when people just change their eating habits, they will begin to move more without really noticing and vice versa... It's that way for me anyway...
  • ironsister
    ironsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a regular reader of Oxygen Magazine and have read a couple of the Eat Clean books and they all state 80% nutrition, 10%excercise and 10% genetics
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I can work out like crazy and eat what ever I want and have zero changes! When I focus on my diet alone I see the numbers falling on the scale but my body shape is still frumpy. Working out and getting into shape helps you become tone, defined and lean and it changes your shape from frumpy to fit! BUT, without the proper diet working out won't get you there alone. So I tend to agree that what you put into your mouth affects your entire health and eating badly can ruin your workouts while eating healthy can help you become more fit and in shape. They do go hand in hand but what you eat tends to weigh more heavily on whether or not you achieve your fitness goals.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. most of us would never lose weight if we didn't restrict our calories. that is why this site rocks:happy:
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    I had a personal trainer awhile back and she said they go hand in hand. you can loose weight with just diet and no exercise, but you are likely to end up flabby as you have the extra skin. Good ol' cardio is what it takes to loose that. Plus you want to look toned, not just thin. That's what I think, but I know its one that has a lot of different opinions on.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs from Sept 2009-early Jan 2010... (I've gained some back, but that's another issue) The majority of this weight loss was due to simply changing my diet to where I was eating primarily lean meats, whole grains and lots of fruits/veggies, and low-fat dairy. I did exercise some, but not as much as I "should" have been... (typically I was making it to the gym 1 to 3 times a week.) So for me, the higher emphasis on diet over exercise seems to work for me at this point in my weight loss journey. It probably varies by person, and probably depends on what your diet/lifestyle was like before, and how much you have to lose.
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The way I think about it is down to the basic calorie equation - more out/less in = weight loss. If you think about it, you will never be able to negatively impact the calorie equation by exercising. You can't ADD calories by exercising.

BUT you can easily negate an entire weeks worth of workouts with one piece of cheesecake!

So without being able to put concrete percentages on it, successful weight loss HAS to be heavily focused on the diet side. It's the only way you can truly get the most out of your work outs and decrease the overall calorie equation effectively.
  • emilymccowan
    Options
    I think that they both go hand in hand. If you're eating better and tracking what you eat and are actually able to see what you're putting in your mouth, that alone is going to shred the pounds. Along with actually being able to see what you're eating, that's going to be motivation to do better on your workouts, which in turn helps you lose even more weight than just dieting.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Diet definitely plays a bigger role in exercise! I don't know what the exact "percentage" would be- IMO it would really depend on what your goal was and where you are at now.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I'd say it's 90 (diet)-10 (exercise). For overall health and well-being, I think it's 50-50.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the percentages but from experience I would definitely say diet is more important in LOSING weight. However I think exercise is key to keeping it off. Let's face it once we have lost the weight if we want to keep it off we better stay active!
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    I've heard of those percentages quite often, but mainly from bodybuilders or people who are looking to build lean muscle mass.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I would disagree...I don't diet, although I watch portion control. I have had much success just working out & using Chalean Extreme. BUT I think it all depends on the person. Not everyone can just work out only.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is true. You can't out exercise poor eating habits. Eventually they will catch up with you.