Elliptical

Options
The longest I have ever lasted on there is like one minute...seriously. I don't know why I have such a hard time with the elliptical yet I can go forever on the treadmill. Tonight at the gym I was chatting with an older lady while we were on the treadmill and she said she had the same problem. I decided I was going to give it another shot so she decided she'd try it too. We both toughed it out for 10 minutes. I was so proud of myself that I called my husband on the way home lol. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 15 minutes. It burns so many calories and is such an awesome workout that I really want to eventually be able to go a full hour on it.

Replies

• Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That machine is often difficult at first, but once you get a good form and realize how you have to utilize your body, it's easier and easier to go long distances/times on it. I can't use a treadmill because of knee issues, but because of the little/no impact that an elliptical has, it's perfect for me.

Make sure you keep an eye on the incline and resistance settings, too, that can make or break your workout!
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That machine is often difficult at first, but once you get a good form and realize how you have to utilize your body, it's easier and easier to go long distances/times on it. I can't use a treadmill because of knee issues, but because of the little/no impact that an elliptical has, it's perfect for me.

Make sure you keep an eye on the incline and resistance settings, too, that can make or break your workout!
    Yeah one of the guys that was working out heard us talking and came over and adjusted our machines. I just don't know what he did :ohwell:
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Its low impact, so its great for obese or people with joint pains. However, the problem with this machine is first its an unnatural motion, and secondly once you start it moving, its very easy to keep moving. The calorie burns on these machines aren't very accurate either.

If you don't enjoy it I don't think your workout is lacking if you don't use it. If you want to make a goal of it I think that is great but if it doesn't have arm swingys, try to do it without holding on as you'll get better burn and work your core as you balance on it :P
  • missingmercury
    Options
    I always feel weird on it, like my body parts are all over the place. lol It is better on my bad knees though.
  • tinassofit
    Options
    Great machine.. Works arms, legs, hips, back and add the waist in too!!! my fav... Can be on it forever.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hate it because it burns so few calories for me compared to running. Love it because it gives me the cardio workout and saves my knees when they are killing me!
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love it to switch up my cardio but I hate it because I feel like I work so dang hard and then I see the calories burned and swear it should be more!
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great machine.. Works arms, legs, hips, back and add the waist in too!!! my fav... Can be on it forever.
    See, I had no idea it worked all of this. I will definitely keep it up then because even at 130 lbs. I hated the width in my midriff area! The hips need to shrink too. My arms aren't bad but toning them up is never a bad thing!