Vegan looking to tone up not bulk up

Options
I'm not trying to lose much more in the line of weight, maybe 5 lbs tops, but I'm really looking to tone and define. I go to the gym (fully equipped) about 3 - 4 times a week, some times more. I mainly do the elliptical, bike, treadmill and calisthenics.

I don't want to get bulky, I just want to tighten up, especially around my thighs/buns/lower abs.

Is there anything I can do to speed the process along/get better results?

I take green tea extract in the morning along with a raw vegan meal replacer. After gym time I use hemp protein.

Any particular exercises or *raw* health snacks?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

absolutely
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Lots of women are having good results with
    New Rules of Lifting 4 Women.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift weights. Heavy ones.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

absolutely

this.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

Yes
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

What he said.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Cut: losing weight while trying to make as much of it from fat as possible to make muscles more visible

Bulk: gaining weight while trying to make as much of it from muscle as possible to increase overall mass

Tone: [does not exist]

So what do you want? Lifting and eating a deficit will cause a very slight increase in muscle mass (maybe a pound) but mainly fat loss and muscle retention.
  • tinactin
    Options
    Do squats. Eat oats.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Lots of women are having good results with
    New Rules of Lifting 4 Women.

^^ YES. lift heavy objects, set down, repeat! you will not bulk, you will tone. there's tons of threads on that too, check out my pics! low rep, heavy lifting! :bigsmile:
  • rawfitbitch
    Options
    Cut: losing weight while trying to make as much of it from fat as possible to make muscles more visible

Bulk: gaining weight while trying to make as much of it from muscle as possible to increase overall mass

So what do you want? Lifting and eating a deficit will cause a very slight increase in muscle mass (maybe a pound) but mainly fat loss and muscle retention.

I want less of the flabby layer over my muscles and more muscle definition.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

To remove the flabby layer you just need to lose body fat. This will also make the muscles more defined. If you diet without lifting you will lose muscle. If you diet while lifting you can slightly gain/or maintain your current muscle mass.
  • tinactin
    Options

Do squats. Eat few enough oats to be at a caloric deficit. Also eat lots of protein.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Go check out all the pic threads of the non-bulky heavy lifting women that are here.

Go lift some heavy weights. You won't bulk up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You seem fairly lean if that picture is current. It may be a good idea to continue eating at a very slight deficit below actual TDEE to procure "newbie" gains in lean body mass while slowly reducing body fat percentage as you introduce strength training. After doing this for about two months, you can then go back up to maintenance for a few weeks before doing a 2 to 3 month short bulk to specifically increase lean body mass. If you do these short cycles of bulks-to-cuts, you can tweak your body composition to a favorable spot.

I suggest reading articles such as these by Lyle McDonald:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

What he said.

What he said about what he said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You seem fairly lean if that picture is current. It may be a good idea to continue eating at a very slight deficit below actual TDEE to procure "newbie" gains in lean body mass while slowly reducing body fat percentage as you introduce strength training. After doing this for about two months, you can then go back up to maintenance for a few weeks before doing a 2 to 3 month short bulk to specifically increase lean body mass. If you do these short cycles of bulks-to-cuts, you can tweak your body composition to a favorable spot.

I suggest reading articles such as these by Lyle McDonald:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

^^this is a good approach.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    here's a lightweight non-bulky electric tuner
    mus265.jpg
  • rawfitbitch
    Options
    here's a lightweight non-bulky electric tuner
    mus265.jpg
    That actually made me laugh a bit. Thanks.