New with a few questions

Options
So yea, new guy. I've been trying to lose weight for years and nothing has changed. I don't think its the exercise, I've got that down. Nutrition on the other hand confuses me. I read that you can lose a good 10lbs in a month from cutting out soda completely but I only drink once a week or two weeks. Rarely eat candy and fast food is once a week. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm seriously tired of the lack of energy, the constant foot, neck and back pain and especially the folds of fat hanging off the backs of my arms. I'm so embarrassed of it that I don't show my arms in public except at the gym. I always have a hoodie or some small covering to keep it hidden

Workout split:
Mon-Chest, Triceps, Abs, Cardio
Tues-Cardio
Wed-Back, Biceps, Shoulders, Abs, Cardio
Thurs-Cardio
Fri-Legs, Abs,
Sat-Cardio
Sun-REST

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary for all to see, we have some fantastic people on here that could take a look and give you some tips to help you out. :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Did you have questions?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise so you'll need to get your diet sorted. The best thing to do is just to start tracking your calorie intake on her for a week and figure out how many calories you're actually eating. If you're not losing (or gaining weight) it means you're consuming more calories than you are burning. After that start by plugging in your data to MFP at a 1/2 to 1lb per week weight loss and cut your calories to the suggested amount.

Once you've got these basics down you can make tweaks to suit you. Learing about portion sizes will probably help you as you can put on weight from eating too much of any food (even if it's healthy). If you can measure and weigh what you eat it will help you to log your intake accurately
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda would generally only make you lose 10lbs in a month if you were drinking quite a bit of soda. Your problem lies elsewhere in your diet. Tracking for a week would most likely be eye-opening and show you where you can make cuts that will affect you.
  • ohhiitsme
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating, but maybe it's just you are eating more than you need? If you over-eat, the extra calories remain when they aren't burned off and that could be why you aren't losing weight. Also depends on how much you are exercising, too.
  • Deathofacook
    Options
    I'd look into food allergies dude! You might be self-sabotaging and not even realizing it. Gluten, lactose, soy, corn....they can all play huge part in hormone disruption which can make losing weight a challenge. Get rid of that fast food, get some greens, and then more greens. Good Luck!
  • mikeyd1219
    Options
    How you eat depends on your goals. There's some very good web sites out there that give excellent info on diet and exercise. Also if your trying to build muscle while loosing weight its a slow process you cant get frustrated. Trust me I know .
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise so you'll need to get your diet sorted. The best thing to do is just to start tracking your calorie intake on her for a week and figure out how many calories you're actually eating. If you're not losing (or gaining weight) it means you're consuming more calories than you are burning. After that start by plugging in your data to MFP at a 1/2 to 1lb per week weight loss and cut your calories to the suggested amount.

Once you've got these basics down you can make tweaks to suit you. Learing about portion sizes will probably help you as you can put on weight from eating too much of any food (even if it's healthy). If you can measure and weigh what you eat it will help you to log your intake accurately

Agreed. Track your normal diet so you get a baseline for what you've been eating. Then, set your goals (don't get all crazy and drastic) and track everything. Portion sizes can be deceiving, so weigh and measure everything. Don't make too many changes too quickly or try to lose a lot of weight too quickly. Eat what you like but do it within your calories. Later, start making healthier substitutions little by little. Don't give up! :drinker: