IS IT OKAY TO HAVE A PROTIEN SHAKE AN HOUR BEFORE BED

Options
I HAVE SUPPER AROUND 5 THEN I HAVE 2 CLASSES OF KICKBOXING IN THE EVENING GET HOME JUST AFTER 9 PM AND IM HUNGRY AND DRAINED.. IS IT OKAY THE SHAKE I MAKE IS AROUND 140- 200 CALORIES DEPENDING ON WHAT FLAVORS I WANT. I PUT IN 1 CUP OF UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK 1/2 4 BERRY MIX 1/2 BANANA 2 EGG WHITE SOME TIMES 1005 PREMIUM WHEY PROTIEN MIX 140 CALS PER SCOOP. BUT IS IT BAD TO BE DRINKING THIS THAT LATE? IVE HEARD ON BIGGEST LOSER THAT THEY SHOULD EAT AFTER BIG WORKOUTS......

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) No it is not bad provided you're not going over your daily caloric limits.
    2) Stop getting information from biggest loser and use it for entertainment or motivation only.
    3) I think your caps lock key might be stuck. If it isn't, please check to see if your pinkie finger fell asleep on the shift key.

EDIT: Also here's a flower just so that you don't think 2 or 3 was mean or bullying. I am just trying to help.

:flowerforyou:
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is usually when I drink mine due to the fact that I have to workout pretty late in the evenings.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! :drinker:
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I drink one late at night and so far, it's been perfectly fine.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is to nutritional science what Dr. Oz is to the supplement world. A good laugh that gets taken way too seriously by way too many people.

As SideSteel said, so long as it's within your caloric limit, it's not going to hinder you in any way...unless of course eating late screws with your sleep, but that wouldn't be specific to the protein shake.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    2) Stop getting information from biggest loser and use it for entertainment or motivation only.
    3) I think your caps lock key might be stuck. If it isn't, please check to see if your pinkie finger fell asleep on the shift key.

EDIT: Also here's a flower just so that you don't think 2 or 3 was mean or bullying. I am just trying to help.

^This. And this man knows what he's talking about.. :)
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    DEFINITLY DRINK IT!! You need to not only listen to your body when it's hungry, but remember you just worked out and your body needs fuel to grow towards your goals. Most of all you're drinking protein! Perfect for bed when your body is at rest to build muscle and keep you full!

Feel free to message me anytime w/questions-we are all here to help one another.

Keep up the hard work!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options

I completely agree!!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If it fits within your calorie goal, then no. But, supposedly protein can interrupt your sleep because your body is working harder to break it down. If you have insomnia you may want to take that into consideration. I have insomnia and I haven't noticed a significant difference when I have protein before bed, but everyone is different.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I saw this somewhere before, and I'm totally stealing it:

'Calories don't know what time it is."
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No protein after 6:00, period. The only thing you should consume after 6:00 is whiskey. Otherwise, you'll get hyooge.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    its 11:33pm & i'm finishing up my post-workout protein shake & heading to bed in like 15 mins :)
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    About a teaspoon is OK when taken orally.
  • Offical
    Options
    I always have one just before bed
  • Daynasanderson
    Daynasanderson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO EVEN THE SMART *kitten* ONES LOL :) AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE JUST STARTING AND WAY TO GO TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE LOST A LITTLE AND ALOT SO FAR :)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. If you are trying to build muscle, you need the extra calories anyway. :wink:
  • starfish1783
    Options

LOL!!! Too funny. But very true - you need the protein to help your muscles refuel and rebuild. I actually just learned that the other day and have started to do it myself. :smile:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your daily calorie goal go for it. In my opinion, its all about calories in/calories burned. No matter what time of the day you eat it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^This. And this man knows what he's talking about.. :)

^Agreed.

EAT WHEN YOU WANT TO - MEAL TIMING IS ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE ONLY!!

Oh shoot! My caps lock got stuck too!! :laugh:

(all in good fun - not making fun of the OP)