nutrisystem

Options
just started nutrisystem today. anyone else on it? or have had any success on it?

Replies

• SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I was on it .. maybe like a month .. it worked pretty well for me. It gets boring after a awhile eating the same food. I know they give you plenty of variety ..but still .. and most of the stuff is really just bland and gross. Like the eggs ..where you pour the water in and put in the microwave to cook .. it just taste like rubber. If you can make it work for you ..then that is great! I would do it again ..if I could afford it.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a 2-3weeks about 4 years ago and then I ran out of food I could stand and didn't want to pay an insane amount of money for more. I lost 11 or 12 pounds in those 3 weeks I think but I exercised a LOT. After that I gained about 40 pounds.

I would NEVER recommend it.
    Suffice it to say that teaching yourself how to eat healthy with real food is totally the way to go if you want your weight loss and healthy lifestyle to be sustainable long term.

Edit: I also lost about 10 pounds the first 3 weeks with MFP. Eating real food and teaching myself proper portion size, self control, and that everything doesn't always have to be about food. I LOVE food and I love to cook. This has worked out so much better for me and I'm 100% sure I can do this for the rest of my life now.
  • ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i always wanted to but i can't afford it....let me know how it works for you!
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I was on it 4 years ago, I lost 60 lbs in half a year. I had learned to eat correctly while watching portion sizes, so after a few months I did not eat the food anymore and instead made my own meals according to their carb/protein ratios (similar to Zone). It does teach you the value of a portion for sure! Unfortunately, I gained the weight back over time, because I got too comfortable with myself and neglecting all the things I had learned. Well that was a lesson for sure! I am actually on it again now... lost 7 lbs in a week and a half. It is expensive but for the short term, to retrain your habits I believe in it. I could not eat it for longer than a few months, even though there are some items that are quite good. If you add sauteed veggies and spices you can help the foods not be so bland.
    Good luck to you! Add me for support if you like! :)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it because I want to eat REAL food, not a chemical concoction.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I completely agree!!! It's just more processed junk, in my opinion. There is a lot of cheaper "real" foods out there that can give better results. Again...this is just my opinion. :blushing:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and lost 30 pounds in 3 months. Once you figure out what food you like, it works! I was pretty pickey eater so my food choices were slim. I did gain some of the weight back over a year, that is what brought me here! Now I have learned to eat the right foods and make healthy choices on my own, and I do contribute NS for getting me started! It tought me portion control and got me started on veggies and getting off sugary foods and sodas. Once you lose the weight, the problem is maintaining it and learning to make healthy choices outside NS.
    It also got me started on working out, now I do it everday!
    Good Luck to you!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

even though the food is prepackaged it is not bad, and you add tons of vegetables and fruit with it, so you really are getting good food. It is really a platform to teach people healthy eating. It is not a lifestyle change just a road to get you there.
  • jienelle
    jienelle Posts: 29
    Options
    I ordered a one-month supply of it...and it's been 6 months and I'm still finishing it up. The first two weeks I followed it religiously - with great results. If you are strickly on it you will lose a lot of weight.

But to be honest, the food is not that great. Me, personally, I don't have a problem with portion size - I just cook more flavorful, ethnic, yet more fatty foods. So now I use nutrisystem foods about once a day to replace a meal that I would have usually cooked because my foods are usually high cal, high fat. It has helped me keep under my calorie goal. They also have a ton of fiber and protein. I am usually lacking in protein so this helps me a lot.

I think Nutrisystem serves it purpose for those that need guidance and will jump start a work out plan. However, I don't think you need to be on it religiously for a long period of time. You need to learn how to eat similar and keep total calories down while getting in a good balance of nutients, vitamins, etc.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I've been on it a few times, and each time i lost about 7-10 lbs a month - the same i do just watching portion sizes. I never really gained any more back then i do eating regular food while watching calories. I like to order it during the couple of times a year when i'm pulling 60+ hour work weeks. It''s quick and easy, healthy food. And the sodium levels are WAY lower then your standard frozen meals. I don't mind the food for short intervals - but i find that i get sick of it for longer then a month. plus i miss cooking real meat!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I tried it also didn't like the food I went through about 3/4 of it. Threw it way and I had another months worth and ended up throwing that away so I wasted about 200 dollars. And I'm one who was taught never to waste food. Hence being over weight to not waste food, or money. Hope it works for you Good luck
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm Sorry!!! I just re-read my post and realized it sounded kind of rude. I certainly did not mean to sound negative, or discredit your choices!!

I sincerely hope that it works for you and that you get the most out of it!

Good luck on your journey...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Eat real food! This is a waste of money!
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    thanks for the replies! i am a binge eater so i figured if i ordered this, i can tel myself that i can ONLY eat the nutrisystem food and fruits and veggies. thought this would help me quit bingeing...we will see though. i am curious to see what happens
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did NS for a couple of months a few years ago; I lost a few pounds and found most of what I ordered to be, if not just edible, pretty good. But from a digestive standpoint? Holy carpoli... There's a reason people on the NS boards talk about the "Nutritoots." It got to be unbearable, so I quit.

Last year I tried Jenny Craig, and thought the food was far better. I'd still be on it if they hadn't kicked me out. LOL seriously, I went in to weigh one day and they fired me from the program. I had issues with the amount of soy in their food, and my consultant talked to their nutritionist...jist of it is that they didn't want to create a true food allergy in me, so they let me go, so to speak.

The Spouse Thingy still does JC and still likes it, even after 10 months. He also did NS and liked it, but prefers the JC food. He also prefers the accountability you get with JC, and having someone who can help him figure out where he's tripping up sometimes.

With either one, you learn better portion control, and if all you get out of it is being able to eat less and learning to be satisfied with that amount of food, it's worth it for a month or two, imnsho.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

even though the food is prepackaged it is not bad, and you add tons of vegetables and fruit with it, so you really are getting good food. It is really a platform to teach people healthy eating. It is not a lifestyle change just a road to get you there.

No one can tell me otherwise...............If you are eating frozen or freeze-dried food, you are eating a chemical concoction.

I just read this online........... Yep, that sounds like real food to me, lots of artiicial ingredients, synthetic nutrients, preservatives and trans fats............. Yummo, NOT!!
    the NutriSystem plan cuts calories mostly by reducing fat—but doesn't add much volume to make up for it. I guess that's what the 64 ounces of water are for. The ingredient lists are long (usually a bad sign) and feature lots of artificial ingredients, synthetic nutrients, preservatives, and hydrogenated (trans) fats.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy/news/dietdelivery_nutrisystem#ixzz0oTbxfgtz

Real food is FRESH meats and fish that you cook yourself, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, raw nuts, raw dairy..............<<<<Is real food.
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    Please let me know if it helps you in terms of binge eating, I have the same problem.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Please let me know if it helps you in terms of binge eating, I have the same problem.

This book helped tremendously with binge eating..............

http://www.moodcure.com/
  • Liberty68
    Liberty68 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I just stared Nutrisystem on 5/11 and so far I like it. I have lost 9 lbs in 9 days. not bad right.
    So far I have no complaints.
  • elizabeth1222
    Options
    My mother was on it for three months she lost only 10 pounds
    she didn't like the food
    she switch to Mediweightloss Clinic she's been on it for 4 months
    she has lost 40 pounds she feel great and looks great
    it's doctor supervised and they teach how to eat healthy
    and exercise
    they have a fabulous menu recipes
    I totally recommended
    http://www.mediweightlossclinics.com