Question regarding building muscle/reducing body fat

Options
From what I understand on here, it takes a calorie surplus to build muscle. I have a medical background and have never heard that a calorie surplus would be needed for hypertrophy. Isn't hypertrophy going to occur either way? I do know that burn victims need a calorie surplus and copious amounts of protein to heal.

I'm a 32 year old woman looking to lose around 25 pounds. My current BF% is 34. I am seeing changes in my muscle definition since starting the Stronglifts 5x5 program about 5 weeks ago. My body fat has also gone down by about a percentage. Im eating about 1800 calories. I don't believe I'm in a calorie surplus so what are the changes I'm seeing in my muscles? I feel extremely sore after about a day and a half of lifting.

Not trying to be snarky but genuinely curious and would like to know.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, you can gain strength in a deficit. You will also be able to maintain existing lean mass by eating plenty of protein and lifting weights. You can also see some initial gains - termed "newbie gains" when you start lifting - but mostly you're probably seeing your muscles "pumped up" i.e. retaining water as they heal. Plus, if you're reducing body fat you'll be able to see them better.

You're doing the right stuff for losing fat while maintaining lean mass. That's what you want.
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Thanks that helped some. I definitely have the fat. I'm not really interested in building muscle but more interested in decreasing my body fat while retaining what muscle I do have. I have been down the road of low calorie diets and have always ended up being at a low weight but still looking chubby.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    As I understand it, you can gain strength in a deficit. You will also be able to maintain existing lean mass by eating plenty of protein and lifting weights. You can also see some initial gains - termed "newbie gains" when you start lifting - but mostly you're probably seeing your muscles "pumped up" i.e. retaining water as they heal. Plus, if you're reducing body fat you'll be able to see them better.

You're doing the right stuff for losing fat while maintaining lean mass. That's what you want.

I'm definitely seeing very positive changes. I was just thoroughly confused. I tried searching the web but ended up on body building sites throwing around a bunch of bro science.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks that helped some. I definitely have the fat. I'm not really interested in building muscle but more interested in decreasing my body fat while retaining what muscle I do have. I have been down the road of low calorie diets and have always ended up being at a low weight but still looking chubby.

Think of it this way:

Suppose you gain a little bit of muscle initially (quite possible given your stats and you are new to training).
    You then maintain that LBM and just lose primarily fat as you diet down.

The end result is what you want.

People tend to quibble (I don't direct this at you at all) about whether or not they are actually making gains in skeletal muscle while eating at a deficit and lifting. Whether they actually gain muscle or just retain muscle and lose fat, the end result is still a more muscular body.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    Thanks for the info. There is so much out there that it is contradictory and I couldn't find any medical literature to answer my question. Looks like I'm headed down the right road.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Think of it this way:

Suppose you gain a little bit of muscle initially (quite possible given your stats and you are new to training).
    You then maintain that LBM and just lose primarily fat as you diet down.

The end result is what you want.

People tend to quibble (I don't direct this at you at all) about whether or not they are actually making gains in skeletal muscle while eating at a deficit and lifting. Whether they actually gain muscle or just retain muscle and lose fat, the end result is still a more muscular body.

Nicely worded.
  • kcallas88
    Options
    bump