Post op gallbladder problems, anyone?

Options
I had gallbladder surgery last July, and I have been unable to eat much of
anything except most meats, (allergic to fish and soy) breads and potatoes.
Salads, fresh vegetables, beans and legumes are foods I love and simply
cannot tolerate anymore.
Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for low fat meat dishes? I hope
this improves in time but for now I'm out of ideas, and I really need to get
those calories in. I have 44 pounds to go to reach my goal of 140.
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a nutritionist/dietician and explaining your situation, even a naturopath would work
  • BoyishGirl
    BoyishGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in your situation big time. I had my gallbladder taken out about two years ago. There are a lot of low fat diets out there and they all say to avoid pastas and breads. Some ever going as far as telling you to stay away from all citrus fruits and even tomatoes.

The only advice on diets would be to look up all the low fat diets out there on the internet and see what's fair on your digestive system.

Another thing I could add which is something I have personally started using, is Multi-Enzymes. It's something that helps with digestion. The ones I take are 'Spring Valley: Probiotic, Multi-Enzymes', a few things about these. They help in digestion to break down the food you eat, which is basically what the bile of the gallbladder used to do. One thing about these vitamins they actually have 'Ox Bile' in them.

Now 'Ox Bile' is a supplement you can buy on it's own that helps you regulate your digestive system. The only problem is that the supplement is almost always in very high doses and most brands aren't FDA certified. So if your up for trying just the 'Ox Bile' got for it.

As for the Enzymes, the brand I have stated is fairly simple to find. It's at most if not all walmarts in the united states, it's FDA certified and contains 'Ox Bile'

Before using you should research the product and make sure it won't effect you in any way. I do know that it's not made with soy and a bunch of other things. Though there is a fish smell to them I was told it came from just the way the vitamins were formed. Seeing they had no coating. In any case it's a shot to try, food enzymes should help fairly well.

In any case there's what I have to offer and good luck! :)
  • nezsorou
    Options
    Had my gallbladder removed when I was 19. I blame it on mono, I think mono threw my whole system out of whack - because I had very TINY stones, apparently ... but my liver had formed adhesions to my gallbladder. ):

My system was SO out of whack. I'd bloat up horribly after every meal. Digestive enzymes and probiotics are what helped me out in the beginning. I used to take digestive enzymes before EVERY meal. Now I just take chewable papaya enzymes after certain meals (mostly when I eat red meat, which is ... rarely).
    For a time I also drank aloe vera juice daily, and I think it helped too.