Am I consuming the right amount of calories?

Options
Stats:

Height: 5'6
Starting Weight: (Starting Jan 12th) - 270
Current Weight: 258 (-12 pounds)
Goal Weight: 160-170

Calorie intake between 1200-1800
I try and put in at least 60 minutes of exercise a day burning around 700 calories a day.

I consumed about 1300 calories today but burned off around 900 (my estimates anyway and MFP estimates). So in total subtracting exercise from calories I haven't consumed 400 calories after burning them off. Is that okay? I was told that I'm supposed to consume at least half of what my body burned off. But I've eaten 5-6 healthy meals a day and after dinner I'm full and can't eat anymore (I also don't want to force myself to eat)...if what I've been told true? Should I be consuming more calories??

Today's:
Goal: 1860
Food: 1298
Exercise: -975
Net: = 323

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    you don't want to net below 1200. You should be eating back all of your exercise calories.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how accurate you are at weighing/measuring food and exercise expenditure. Netting 300 to 400 calories consistently would likely lead to disruption in your menstrual cycle, though. With that said, I would recommend you up your intake so that you are netting at least 1200 calories if not closer to your RMR. Lastly, you do not need huge exercise calorie burns to reduce fat mass at a significant and acceptable rate.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    No, you're not consuming enough net calories.
    For your weight and level of exercise (which I congratulate you on) you should be netting at least 1,500 calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Look at that number on the bottom of your diary - the one that is next to the work 'remaining'' - is that number green and is is more than about 50? If yes, no you are not consuming the right amount of calories, you should be consuming more.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ugh it says 1500 calories remaining....I don't know what else I can eat...I need to get some protein shakes...though I don't want to be sick sick
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ugh it says 1500 calories remaining....I don't know what else I can eat...I need to get some protein shakes...though I don't want to be sick sick

Just buy the powder and make your own. My protein shakes give me apprx. 500+ calories using fat free milk, 2% Greek yogurt(extra protein) and the Greek yogurt makes it thicker, and strawberries. (Use any fruit you like) it makes a great after workout snack.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Peanut butter
    Ice-cream
    Milk
    Nuts and seeds
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: is this a one off or does it happen often?
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Yikes. Well for right now you should try to eat back at least half of those calories. I personally don't drink protein shakes because they are nasty, in my opinion. What you should do is take a more natural route and make yourself a shake consisting of one to two cups (provides around 24-50 grams of protein) of plain non fat (or low fat) greek yogurt with a fruit (such as a banana) and eat some nuts on the side.
  • Minerva624
    Options
    And don't eat ice cream! It's full of sugar and unhealthy fats and is hardly nutritional.
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Options
    Yikes. Well for right now you should try to eat back at least half of those calories. I personally don't drink protein shakes because they are nasty, in my opinion. What you should do is take a more natural route and make yourself a shake consisting of one to two cups (provides around 24-50 grams of protein) of plain non fat (or low fat) greek yogurt with a fruit (such as a banana) and eat some nuts on the side.

That's why I make my own. It's vanilla flavored, though you honestly can't taste it over the strawberries and yogurt.
  • Minerva624
    Options

That's why I make my own. It's vanilla flavored, though you honestly can't taste it over the strawberries and yogurt.

Really? I guess the protein shakes my dad used to buy turned me off to them all together. I do need more protein though so maybe I'll give yours a try. :)
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Options

Really? I guess the protein shakes my dad used to buy turned me off to them all together. I do need more protein though so maybe I'll give yours a try. :)

I thinks it always better to make your own. That way you can control the variables such as sugar or sodium or calories, etc and flavor lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    And don't eat ice cream! It's full of sugar and unhealthy fats and is hardly nutritional.

Taken in the context of a balanced diet there is absolutely nothing wrong with ice cream.

Also, what unhealthy fats is it full of?
  • Minerva624
    Options

Taken in the context of a balanced diet there is absolutely nothing wrong with ice cream.

You're right but I would much rather eat something healthier.
    And I don't know. I'm just stupid tonight.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    Options
    See that's my problem. I don't have many appliances just yet. My boyfriend and I live on a boat, and we are rebuilding it. He's re-wiring the entire boat right now, so we are limited on power. And since things aren't finished we don't have places to store. So making protein shakes usually require a blender of some-sort which I don't have. Most of my meals are veggies that I can steam in the microwave, a 'carb' and my main dish is an lean cuisine, amys, or healthy choice entree only. I tried a slim fast, (we are at his folks house right now, they had one in their cupboard, and it tasted like dirt. I try not to consume any sweets unless its my splurge night. Or if I made a healthy dessert or a fiber bar.

And this happens a lot when I've looked back on my diary. I always thought I look at the calories not the 'net' worth. I think I need to take a nutrition class next semester at my school. I feel so confused....is sad. I should know all this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You're right but I would much rather eat something healthier.
    And I don't know. I'm just stupid tonight.

No worries - if you have not had a balanced diet 'so far' in the day, its not the 'best choice' but it is a pretty good option if you need to get calories without an appetite. It's also a good option if you have eaten a bunch of nutrient dense food already.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    See that's my problem. I don't have many appliances just yet. My boyfriend and I live on a boat, and we are rebuilding it. He's re-wiring the entire boat right now, so we are limited on power. And since things aren't finished we don't have places to store. So making protein shakes usually require a blender of some-sort which I don't have. Most of my meals are veggies that I can steam in the microwave, a 'carb' and my main dish is an lean cuisine, amys, or healthy choice entree only. I tried a slim fast, (we are at his folks house right now, they had one in their cupboard, and it tasted like dirt. I try not to consume any sweets unless its my splurge night. Or if I made a healthy dessert or a fiber bar.

And this happens a lot when I've looked back on my diary. I always thought I look at the calories not the 'net' worth. I think I need to take a nutrition class next semester at my school. I feel so confused....is sad. I should know all this.

Protein can be mixed in a blender bottle (its a plastic shaker cup) with milk or water (trust me, milk is better). Or you can sprinkle it on greek yogurt.

One question though - why are you focusing on protein - just eat food.

Read this, it may help re the calorie targets:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow, how are you surviving? If I only net 300 cals, I feel tired and grumpy. Heck, netting 1200 cals usually leaves me tired and grumpy. Lol! And the headaches! Don't get me started on those!

Try to eat back more calories, hun. Eat high calorie things, but that are good for you, like nuts and seeds, avocados, oily fish etc.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    Options
    I was thinking protein shakes not for the protein but for the quick calorie intake! Lol blender bottles...hmmm

I don't know. I've been on it for a month and I feel fine. I'm awake. I have enough energy to workout. I have class in the morning 4 days a week and work evenings 5 days a week. I'm a server so ontop of my hour exercises I also run around for a good amount of time. I guess I'll cut down on my exercises so I don't need as much calories after.

Thanks everyone for letting me know and finally understand the net on calories!!