why is it asking me to recalculate goals

Options
I have lost 10lb in 9 days on MFP - when I entered my weight it has asked me to recalculate my goals. why? what that about? I am happy to stick with the calories I have been set!

Replies

• Msdirection
    Msdirection Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind I'm no expert, but I would expect it is asking you to recalculate your goals because you're losing waaay too fast. Despite what TV shows like The Biggest Loser would have you believe, a healthy rate of weight loss is probably more in the region of 1-2lb per week, not 10lb. What are you netting each day in calories? Perhaps someone can link to the In Place of a Roadmap thread? I don't know the link but it sounds like it might be useful here :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Leaving the speed of the loss aside, it'll ask you to recalculate every time you lose 10 pounds.

As you lose weight your body needs fewer calories, so that's the reason.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When mine says that it'll tell me that I've lost ten pounds or more since I've calculated my goals. As a result, MFP is just suggesting that I possibly lower my calories/increase my exercise to account for the fact that it'll be harder to lose at the same rate than it was ten pounds ago. Since you just started, you're fine. Don't worry about it if it's working!
  • strawberrylola
    strawberrylola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1200 a day - haven't done any exercise in the 10 days - when I have started diets before I always lose a lot in the first week then I am sure it will slow down!
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    First of all, you NEED to be eating more than 1,200 calories a day. That's probably why you're losing so fast. It may seem awesome now, but eventually it will work against you and your weight loss and metabolism will slow down. I'd highly recommend searching the forums on here "how to calculate your BMR and TDEE" It will tell you based on your age/weight what you actually SHOULD BE eating for calories a day. You will be shocked at the difference.