Started working out...stopped losing weight!!

Options
I've been on MFP consistantly now for about 5 weeks. To start with the weight just dropped off with diet alone, but it started to slow down so i joined the gym. I've been doing 30-60 minutes of cardio (stairs, elliptical, cycling, running, etc) at least every other day for the last 2 weeks and I haven't lost another pound! In fact, I've gained back almost 1lb.

Any suggestions to reboot my weight loss?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Are you eating your exercise calories back? Is your sodium high? There's lot of reasons why you'll gain weight that have nothing to do with actual weight. It could be water retention due to sodium or due to sore muscles trying to repair themselves. Or you could be under-eating.
  • AliTomy
    AliTomy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 1200-1400calories a day. I eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories. I'm drinking a TON of water. I eat mostly lower sodium home prepared foods...although I'll occasionally grab something at Panera or eat out my sodium intake shouldn't be high enough to retain that much.

On a happier note I do feel as though I look a bit thinner...so maybe I'm building muscle and losing fat?
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    Make sure you measure yourself and don't just go on the scale! You'll probably find that you've lost some inches since starting to exercise, even if you haven't lost any weight. And definitely make sure you're eating enough, MFP often underestimates your calories.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out, and measure yourself. When I started working out last month it took me 2&1/2 weeks before I lost my first pound doing Insanity. After the 3rd or 4th week I started dropping 1lb/ week the past few weeks.
  • AmandaW01
    Options
    This is completely normal - it can take several weeks for the weight to begin to drop, but your body composition will be changing - that's the important bit. Your muscles retain water when you work out - that will alter the false figure on the scales. Just keep going, eat enough (you're eating very low for the amount of workouts you're doing) and relax - it will come off, but not instantly as you'd (quite rightly) expect.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I've not lost a pound since November. Your body is restructuring. I"ll bet if you thought about it (my mother called these quiet moments) you can feel the difference because you are adding weight--muscle weight. Those scales will show a decrease again--just be patient and wait! I'm also betting you feel great, more energy and less reaching for foods you are staying away from!

Great Job! Keep it up!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising, (or when you increase the intensity of your exercise), your muscles hold onto water as they repair themselves. This water weight will show up on the scale and mask any fat loss that you may be having. Just keep doing what you're doing, and it should start to drop again.