Vegetarian Keto?

Options
Hey there Cats and Kittens,

So I have been on here for a few weeks, but really only got to cracking about a week ago. I am down two pounds, but yesterday I went to the doctor today and was told that the best thing for me to do was go on a low carb diet. (Like it's 2001 all over again.) I'll spare ya'll the details, but I have PCOS and historically the only thing that works is low carb diets, apparently.

Anyway, I have been doing some research specifically about Keto, and I am intrigued. But here is the rub, I really don't like eating meat. I gave it up a while ago and I really don't want to start it up again. I would be okay with eating some dairy and eggs, but I draw the line there.

My question is, can I go keto and still keep my diet meat free? Is it an impossible feat? Anyone out there have success at veggie keto?

At this point I feel like Sisyphus, and just want to blow this damn boulder up.

TL;DR Vegetarian Keto, can it be done?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I didn't like it. But I'm sure that was just me and all the stuff that's wrong with me ... It can definitely be done and doesn't even taste bad. Here in the UK I bought a cook book by rose Elliott for this. It's really good but you can also find tons of recipes online. You just have to be extra cautious about your protein intake... Good luck
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Head over to http://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo for some support- it can be done but it does seem to take more effort than regular Keto.

Best of luck :)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Can i just say that u don't really need to go off carbs. I have PCOS and was diagnosed last year since then I have lost almost 20 lbs maintaining a regular diet and exercising. i am only 2 pounds away from being in the healthy weight range. (i don't know the amount u need to loose). I did the research too and thought about the low cab and stuff. i am not a rigrous dieter or exercising person. think if u r ready to commit to it all your life coz thats how it will have to be.
    I decided that i'll try and loose weight and then see what happens i am currently on birth control and am getting lighter every day. do not by any means consider me an expert but i would suggest u think twice when u commit to something i knew i couldn't do it.

if u do decide to do it you can try the processed vegetarian protein, nuts, beans and dairy as a protein source....
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hello. i am a vegetarian as well, and have chosen to try out a keto diet. i was doing alright for about a week (today i def went off track. still learning not to use food for emotional crutches). i do find it hard sometimes to get the right balance of my macros, or even making myself eat some meals.