Calorie Deficit or Macros? HELP (pretty please)

Options
After a month (5 weeks) of really focusing on health and fitness, I lost nearly 10lbs, but have stalled and feel bigger and more fatigued, not to mention a bit snappy in the last week.
So, I printed out my stats and took my averages and I may not be eating enough calories, too much fat, and too little protein.
How much do macros really effect weight loss...Is it not just a matter of creating a calorie deficit?

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, macros don't have much of an affect on weight loss. Calories are king. If you want the weight lost to be fat, macros will play a more significant rule in determining that.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Another reason to eat more protein is that it tends to fill you up better, and leave less calories left for unhealthy calorific carb-laden snacks!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    macros = body composition

Address both. Be awesome.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    After a month (5 weeks) of really focusing on health and fitness, I lost nearly 10lbs, but have stalled and feel bigger and more fatigued, not to mention a bit snappy in the last week.
    So, I printed out my stats and took my averages and I may not be eating enough calories, too much fat, and too little protein.
    How much do macros really effect weight loss...Is it not just a matter of creating a calorie deficit?

How much are you eating, and what is your defict?
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know that I definitely feel better when I am eating more protein. But I also think that this is not true for everyone.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    -The absolute minimum number of calories you should be eating is your BMR (basal metabolic rate) as these are the calories that basically keep you alive. As long as you are eating fewer calories than you burn each day, you will still lose weight.

-What are the percentages you have for carbs/fat/protein? In general, you should be eating at least 15% protein and 30% fat, with the rest filled in from carbohydrates. Since you are restricting calories, it is especially important to be hitting, if not exceeding, those numbers for fat and protein.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

agreed.

Having said that you can have adequate protein intake but if you are doing resistance training then you will still lose a fair portion of LBM. (Depends on BF% and size of deficit)
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    macros = body composition

Address both. Be awesome.

Simple enough!
    Thanks!!
    :D
  • terriblyn
    Options

Thanks for the link!!
    Checking it out now :)
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    As a general rule, macros don't have much of an affect on weight loss. Calories are king. If you want the weight lost to be fat, macros will play a more significant rule in determining that.

I have yet to hear anyone say "I want to lose 10 pounds of muscle"
  • terriblyn
    Options
    -The absolute minimum number of calories you should be eating is your BMR (basal metabolic rate) as these are the calories that basically keep you alive. As long as you are eating fewer calories than you burn each day, you will still lose weight.

-What are the percentages you have for carbs/fat/protein? In general, you should be eating at least 15% protein and 30% fat, with the rest filled in from carbohydrates. Since you are restricting calories, it is especially important to be hitting, if not exceeding, those numbers for fat and protein.

So, my BMR is 1478
    my TDEE is 2032 (I used light activity as a modifier even though do cardio each day and resistance training at least 5days/wk)

For the last month I averaged per day:
    Cal: 1252
    Carb: 96g
    Fat: 54g
    Pro: 55g

I also burned an average of 343 calories a day with cardio
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories you need to eat at least BMR and most advice I've seen says TDEE -20% for steady weight loss (include eating back your exercise calories)
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1. you should be set at moderate activity.
    2. customize your goals macros 35% carbs 35% Pro 30%Fat nice an balanced
    3. get off the scale....worst tool in history for judging somebody
    4. use %BF and measurements %BF tells you how much your losing measurements- tell you where

Thats all you need to know
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • terriblyn
    Options
    Not enough calories you need to eat at least BMR and most advice I've seen says TDEE -20% for steady weight loss (include eating back your exercise calories)

I've heard that eating back your exercise calories isn't the best unless you are starving.
    Have you heard this too?
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    for a request like this, you need to open up your diary so that we can provide better input for you.

If you are using the MFP standard macros, you are not getting enough protein. They run protein WAY too light. Especially if you are doing any exercise. I eat 35/35/30 for my macros. I would suggest no less than 40/30/30.

Focus on building some lean muscle mass. Great fat burning that works 24/7 for you.

Good luck!
  • terriblyn
    Options
    for a request like this, you need to open up your diary so that we can provide better input for you.

If you are using the MFP standard macros, you are not getting enough protein. They run protein WAY too light. Especially if you are doing any exercise. I eat 35/35/30 for my macros. I would suggest no less than 40/30/30.

Focus on building some lean muscle mass. Great fat burning that works 24/7 for you.

Good luck!

Okay, I opened it...