Carb and Protien Snacks?

Options
wrevhn
wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
Ok, so since I keep hitting plateaus I"ve decided to try zig-zagging. Not just calories, but I read your types of food and exercises too.

My problem? I don't know good protien snacks (outside of just eating protein bars). And I'm not sure my idea of carb snacks is right either. Meals I can get down, but its snacks i have trouble with.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon snack, right before I leave to work out, I've been eating honey greek yogurt with 1/2 banana in it (or peach or nectarine). Carbs and protein all in one.

How about a smoothie? Milk, protein powder, ice, maybe 1/2 banana, some spinach (can't taste it), blender..
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    cheeses, but be careful, they can reach high in calories. Egg whites (I know it sounds boring, but if you fry it up with some fresh veggies, its high protein and adds extra nutrients and can be yummy). There's always Tofu (if you like it) and other vegetarian options that offer high protein with low calories. Just eat them with something . . . personally, I can't stand any of them plain, but a meatless burger with tomoato, avacado, and wrapped in lettuce can be just the thing.
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    Hummus w/ baby carrots, celery, and/or bell peppers, light (watch the sugar) yogurt, light string cheese - maybe wrap a piece of turkey or ham around it,
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    avocado with lemon. its high in fat, but its good fat and whole one is 12 grams of fiber
    almonds are great, i pack them in the 100 calorie bags, i believe a 1/4 cup is 100 calories
    cottage cheese
    hard boiled egg whites
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and whatever you like (fruits, peppers, etc.)
    Apples and cheese OR peanut butter
    Almonds with fresh grapes

Protein smoothies (worth a second mention!)

A lean protein lettuce wrap
  • savannah63
    savannah63 Posts: 15
    Options
    seems like it depends on where you want to keep your protein and carb levels ...I only watch my fat grams and my calories, and salt and sugar ....I read the labels on everything or look it up. My fav. snack or desert is low fat, low cal. yogurt and fresh fruit that I add myself ...or LOW "everything" rye crackers with tuna (packed in water) or LOW peanutbutter ( SMALL amount). I guess if a person has to work and has busy lifestyle it could present challenges that I don't have to worry about. Anyway the yogurt or fresh fruit makes sense to me just for over-all good healthy choice.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    chobani greek yogurt is a great protein snack also light cheese such as babybel lite (red waxed circle) Hard boiled eggs are great to have on hand, soy beans too (edamame)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    avocado with lemon. its high in fat, but its good fat and whole one is 12 grams of fiber
    almonds are great, i pack them in the 100 calorie bags, i believe a 1/4 cup is 100 calories
    cottage cheese
    hard boiled egg whites

i didn't know avocado had protien! And I can't believe I forgot about nuts.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    string cheese, beef jerky. good carbs would be whole grains, fruits, etc.