Does holding my belly all day help to lose belly fat??

Options
Hello everyone,

l've always heard that if l hold my belly all day l'll lose all that belly fat, and l was wondering if this is a correct way?

l'm afraid that this will only make things worse, does anybody have any idea about this?

l'm sorry if this is not in the right category, this is the first time l write here.

Thank you!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    oh lordy
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    No you are only causing tension in your muscles, to much of this will cause lactic acid build up and you will get sore.

Belly fat is reduced like all fat (fat comes off where the body wants it to, you can not spot reduce) by controlling your diet and calories.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No, but it teaches you posture. In the weeks leading up to a comp, when I get up and walk around at the office and when I'm walking around town I do stomach vacums. This way you learn to hold your stomach in and walk with a better posture which means it works automatically on stage...
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Is that all I had to do? Damn, what a waste of time it's been eating right and exercising!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have a vision of your walking around cradling your belly like you are pregnant.

I suggest you ditch the belly tensing and try going for a run instead.
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you hold ur belly with ur hands im sure you will lose ... it will keep u from getting your hands on food.:wink:
  • Inkygurl
    Options
    No, only diet and exercise will reduce belly fat. But it will help strenghten your tummy muscles - in a small degree- and allow you to look a little slimmer. (Just because you are sucking it in...hehe) There isn't any magic trick- only diet and excercise :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have naturally held my stomach in all through out my life. I think I naturally fell into it since that is the first thing you learn in ballet, proper posture and they teach it to you by keeping your belly tucked in. Even when I sit now I keep my abs pulled in to make sure I am not slouching in the chair.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No, but it teaches you posture. In the weeks leading up to a comp, when I get up and walk around at the office and when I'm walking around town I do stomach vacums. This way you learn to hold your stomach in and walk with a better posture which means it works automatically on stage...

Great response, and it makes sense! Thank you!
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Let us hope for your sake that your "idea" does not constitute an infringement of my BellyCart© concept.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    how did you find out my secret?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you're sucking in your belly all day, then you're working muscles. This will strengthen the muscles and burn a tiny bit of calories, It''s also good for posture. Try pulling in your hips and lifting your head up at the same time.
    But other than the (very minor) calorie burn,it will not help you lose belly fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no but if you hold your breath all day you will lose weight....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Damn, all this time I've been doing it wrong.
    *sucking it in*
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    Here's the next best thing:
    Ab_Enhancer.jpg
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Here's the next best thing:
    Ab_Enhancer.jpg

Do they have an 8=pack version?
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Being a ex-gymnast I've been holding my belly pretty much all my life. Just help you have a better posture, I don't even think about it anymore I just do it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will make you lose fat. You can't spot-reduce though, there's no way to specifically get rid of belly fat.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it helps!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Also holding your breath while you are doing it helps.:indifferent: