Stronglifts 5x5 Squats

Options
Sorry if this was covered before, but I don't have time right now to do an extensive search. Need some quick advice.

Just started 5x5 on Sunday and I might have to modify the program a bit until I'm more confident on my form. Here's the deal.

Currently 5'5" @ 214 lbs, most of my weight is carried in my middle, *kitten* and thighs(I look 6 mths pregnant). Last October, I was topping 240 and slipped getting in the shower. Didn't fall, but caught myself weird and my lower back was screwed until late December.

Thanks to MFP, I still manage to drop 18 lbs while suffering. Diagnosis showed unspecific inflammation. SI joint was stiff. Doc said arthritis was starting to settling in with discs thinning, but that was probably age related. I did physical therapy through December and finally felt better. PT was a huge reality check for me on just how "out of shape" I had become! January was spent doing yoga and continuing PT exercises while dieting. I feel *almost* back to where I was before the shower mishap, but that ain't saying much.

Maybe I'm reminiscent of younger days when I lived in the gym, but I REALLY want to do this 5x5 program! I had no problem doing 5x5 with the bar on sunday, and my back is naggy for lack of a better word. I can tell it's not happy about all this exercise, but I haven't messed anything up(yet).

After watching videos and reading, I've come to realize that I'm probably doing 1/2 squats at best.

Last night I tried to do a full squat at home (where hip and knee are parallel to the floor) and I just CANNOT DO IT! My knees are too weak, my hamstrings are shortened from years of sitting at a desk and my stomach gets in the way. I hate admitting that, but where else am I going to discuss this?

Sidenote: I had no trouble benching the bar. Rows were a bit awkward when pulling up, since boobs and stomach were in the way, but I managed.

So it appears the 5x5 demands a full squat. No can do. As I drop weight and knees/back get stronger, it'll come. In the meantime, I was thinking of doing the 1/2 squats with bar only - until I can perfect the form and go lower comfortably. Maybe increase weight by 5-10 lbs to challenge me a bit more and then hold there a while?

Tonight I go for (B) workout and will be attempting DL and OHP for the first time. I've got a solid clue on form for these, but still nervous knowing my core/back are unstable. [ I intentionally don't wear a belt, because I want to work those muscles.]

Do you think it's ok to do the 1/2 squats with the bar until my form is closer to a FULL squat? (this could take weeks)
Should I just shelve the 5x5 program and do isolation work on my core for a while and come back later?
Is it ok to just go slower on weight progression until I'm body confident on form?

Edit: My plan is the nights I'm not doing gym, I'm doing DDP yoga at home. I also have elliptical at home for cardio. Also increased calories to accommodate the increase in exercise.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have tweaky knees. I know my legs can squat heavier, but my left knee tweaks. I've had my form checked, and it's fine. I also have a hard time getting below parallel because that's where my left knee flips out. (I blame dancing/color guard in HS & college and lugging around 45-50 extra pounds for many years.) I just load up the bar and go as deep as I safely can. I'm actually going to go up in weight this week and just see if I can keep going to strengthen the muscles around my knee to support it more. I say do whatever you can with good form and work on going deeper. I wouldn't ditch the program, I'd do the 5X5 with the bar until you have it down where you're comfortable. You can continue to get the 5x5 benefits on the other lifts and do a normal progression. You should know that I'm not a trainer or medical professional, and my husband's tendency to "play through the pain" has rubbed off on my on my fitness journey....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Keep at it girl. Work on that form and your mobility, get a foam roller and roll out your back, hamstrings, etc. Work on flexibility squatting as low as you can and holding it (without any weight). You'll get there.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar wih 5x5 but I presume it is a heavy lifting plan...

That being said, starting with a weight that makes it very hard to do the 15th rep is a good way to start for a week or two - this helps strenghten the ligaments and tendons before you start whipping lots of weight around, from what I've read (new rules for lifting for women). After the first week or so, up the weights to a point hwere you can only get to 12 reps, then 8 reps with more reps. Your entire body will improve in strength and flexibility - but make sure you are warming up first.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am about your size and shape. It isn't just the knees. When I get all the way to parallel, I am very precariously balanced on my heels - too much weight behind them. This is one I would definitely practice without weights until you are confident with the form, so that you don't fall again. It took me a couple of weeks to really be consistent.

Depending on your routine, one thing that can help with balance is to hold a medicine ball or heavyish dumbbell out in front of you while you squat. Obviously, this working very different muscles than a barbell squat, though.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    *bump* anyone else want to chime in?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Get the hamstring flexibility worked on, confirm form with feet far enough out, and practice complete with empty or light bar until flexibility is there.

Belly shouldn't really matter if feet are proper width and toes pointing out and knees following toe direction.

Make sure you aren't in squishy shoes if that much heel press.

If you haven't seen this, watch a great teacher doing them, and then notice his videos of teaching others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would work on flexibility and form until you can get down low. I asked a question about squats today and was suggested this set of videos -

http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-squat-parts-1-5/

I thought they were great for really explaining exactly what parts of the body move and where they need to be for the squat.

Oh, and welcome to our strange addiction........ :)
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump to look at links on here.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    As the stroglifts guide states, you would keep doing squats with just the bar until you can complete 5 sets of 5. You can increase the wieght for other moves if you can complete those moves' sets.

He has an app for tracking what weight you're doing for each exercise.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do not use a 45lb bar if you currently are. Just try to do squats with no weights. Work on getting your proper range of motion back.

If you need more weight, do goblet squats - hold a dumbell vertically with both hands in front of you.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/cms/uploads/1/1001-goblet-squat-483x300.jpg
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    Thanks for the links... will have to review them at home later before I hit the gym. Last thing I want to do is start out doing lifts improperly and create a bad habit I have to break later.

And before anyone mentions it, the gym I go to is a small 24/7 outfit - so training resources are slim to none. I actually hired one of two trainers for one session and she directed me to the floor mats for crunches. So I won't use her again. Don't need to pay someone to count my crunches, LOL
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Even with your body shape you should be able to hit proper depth, even if you are not real flexible. I'm not flexible at all but have never had a problem hitting depth. You want to sit back into the squat, not bend your knees to start moving down. When you are ready to start your rep, the 1st thing that should move is your hips, and they should move back. Like sitting down on the toilet. As you move your hips back, your knees will bend and you'll naturally move downward. You want your shins as close to vertical as you can keep them, and you definitely want your knees behind your toes. Your shoulder blades should be squeezed together, your back should be arched and your head should be up. I like to pick out an imaginary point on the wall ahead of me and focus on that, so that when you are at the bottom of the lift, you still have your head up. This sounds like you'll fall over, but you won't. Practice doing it with no weight, but use your arms out in front of you to counter balance yourself. Once you are using weight, that will act as the counter balance. Ideally the weight should move almost directly up and down in a straight line.
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    I think part of the problem for me is my stance. I have to practice putting feet further apart and toes pointing out. I was doing it with toes forward and feet closer. It's hard to teach yourself this stuff based on a video. Thanks for the feedback.
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do the barbell squats as deep as you comfortably can. Instead of progressing weight every workout, you might want to stay with each increment for a few workouts and focus on hitting a slightly deeper depth each time.

Also, consider trying some goblet squats, either in place of or addition to the regular squats on occasion. It's great for working on form, and it might allow you to get to full depth and really feel out your squat.

Hope that helps!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Performing 1/2 squats is bad for your knees. Full squats using a complete range of motion utilizes the joint the way it was meant to be and doesn't place the sheer force on the knee joint.

Here's a good video for form...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

If hitting depth is your concern then get a box or short stool to squat onto. Performing "box squats" without sitting back onto the box. It should be short enough that you can hit a comfortable depth, but tall enough that you aren't overextending the movement. This will allow you to focus on form going down and let the box tell you when you're low enough. It sounds like you have a lot of form issues going on and it may be helpful to have a live person evaluate your form. Sometimes you just don't get everything from a video.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do not use a 45lb bar if you currently are. Just try to do squats with no weights.

^^

That's what I had to do. Dry, no weights, just form for my first 3 sessions. Did one session with a 2x4 under my heels and then without the 2x4 next time. Watched Rippetoe's coaching videos (he's really really into hammering home the proper deep squat form for barbell squatting) and just copied the movements, over and over again until I got as low as I needed to. Feet out 30 degrees and don't be afraid to shove those knees out sideways to follow along. He explains it pretty well on where to focus your sight, and how to adjust your overall stance so you can move with your posterior chain and letting the power come from your hips rather than the front of your thighs. The hardest part for me was to learn to deep squat with my heels all the way down to the floor rather than tip-toed. Once you get a "feel" for it then it becomes pretty easy.

Today was workout #4 (I do Starting Strength, but same same just less sets) and I was finally able to do a proper squat with a 45 lb bar for 2 sets, and still ended up doing 1 set with no bar at all. Always back to basic form so I don't get ahead of myself and adopt bad habits because those will hurt you when you get to the heavy weight loads.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It's perfectly fine to take it slow and focus on form before you add weight. And keep going back to form and go over the basics to make sure you never lose sight of them as you increase the weights.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jeeze dont have your toes out, your not a duck!
  • dstromley1
    Options
    wrong
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    wrong

The wider your stance the more your toes need to point out to help your knees track properly.
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    Well, every instructional video I've watched seems to have toes pointing to about 10 and 2 on the clock. (not sure the angle) I tried it at body weight like that and can get deeper, so we'll see how it goes at the gym.