Extreme Vanity Sizing at Target! TWO+ sizes too low!

Options

Replies

• TigressPat
    Options
    I didn't find this site particularly helpful, but perhaps you'll make better use of it:

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

all UK sizes and shops.

wont make any sense to Americans!

(but generally subtract 2 sizes from what they say)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.
    [/quote]

Wow, rude much?
    [/quote]

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I didn't find this site particularly helpful, but perhaps you'll make better use of it:

all UK sizes and shops.

Actually there is a button at the top of the page to switch between US and UK sizes and the list of shops changes, too.

I didn't notice it at first either.
  • TigressPat
    Options

all UK sizes and shops.

Actually there is a button at the top of the page to switch between US and UK sizes and the list of shops changes, too.

I didn't notice it at first either.

ah sorry, didn't see that!

Might help some I guess. For me it was all over the place! (not that I didn't already know I have an impossible to fit body!)
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am so disgusted with women's sizing in ALL STORES! There is no consistency between stores. You never know what size you fit into before you try stuff on. Men have it so easy! They walk in and ask for a 34 waist and a 32 length, that is what they get. I wish all women's clothing could be uniform in sizing! Also, I think things have gotten smaller! I have a medium sweater top that is probably 20 years old that fits me, but my new sweater tops are all 1X now.
  • NonnaDot
    Options
    [/quote]

You don't know anything about my body shape. I'm not wearing ultra low-rise jeans while muffin-topping over them. It's the way my body is proportioned. If I want something to even remotely fit in the *kitten*, it ends up being ENORMOUS in the waist to the point of actually having to fold the fabric at the waist under the belt like a pleat.

[/quote]

Same here!!! I found the jeans at Bealles to fit perfectly though, even with the small waist/large hips, and without the waist gap.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    For womens clothing I don't believe there is a standard sizing like there is for mens.

Womens pants vary in sizing from brand, to fit, to style, and will vary for same size, same style, same brand it seems
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sizing is confusing to me. I have tops from XS to L. I have jeans from 00 to 8, all of them fit equally well. I've given up shopping by size. Most size S - M tops are ok, and most size 2 - 4 jeans are alright.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Weird sizing is also in the UK . I always have to try something on rather than just pick up a size, I have quite big thighs but a relatively small waist so getting something to cover my backside is fine but you could fit another person in the waist band, If something fits my waist, I cannot bend my knees without cutting off the blood supply to the rest of my leg!!

I have the exact same problem.
  • smantha32
    Options

My advice: IGNORE the size. Try on things, and buy what fits. No matter what the size.
    If you mail order, buy a bit larger - you can always take it in.
    It will also help you know that manufacturer's sizing, so you'll know what to buy.

It just sucks because you have to take the same item into the dressing room in 3 different sizes. I freaking HATE having to try on 50 different items to find 3 or 4 that fit well.

It makes more work for store employees too. They have to put it all back.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.

Measure around your hips at the largest point with the tape measure and write this measurement down. Round this measurement up to the nearest half inch.

Compare your measurements from Steps 1 and 2 to a sizing chart. Size 2 pants fit waists of 24 inches and hips of 34.5 inches. Size 4 pants fit waists of 25 inches and hips of 35.5 inches. Size 6 pants fit waists of 26 inches and hips of 36.5 inches. Size 8 pants fit waists of 27 inches and hips of 37.5 inches. Size 10 pants fit waists of 28 inches and hips of 38.5 inches. Size 12 ...

Doesn't work for me.. I have a 31" waist currently and 40" hips. I'm wearing a 10 and they're usually a little too big in the waist. Frustrating.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I always find the opposite true with Target clothing... my typical size is WAY too small... :-/ and what is it with only tall people being able to wear their pants....

lol! Us tall people think all the pants are made for short people! But good point!
  • bre1833
    bre1833 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue with Target. I'm usually an L and if I buy a tshirt from there I have to buy an XXL. :grumble:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I always find the opposite true with Target clothing... my typical size is WAY too small... :-/ and what is it with only tall people being able to wear their pants....

lol! Us tall people think all the pants are made for short people! But good point!

Tall people (truly tall people) can't wear Target pants. I'm 5'11 with a 36" inseam at minimum. Most regular length pants are 32-33".
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know at 5'2" and around 172 pounds, I was a size 12. Now that I'm 140 pounds, I jump anywhere between 6 and 8 depending on the jeans. I guess we're all different?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Tall people (truly tall people) can't wear Target pants. I'm 5'11 with a 36" inseam at minimum. Most regular length pants are 32-33".
    I'm 5'2" and I'm lucky if their "short" size jeans aren't too long on me - no matter what the waist size is, the Merona Jeans are not made truly "short". They are at least 1 inch too long.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I know at 5'2" and around 172 pounds, I was a size 12. Now that I'm 140 pounds, I jump anywhere between 6 and 8 depending on the jeans. I guess we're all different?

I'm 5'2" and 177 and I'm currently wearing a size 8 or 10. At 140 lbs, I'm guessing I'd wear a size 4. We're all different.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

I just got a chance to read all of these comments. Wanted to pop a sincere THANK YOU to everyone for contributing!

These links, opinions, experiences and informative resources are valuable and I'm grateful to you.

Thank you for showing me the good side of our community for the first time in a while. Glad I posted after all.

:drinker:

One thing I did want to mention that some women on the thread don't seem to know yet:

Women's sizes are even numbered. Juniors sizes are odd.

It would be helpful to have this info when determining which types of fits are best for your body type. For example: while a 12 in women's is loose in the waist for me, a 13 in juniors is way too baggy in the waist but too tight in the butt and thighs. Just thought that might help a bit. :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad to see women wearing women's AND junior sizes and wondering why they're so different.

Well, because they are.

Juniors are designed for a slimmer build. That's why they're called "juniors". They were originally designed for teens who hadn't quite developed yet but were too tall for girls' jeans. Juniors have a slimmer cut and are good for women who are slimmer through the hips.

Women's jeans are the typical cut, with the waist smaller than the hips. You can usually find variations on that cut now, and women's jeans are made for all body types. So, those with slimmer hips can find things in "skinny" cut and the like.

Therefore, any woman can wear women's jeans, but not all women can wear juniors jeans. I cringe whenever my curvy plus-sized friend tries to wear a size 13 and then can't figure out why they fit wrong. It's because she should be wearing a 12 or 14, depending on the brand.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    One size chart that's not changed (I'm pretty sure, but could be wrong) over the decades are actual pattern sizes (aka, Simplicity, McCalls, etc). So you can see how it varies from store to store.

I honestly didn't read the whole thread (so sorry if this is a duplicate!), but here's a helpful link: http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-measurement-charts.aspx#misspetite

The nice thing about measuring yourself against an actual pattern (vs. label measurements) is you get a whole range of things to measure and compare to.

As far as how that translates to a store's actual size, who the heck knows, but when picking out my personal "size", I've taken to going back to actual pattern sizing. My mom used to make my clothes when I was little!