cast20.jpg

Rubber coated iron;
bodymax_rubber_radial_weight_plates.jpg

What do you think?

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My gym (with 3 local locations) uses the rubber coated iron. They seem to hold up well. I don't think I've seen any cast iron plates in years.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use solid cast iron, although i'm on a standard 1" barbell (rated up to 150kg/300lbs).

When i move onto an olymbpic bar i'll probably get the tri-grip rubber coated ones, just for eas of carrying/storage!

Simon
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The rubber-coated iron, especially if you're going to do deadlifts and Olympic lifts.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would go with the rubber coated - also since there is a place to put your hands you can use them without the bar easier too
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The rubber-coated iron, especially if you're going to do deadlifts and Olympic lifts.

if you're going to do Olympic lifts, you need bumpers. I assume the OP isn't though, as they specifically said they do not want bumpers.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Rubber coated! I love my rubber coated weights :love:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Rubber coated adds thickness, but quiets them down a little on deadlifts. It doesn't make it safe to drop the weights.

I'd go with whatever plates of reasonable quality you can find used...
  • RhysGM
    RhysGM Posts: 39
    Options
    I guess I'm going with the rubber plates.

I'm not going to be dropping them, I may still do deadlifts, but I'll just stick the weights on a phone book if it's not at the correct height.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

if you're going to do Olympic lifts, you need bumpers. I assume the OP isn't though, as they specifically said they do not want bumpers.

My bad. I didn't read it all.