how to determine if you are lighly or mod active?

Options
i am trying to figure out my tdee and i am stuck when you would change setting from lightly to mod active? I have always had mine set to lightly but was unsure of when i woudl ever need to bump i u p, how much more moving daily i woudl have to do for that change? I have always just done cals and eating back exercise cals, but i think tdee might be the way for me to go to know what my max is so at least i know i would be maintaining if i consume too many cals...

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    help.. anyone?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter as all the estimating you do (calories eaten, calories burned, etc) will likely have a great impact on yoru results than this decision will.

IMO, if you are trying to lose weight, chose the more conservative lightly active. If you are trying to gain, chose moderately active.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
    Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
    Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
    Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
    Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

Where do you fit in there? Most calculators are pretty specific on what the levels are.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I find it confusing as well so I always err on the side of "lightly active". I have a desk job but I also work out 7 days per week. So technically, wouldn't that make me qualify for "Little or no exercise" AND "Heavy Exercise"? It's all just labels - work out and don't worry about it. If you go with lightly active, you won't take credit for burning more calories than you really are - as I said, err on the safe side.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and look after my elderly parents at night so my exercise is sporadic at best right now. I choose my level as sedentary and then add any exercise I do separately although I don't generally eat exercise anyway. I can't count on any definite calorie burn per day to choose it and use the levels of exercise in TDEE.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I clean houses for a living and thats pretty physical ( lugging a 30 lb vacuum up flights of stairs all day, and cleaning up apartments after college students have trashed them) but I went ahead and put lightly active and eat half of my exercise calories after I workout. I am starting weight training and from what I understand I will have to up my calories.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have a desk job and look after my elderly parents at night so my exercise is sporadic at best right now. I choose my level as sedentary and then add any exercise I do separately although I don't generally eat exercise anyway. I can't count on any definite calorie burn per day to choose it and use the levels of exercise in TDEE.

I think that's the best approach for people with varied workout routines/schedules. It takes a little more logging, but generally makes it easier to evaluate results.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter as all the estimating you do (calories eaten, calories burned, etc) will likely have a great impact on yoru results than this decision will.

IMO, if you are trying to lose weight, chose the more conservative lightly active. If you are trying to gain, chose moderately active.

I agree the most with this post so far. Just know that if you aren't happy after a month or so, you can always change it.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think only put in active day to day if your job involves physical work or you are regularly working out on a daily basis. For me personally, I cycle to and from work every day, so I would consider that a base level of activity, but anything else I record as a cardiovascular activity (ie gym, tennis, etc).
  • bfitnbfab
    Options

Where do you fit in there? Most calculators are pretty specific on what the levels are.

Here's where I don't like those descriptions:
    Walking 3 days a week vs Mixed Martial Arts training 3 days a week = Light exercise, but I hardly consider MMA training to be light exercise when I can burn anywhere from 500 - 1000 calories depending on length/intensity of my training session

The use of the terms light, moderate, heavy makes me think intensity, not frequency. They are two completely different things when it comes to exercise. This is where I have problems with using TDEE vs BMR plus adding in workout sessions. I feel like I'm over-analyzing it because it's vague.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Here's where I don't like those descriptions:
    Walking 3 days a week vs Mixed Martial Arts training 3 days a week = Light exercise, but I hardly consider MMA training to be light exercise when I can burn anywhere from 500 - 1000 calories depending on length/intensity of my training session

The use of the terms light, moderate, heavy makes me think intensity, not frequency. They are two completely different things when it comes to exercise. This is where I have problems with using TDEE vs BMR plus adding in workout sessions. I feel like I'm over-analyzing it because it's vague.

Been there. But don't worry about it being vague, look at it as an estimate (which it is). Pick one, try it for a month them adjust as necessary.
  • lin7604
    Options

i vary, that's the problem. Some weeks i do 3 days others i do 5-6... some days i do a simple 30 min rin30 or 30ds and then the next i do 50 min of slim in 6... it varies so much...

i have had mine set at lightly active as i used to have it set at sed and ate all my exercise cals back but i have just bounced around since dec the few 3-4 lbs up and down, so i thought maybe i am not eating enough to get me to my final goal? I am only 5 lbs away but seem stuck since oct really.....
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I think that's the best approach for people with varied workout routines/schedules. It takes a little more logging, but generally makes it easier to evaluate results.
    I've had the same issue.. trying to decide if I'm sedentary or lightly active due to a varied work out schedule. These 2 posts help. Thanks!
  • lin7604
    Options
    ya my workout schedule changes all the time and i am on my feet almost all day with work as i work with pre schoolers... but didn't know if i am still not active enough to bump myself up or not... have no idea if i am eating enough or not all i know is i am stuck since oct pretty much and i haven't lost weight or inches, just the same 3-4 lbs up and down...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    how to determine if you are lighly or mod active?

You are lightly active if you only post here ever so often.

You are mod active if, according to some, you are overly sensitive and lash out at members in irrational ways for their post.

Just what I have heard.

lol. Sry. Couldn't resist.
  • lin7604
    Options
    HAHA LMAO!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am currantly on lightly active and eat back exercise calories. I am losing kind of quick. When I get to 68kg, I will maintain and if I am still losing I might need to up my calories to active. I have days when I work really hard at work, lifiting 10kg boxes and grates of bread. Lots of stands and pushing and walking. Also I am more active at home now I am getting fitter. I think that is changing my base activity level.