Body Pump class at LAFitness

Options
Just wondering if anyone has ever taken this class? I'd like to know what sort of intensity is involved and how much free-weight experience is required. I'm still fairly new to free weights, and would like to learn correct form etc, but wonder if this class would be an appropriate level/venue to do so?

Any experiences with this?

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's usually a fun class and the emphasis is more on number of reps as opposed to heavy weights. You'll do a short warm up and then you will work just about every muscle group. I would say intensity is low moderate to moderate (if you consider a kick boxing class as high intensity). The instructor will show you correct form and since you are not lifting major weights you get a chance to practice form with light weights.

In general, it's a good workout, you will learn good form, it's fun so give it a try.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did my first Body Pump class the other week (not at an LAFitness but I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same! Speak to the instructor beforehand and they'll give you some tips on form. I'm guessing you know about form for squats and lunges already? One thing I did do was go to the Les Mills website where they have videos of the moves they use and how to do them which I found helpful in finding out what to expect.

You can decide on the amount of weight you have on your bar for the different sections and the instructor should give you an idea of what sort of amount you should be using.

Basically, I'd say go along, make sure you chat to the instructor beforehand, have a go and then decide what you think of it. It should be accessible to most levels.

Enjoy!
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    You need no experience, your instructor should give you the basics when they realise that you're new.

I love it, totally addicted. Such an awesome full body work out to really awesome tunes!
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump! I agree with the above poster, chat with the instructor and let them know that you are brand new.
    Also, start light...you can always increase through the class as you use different weights for different exercises.
    I found it a super way to get comfortable with free lifting!

Enjoy!!!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    L O V E

I'm actually contemplating skipping out on work for an hour to go this morning - just don't want to piss off my boss! LOL
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    <
    I love it so much I went to training 3 years ago. You don't need any experience. Speak to the instructor beforehand and let them know that you are new, they should give you instruction on weight and station set up. If you are new to lifting they should recommend a light bar (smallest weights on each side) and taking small and medium weights to your station. The first time sets you up and after that you can adjust your weight according to your strength. Going light will also decrease your DOMS.
  • deniseandjelich
    deniseandjelich Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has ever taken this class? I'd like to know what sort of intensity is involved and how much free-weight experience is required. I'm still fairly new to free weights, and would like to learn correct form etc, but wonder if this class would be an appropriate level/venue to do so?

Any experiences with this?

You will do fine. I used to take this class years ago. It is a lot of fun and time flies by. The instructor will demonstrate everything for you. I would recommend not overdoing it with the weights on the first day, if this is your first time working with weights.. Grab 3 different sizes and have fun! :)
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have been doing other Les Mills classes for many years (mainly BodyCombat) and added a weekly BodyPump class to my schedule just this past June. All I can say is, you will see your body transform by doing this class regularily. It's fun, easy and with the mirrors all around, you can really check out your form to make sure you are lifting the weights in the right manner.

Enjoy! :smile:
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much - I didn't want to arrive and find myself completely out of my depth and holding others back! Off to book a class now :smile:
  • Lalenya
    Options
    I totally agree with the other posters - have a blast!!!
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Body pump is a fantastic class!! Focus on getting your technique right before trying to lift heavier weights. If you have a good instructor they will ensure you can participate whatever your starting point. Relax & enjoy