BMR, TDEE and Cals Burned. How much should I eat?

Options
Hi, all!

From what I have learned, BMR is included in my TDEE, and I should never eat below my BMR. So far, so good. But...

The TDEE is calculated considering my activity level

So which one is the correct equation to lose weight in a healthy way??? :

Calories my body needs to eat = TDEE - 20% of my TDEE
or
Calories my body needs to eat = TDEE - 20% of my TDEE + calories from exercise

My instinct would tell me not to eat back the calories I have burned with exercise, but after reading so much about how the body works, now I'm confused. Not eating it back would be like subtracting it twice somehow. Right? Wrong? :huh: I'm a bit lost.

I train hard and eat healthy. Considering my lifestyle for the past 15 years, that was a big change and a huge effort. I don't want to ruin that by eating too much or too little.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes your exercise if you chose the right level.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you figured out your TDEE. If you did it with no activity level/exercise than yes, you would eat back exercise calories. If you figured it using your average exercise in a given week than no, you wouldn't eat them back. It just depends on what's included in your TDEE.
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I get it now.

It's funny how everything works. I'm eating more now (and healthier) and I find it difficult, but I'm thinner. Although if I think as the body as a machine that needs fuel to run (good fuel), it all makes sense.