AM workouts: Question for the Early Birds

Options
Hi,

I want to start working out in the morning before I go to work and I'm looking for some tips or best practices. Like, how get up and going, do you eat breakfast before or after, etc....I'm really not a morning person AT ALL but my evenings can get quite busy so I'm trying to switch it up. Thanks!

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    I do exercise early on weekend days. I eat first, my training buddy does not. You need to experiment, because if I don't eat I get dizzy, if she does she gets an upset stomach.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I generally work out in the mornings. I get everything ready the night before. I used to eat beforehand, but I kind of bought into the fasted exercising for fat loss, so I don't anymore.

The key for me is NEVER to ask "do I want to get up?" I just get up because my alarm went off and it's a workout morning!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We wake up at around 5:30am. Feed and walk the pets.
    Then I make breakfast, digest for at least 40 minutes and work out.

That's probably not helpful to you.
    How long do you want to work out for before you leave? Are you normally not a morning person then? Start slow. It becomes routine after a while. Then you can start being a little more 'hardcore' with it.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    my routine:
    * set my gear out the night before in a place where i can get dressed and not disturb anyone
    * set alarm clock for 5:00
    * get up, pee, weigh myself, do victory dance (quietly)
    * drink 10 g of whey protein and my pre-work out drink
    * work out from 5:30 - 6:45 (ish)
    * come home, drink 20 g of whey protein with 1 T of honey
    * take a shower, shave, etc...
    * make a killer breakfast of 4 egg omlette (1/2 cup of fresh spinach, salmon, avocado, serrano peppers, garlic) multi-grain toast w/almond butter/strawberry preserves, 1 cup of strawberries and 1/2 c of blueberries

Once you do your gig for a few weeks, it will become natural to you.

Good luck.
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    I pack my lunch, work clothes and shower stuff in my gym bag the night before. If I'm weight lifting, I eat something (100-200 cals) before I workout, and typically have fruit or muscle milk afterwards. If it is just a cardio day, I workout on an empty stomach (makes me sick if I eat) and typically eat oatmeal once I get to the office. Still trying to find healthy grab and go options for when I'm short on time. I tried protein bars for a few weeks and they made me feel horrible, so any suggestions are welcome!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I try to pack the night before, especially if I'm cycling to wok.
    I get up at 5 or so, take care of the bathroom necessities, pour some coffee and spend about 10-15 minutes checking my workout for the day and the weather and logging onto a couple of websites. If I'm dragging, Ill eat a banana. Otherwise I just take y supplements and then get to working out.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I set out my clothes the night before, originally so as to not disturb my partner, but it does streamline the process. I get up, head to the bathroom, get dressed, grab my water bottle and get started. No time to talk myself out of it.

Some people get nauseous if they eat less than an hour before. Others get nauseous if they don't eat. You have to find out what works for you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally up between 3 and 4:30 every morning. Always been a morning person. It's when I have the most energy, so this may not be helpful to you.

I don't head out immediately after I roll out of bed. I take my time, have my coffee, eat something small. Give it an hour or so after that and then I work out. I'm a morning person, but rushing only makes me queasy. You might attempt to wake up early enough to give yourself that space to really wake up first.