Seeing the scale..

Options
I usually dont like to weigh myself very often, i try to do it once a month maybe every other month. But this morning hwen i weighed myself i 1lb heavier then 4 weeks ago,i dont understand how or why, my diet hasnt been super strict but it wasnt dirty or crazy, and my exercising has been extremely consistent, its always atleast 6 times a week, with atleast 3 cardio session and the rest lifting..Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The scale can be a liar sometimes. It can fluctuate +/- 5lbs approx. because of factors such as water retention. If you are eating foods with a lot of sodium, your body might be holding water and will make the scale add lbs. Drink more water (about 8 cups a day) and it will eventually go back down. It is usually better to measure your body inches to have a more accurate read of your progress.
  • sejor23
    Options
    That's good to know, im most likely going to have to start measuring just for more accurate readings, thank you!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Jess is right about the measurements. It stresses a lot of people out, but for me, I weigh daily, log it, and trend it for this very reason. If I only weighed once a month and it didn't do what I wanted, to me, THAT is more devistating than seeing your measurement noise every day.

Here is an example. Real data from this year.

measureprogress.gif
  • Dicecatt
    Options
    Jess is right about the measurements. It stresses a lot of people out, but for me, I weigh daily, log it, and trend it for this very reason. If I only weighed once a month and it didn't do what I wanted, to me, THAT is more devistating than seeing your measurement noise every day.

Here is an example. Real data from this year.

measureprogress.gif

I just wanted to say, you are such an inspiration, great job on your tremendous loss!
  • sejor23
    Options
    What would you say is a good loss of weifght from day to day? I know it'll obviously have to be .xxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    well its been about a month and a half for me, I have been going to the gym daily except for this past weekend(can you say blizzard?) and I ain't talking about DQ.
    I have lost about 10 lbs, I am eating 1200 calories a day, I cant do those mega strict protein diets because of kidney disease. so I just mix up low fat dairy, high fiber carbs and some meat or chicken protein..
    I dont think that I look much different but my clothes sure fit differently so that is ok with me..
    I'm at that age where it is hormonal weight that is kicking my butt.. But I will keep on going because I know that what is best for my body...
    and muscle weighs more than fat:wink:
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What would you say is a good loss of weifght from day to day? I know it'll obviously have to be .xxx

Well, if your target is 1 lb/wk, then 1/7 = 0.14 lb/day. You aren't going to be able to measure that change on a scale!

Set your target loss using your calorie deficit (3500 calories = 1 lb; so 3500/7 = 500 calorie deficit a day) and stick to it. No faster, no slower.

Losing weight too fast is bad too!