Hashimotos and large weight gain

Options
This morning I am going to buy new jeans. Not because I ve lost so much weight, but e cause the last 4months I've put on 20 lbs. the problem is, I am eatting a very healthy vegitarian diet and I work out 1-2 hours 5 days a week and the scale just keeps on climbing.
The past 6months of my life have been tourture. It became a nightmare this fall when I suddenly had a rash that came and went for Four months that was intense itching and burning. I was diagnosed with chiggers, scabies and then a poisonous spider bite. I endured all the chemical creams and toxins to have no results. I the. Found out that my antibodies we're high in my thyriod and this rash was caused by hashimotos.
Along with my rash and emotional effects.. Depression.. Anxiety. My hair has fallen out and my scale keeps goin up. I weigh more now then I ever have (while not pregnant) and at the fittest and have the healthiest life style. I run, walk, Zumba, turbo kick box, body pump and bosu. Yet I keep growing out of my clothes and I am so scared if I don't stop exhausting my self at the gym it will get worse yet it gets worse
I don't know where to go from here. I am so devestated, humiliated, feel like a failure, gross and just feel like crawling in a whole. My quality of life has depleted this year and I don't know what to do. Doctors have been totally worthless. I am suppose to sit and wait and see if my thyriod does off.. No medication, no suggestions..... Just frustration and anger.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Clearly you need new doctors. If you have Hashimoto's you should be on thyroid meds. No question there. Getting on meds, and stabilizing your thyroid levels, will improve all of your symptoms. It does take time to get the dosage right - usually 6 months or so.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My mother has Hashimotos, so I've seen her struggles and I agree 100% with omma
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor. I have pretty much all of the same issues, and it was impossible to convince a doctor that I've exercised and eaten healthy all my life, but I was still 200 lbs. Finally, after pretty much going bald, I gave up on my PCP and started seeing an endocrinologist, and everything started to make sense (like why at 210 lbs, I maintain at 1800 cals/day). Keep looking until you find a doctor that will listen to you!
  • Kmurphy0829
    Options
    The problem is I am seeing an endocrinologist. She said I have a good chance on going hypo this year and so she'll see me in six months, but as I am looking more into this condition everything I read said even with just elevated antibodies I should be medicated. I called today and haven't heard back yet. I went through 5 doctors to get to this point who told me my thyriod was fine but didnt the full test like I asked....I hate being at the mercy of someone to see tht a 28 yr old active and healthy who doesn't smoke drink or even drink caffeine shouldn't have so many issues.
  • javi536
    javi536 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain girl, so sorry! My levels were borderline hypothyroid for years, and my endo didn't think it was necessary to start hormone replacement therapy. To be honest, I didn't want to start either as all I've heard is that you'll be on it forever. (I rarely ever take any meds, not even tylenol) So I tried EVERTHING to control the weight gain, and ended up putting on 50+ lbs over three years. I started buying bigger jeans because I knew I was going to be in them within a few months, and didn't want to be humiliated shopping again. Super frustrating because I was working out and eating better than when I was in competitive sports, and weighed more than when I was 9 months pregnant with my second child. I finally had a breakdown in the doctors office and said I wasn't leaving without an answer or a solution. She gave me a prescription and said we'd keep monitoring my thyroid levels. It took about 2 months before I felt any differences, but slowly energy started coming back, hair loss stopped, nails stopped breaking, chills/body temp regulated, and weight gain stopped. While I'm super grateful and know there has been improvement, I have yet to actually LOSE any of the weight I gained. I've been taking a very low dose of Synthroid for about 7 months now, and am waiting for test results to see how my bloodwork looks. I don't have a real solution for you, but if you do want to start hormone replacement, I'm sure you can find a doctor to help. They seem to LOVE writing Rx's, more money for them. Good luck!
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new doctor. I had thyroid cancer. I have always had a problem dropping weight, but ever since I had my thyroid removed I have been dropping weight with diet and exercise.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Do NOT stop until you find a doctor who will treat you properly. Endos generally suck. Find a good, capable GP. Scour the Internet for fellow thyroid sufferers in your area and find out who they recommend. Demand dessicated thyroid. Do NOT tolerate a doctor telling you they can't do anyting until your thyroid gland dies.

*fights urge to throw things*

Oh, and just for good measure http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos or Hypothyroidism whichever makes more sense.... since i was really young like 5 or 6. took synthroid for quite a while and well, now after getting in shape my thyroid levels are really great! so i had a very underactive thyroid but it wasnt completely inactive...

i realize my post doesnt help.. BUT... dont let Hashimotos slow you down :D!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This morning I am going to buy new jeans. Not because I ve lost so much weight, but e cause the last 4months I've put on 20 lbs. the problem is, I am eatting a very healthy vegitarian diet and I work out 1-2 hours 5 days a week and the scale just keeps on climbing.
    The past 6months of my life have been tourture. It became a nightmare this fall when I suddenly had a rash that came and went for Four months that was intense itching and burning. I was diagnosed with chiggers, scabies and then a poisonous spider bite. I endured all the chemical creams and toxins to have no results. I the. Found out that my antibodies we're high in my thyriod and this rash was caused by hashimotos.
    Along with my rash and emotional effects.. Depression.. Anxiety. My hair has fallen out and my scale keeps goin up. I weigh more now then I ever have (while not pregnant) and at the fittest and have the healthiest life style. I run, walk, Zumba, turbo kick box, body pump and bosu. Yet I keep growing out of my clothes and I am so scared if I don't stop exhausting my self at the gym it will get worse yet it gets worse
    I don't know where to go from here. I am so devestated, humiliated, feel like a failure, gross and just feel like crawling in a whole. My quality of life has depleted this year and I don't know what to do. Doctors have been totally worthless. I am suppose to sit and wait and see if my thyriod does off.. No medication, no suggestions..... Just frustration and anger.

I have Hashimoto's too. I would get thee to a doctor willing to test and treat you as soon as you can. I have gotten the skin stuff before too (and still do in times of stress) but my levels are controlled with medication and my doc gave me topical meds for the eczema.

You are not a failure. You are not doomed. This disease might make things like weight loss a bit more of a challenge, but how much harder it is for you depends an awful lot on how much Hashi's will define you. This disease sometimes affects me, it doesn't define me and it doesn't define what I can and can't do with my body...eventually. I have CHOSEN to not let it hold me back.

You can choose that too, and you can start by demanding that a physician get on your team in getting that thyroid under control.

For a gland that's supposed to be shaped like a nice butterfly, it sure can be a b!tch. :)
  • javi536
    javi536 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For a gland that's supposed to be shaped like a nice butterfly, it sure can be a b!tch. :)

Haha, amen sister!! :P
  • SK24373
    SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am just going to say what worked for me and that was to find a wonderfully educated naturopathic doctor who treated my disease and not my symptoms. I too have chronic eczema, hair loss, eyebrow thinning, sudden weight gain while working out harder than ever with no caloric increase. I also had chronic knee pain. I was being treated for the eczema, arthritis, stomach distress, etc and nothing worked more than temporarily. I found a great naturopathic doctor who tested the individual components of the thyroid and adrenals and started working on a holistic approach to healing including: traditional thyroid medication, an anti-inflammation diet and supplements to support my weak and failing system. I know every one is different but if you can find a reputatable NMD in your area, it is well worth the time and money.
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    below
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am just going to say what worked for me and that was to find a wonderfully educated naturopathic doctor who treated my disease and not my symptoms. I too have chronic eczema, hair loss, eyebrow thinning, sudden weight gain while working out harder than ever with no caloric increase. I also had chronic knee pain. I was being treated for the eczema, arthritis, stomach distress, etc and nothing worked more than temporarily. I found a great naturopathic doctor who tested the individual components of the thyroid and adrenals and started working on a holistic approach to healing including: traditional thyroid medication, an anti-inflammation diet and supplements to support my weak and failing system. I know every one is different but if you can find a reputatable NMD in your area, it is well worth the time and money.

YES! I agree!! I just started seeing one for my HD.!She has answered every question I have been asking for YEARS..
    I feel very confident that she can help me. My traditional doctor didn't put all my symptoms together, and was treating like I was making it all up or exaggerating because I am only 24...My doc only testedone panel of thyroid, finally my Naturopathic doctor got me a requesition for all my T's and antibodies! phew thank you!
    Just with the minimal diet changes she has suggested (the ND) I feel better. I can't wait to start my thyroid protocol and see how I feel. FIGHT ! you know your body, demand the tests and treatments. good luck:)
  • 22behappysmile
    Options
    First- I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, IBS, Migraines, Ulcers, Asthma, Allergies, Insomnia, Chronic Fatigue, Anemia, and Hashimoto's. I also take medication for retention of water. I also have very abnormal reactions to medications. Ex: I was given Valium after my back surgery and I have no memory during the whole time I was on the medication. Other medications will cause me to have electrical shocks in my face and some medications will make me suicidal. I have a 26 yr old daughter that has all the diagnosis that I have plus Psoriasis and Pars Planitis. I have a 16 yr old son that has had four surgeries due to his illnesses. It breaks my heart. BUT my kids won't have to go through all the years of pain and discouragements of having doctors not believe they are ill.
    Second-One thing I have learned is that you have to accept what you CAN do and not beat yourself up over what you used to be able to do and what you used to weigh (my weight changes daily and goes up and down constantly); accept that Hashimoto's changes your life. Accept that if you are going to have a meeting in the evening, rest as much as you need to be able to go to the meeting. If you know a day is going to be hectic, rest the day before and plan to rest the day after. Learn your limitations and it is ok to tell others "NO" you can not do something.
    Third-I spent years going to doctors and them telling me all my symptoms where in my head. Nothing was wrong. I had a doctor tell me "I am sending you to gynecologist and a neurologist. When they find nothing wrong, you need to go see a psychiatrist. I found a wonderful neurologist that believed me and treated me with dignity, respect and acceptance. I also found a gynecologist that worked with me and we found out that the skin rashes and a severe itching would occur when my Estrogen was lower. Fourth-Everyone has different symptoms and responds to medications differently. Trust your instincts about what you believe. Just like I tell all new mothers. If you think something is wrong with your baby, trust your instinct. Keep going to doctors until you find one that is willing to be there and fight for you, with you. It will still be difficult at times, but trust your instincts.
    Fifth-Often when my Thyroid is off, my Estrogen is out of whack also. When they are both abnormal I have thought I was going insane because I could not control my emotions Also check your B, C, and D vitamin levels. I would cry one minute and want to cause someone bodily harm the next. I would have unbearable itching every where and scratch myself in my sleep until I would bleed. I would have hair growing where I don't want it! I also have pain. I describe my pain like this. Imagine putting your hand and forearm in a large bowl of ice water. Leave it there until it hurts so bad you have to pull it out. My whole body will feel that way. Sometimes it wakes me in the middle of the night. Sometimes it comes on slowly and other times it comes on very quickly. I use hydrocodone and our hot tub at 108 degrees (that is optimal for me). I stay in about 10-15 min) While it doesn't get rid of all the pain it seems to "reset" my pain level. I am unable to take Cymbalta or Lyrica due to the severe reactions I have to them.
    I wish all of you the best of luck. Remember to tell people how you feel and give them information so they understand what you are going through. That is how they can help you and you help yourself. Don't hide it. Don't be ashamed. You have done nothing wrong.
    I am just starting to learn about TrPs. Maybe investigate this avenue too. I hope I have helped one person not feel alone. We are all individuals and will have to find our own ways to recovery but sharing is caring.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing.
    I had problems with being lethargic, and tired for over 10 years.
    Then 6 years ago the weight started creeping on and I started battling chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia like symptoms,
    with a 20 lb weight gain over a 2month period.
    I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 months ago.
    I've been taking t4 meds since and have already lost 12lbs.
    We'll be upping my meds again in 2-3 months.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Do NOT stop until you find a doctor who will treat you properly. Endos generally suck. Find a good, capable GP. Scour the Internet for fellow thyroid sufferers in your area and find out who they recommend. Demand dessicated thyroid. Do NOT tolerate a doctor telling you they can't do anyting until your thyroid gland dies.

*fights urge to throw things*

Oh, and just for good measure http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Yes this! ^
    The person I buy fresh eggs and raw milk from is a wellness coach and said the same thing to me.