What exercise program to use?

Options
Good morning all.

I'm new to MFP; I have been pretty good about logging my food and staying under my calorie limit (1200 cals). I am a 50yo female, 5'4",current weight 225.

I want to get suggestions for a good exercise program to follow. I want to start walking, that shouldn't be a problem; I enjoy walking, I just need to make myself get out the door every morning. But I see so many posts about different workouts, that I kinda feel like a wimp/loser b/c I'm not burning 1000+ calories during an Insanity workout.

Is walking a good start? Or should I be sweating in front of my TV with Jillian or whoever?

I need some guidance, or maybe just reassurance that walking is a good place to start.

Thanks, Michele

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for friends also.

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Just moving more then you did before...Walking is a great start...
  • Jojan_neke
    Jojan_neke Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I love walking! It is a good way to start and to build some endurance. It is not that hard on the body and you feel better!

Personally I started with the 30 day shred, but you have to do what feels best for you. If you don't want to be jumping up and down in front of your computer/tv don't. If you are not 100% committed, the chance is that you will give up and feel bad about yourself. Its not worth it.
    Just do what you want! Maybe later you can add some swimming, biking or jogging? One step at a time!

Feel free to add me :) I can always use some extra friends!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start, might be easier to do than putting on a video. But if you want to walk at home check out Leslie Sansone, this site has clips of the videos so you can see if it will interest you.
    http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/leslie-sansone-exercise-videos-10

I just bought this video that I plan to blast my own music over it, reminds me of zumba class:
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/the-firm-cardio-dance-club-6136
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I think walking its great! I have done Jillian's muchaels DVDs and she is a mean woman lol... But she gets you results.
  • Anna800
    Options
    I'd also recommend this one for you, I use 3 lb weights with it.
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/xtend-barre-lean-and-chiseled-5988
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    definitaley walking, and I started with jilliands 30DS to build a bit of muscle and it really worked fo me, here is a link to my results, i was 254 lbs when I started it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844640-my-30ds-results
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Walking is a great addition to any exercise program but it's not an exercise program itself. I would start walking until you can do it for a long while without getting tired (this should probably take 2ish weeks) and then start adding in some other types of training in addition to the walking.
  • Anna800
    Options
    I see people recommending Jillian Michals for you but I think that might be too intense.
  • swil4
    swil4 Posts: 19
    Options
    Walking is a great place to start... You can adjust that to how you feel...
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are a thousand programs out there. All of them work if you are determined enough to do them. There is no cure-all, this is perfect for everyone approach.

Find what you like. Do it today. Do it again tomorrow. Do it again the next day. Take a rest every so often. As long as you keep moving and watch what you eat (something I struggle with daily), you'll see improvements.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you can get the weight watchers workout DVD. It has 3 levels and is easy on the joints.It includes circuit training with light weights along with aerobics.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy! Walking is a great place to start. You will naturally want to challenge yourself more and more, and eventually, walking might become a supplement/gateway to other forms of exercise.

I started by walking 2-3 miles a day, then I added in some classes at the gym (LOVE Zumba), then some Jillian Michaels, and some running. Now, I run half-marathons, I'm training for a full marathon, and I lift heavy weights.

Best of luck to you. Stick with it. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying a few different things. Walking is great but you may find some other activities that you really enjoy. Ride a bike, do some yoga, try some body weight exercises, etc. The most important thing is that you stay motivated and enjoy it. It's very easy to quit any program that you dread doing every day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be jumping up and down in front of your computer/tv don't.

That's one of my hesitations. I live in an old wood frame, pier and beam foundation farm house. I can just imagine exercising in the living room - the whole house will be shaking, bouncing and rattling. When the dogs run from one room to another, it sounds like an earthquake strike.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    I see people recommending Jillian Michals for you but I think that might be too intense.

Follow the beginner instructor. Less stress and intensity. A good way to start and build from there.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Honestly... the best exercise program is the one that you will actually do... Sure you will burn more calories in an hour of insanity than in an hour of walking... But that hour of walking sure burns more calories that sitting on the couch watching TV... Let's say your goal is to burn 500 calories a day... yep it might take you 2 hrs walking vs 1 hr running... but as long as you ended up burning what you wanted to burn that's all that matters, no matter how long it takes you to burn it.

I just started doing the Dancing with the Stars Latin Cardio tape... because the male instructor they have, looks sooooooooooo good doing the cha-cha that you are motivated to learn to dance like that, just so you can take a trip to Brazil and find someone who looks even 1/2 as good to be that close to to dance with... you can probably buy it for just a couple of bucks on amazon...
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Walking is great., I mostly walk and do Wii exercises. I try to walk up and down hills. You could also try a dance class/dancing - I went to social swing dance classes and they were fun but more intense than I thought they would be.
  • EmiluuRuiz
    Options
    I started on the treadmill when I first began on MFP. My endurance sucked! Yes, I do zumba now in front of my tv but its taken 5 months. Also, I downloaded the insanity dvds and yep can't see myself doing those. I have friends who are ultra fit who can barely do them. Ridiculous! Start somewhere thats right for you. When I first began I was doing 300-400 calories on the treadmill. Some calories and exercise is better than no calories and no exercise. Jillian Micheals 30DS is a nice 20 minute workout that does produce results. Beware, you will be sore, but once you get use to it, you will be fine! Keep trying and searching to find whats right for you!
  • Rosacanina
    Options
    Walking good for your head as well as your body. Put your shoes out ready, set your phone alarm and just go for it!
  • scrtsquirrl2
    scrtsquirrl2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI Michelle, there is nothing wrong with walking, try to work it up to a speed that it would uncomfortable to talk to somebody if they were walking with you. You might want to find some other type of exercise just to fight the boredom if it creeps in. I'm new to this also and am looking for friends.
    Mary