why are they getting rid of wrestling in the olympics?

Options
Why are they scrapping wrestling ? This is something that young kids love to do and promptes healthy living.

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Probably cause it does bring in the moooolah for the games. Seems to me that was one of the original sports in the very beginning.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's all about the $$. When the marathon stops generating $$ they'll scrap that too. Sad, one of the original sports.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's about money and politics.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Their reasoning is they want the olympics more modern. Making room for golf(seriously?), rugby(ok), and keeping so called sports like ribbon twirling crap. What a friggin joke...
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The pussification of the world - from wrestling to golf.
  • jessicaj22
    Options
    LIKE!!! Where is the like button!?! So true..
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. When my wife showed me the article right after the committee had made the decision, I about fell out of my chair. It's just one more cracked link in the chain of a weakening society. Remember when powerlifting used to be on major TV stations? (the 80s were really big with it, and even Ed Coan's comps in the 90s were highly televised) Now you can get five world record holders together lifting at a meet, and it's still little more than a 'basement gym get together'.

"Hey guys, I have an idea...let's get rid of wrestling, the sport that the Olympics were originally based around, but keep swimming!"
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Exactly!!!

however I did hear on the radio that there is a chance it does not get removed still...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    To say I'm pissed about this is an understatement. If wrestling wasn't THE first sport on earth...it has to be close.

Can't have baseball or wrestling, but we can have power walking! I'm pretty much done with the Olympics.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The wrestling community rallying already. Names like John Smith, Bruce Baumgartner, Dan Gable, Tom Brands, Cael Sanderson and many more have already made public statements. From the sounds of it, once the initial vote is made (in private, cowardly fashion I may add) its never been changed. However, this may be a first as wrestling was part of the original, ancient olympic games, as well as being in ever since the first modern olympic games. If I'm not mistaken, wrestling is participated in by every nation on earth as well. Wrestling is specifically mentioned in the Bible, something I've never heard about the majority of other sports. From a U.S. perspective, wrestling has produced the 3rd most Olympic medals for the nation, behind only swimming and track & field. Its history along with the vocal outcry that will be made in the coming weeks and months, I hope, will bring wrestling back before its dropped. If not, I don't know if I'll watch the Olympics anymore......would be too personal of a loss for me.

I have two Olympic connections family-wise (one by marriage is probably known by most on here. The other is a "loose connection", as my Uncle conducted (and I believe, though I can't confirm this at this moment, that he also composed the music played) while my cousin played in the opening ceremonies orchestra in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, when the fire was lit by the flaming arrow.

****my profile pic, by the way, was at the State High School wrestling finals in Iowa when my father won the Junior High coach of the year a couple of years ago. The largest high school tournament in the state, behind only the state tourney itself, is named after my father who started the tourney. This turn of events is VERY personal to me.****
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about other countries but apparently Canada is kicking up a stink about it. I am personly not into wrestling and are you serious that they want to remove it to make more room for golf? That last ime I checked you can still be over weight and play golf but you cannot be over weight and wrestle.
    I thought the olympics was about promoting the fittest, fastest, strongest athletes and now they want to get rid of a pretty hardcore sport, wow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Unless they get scantily clad females doing it in oil, wrestling isn't pulling in the money that some of the other sports do. Sadly, it seems that it's not about competition anymore, but capital.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Ribbon dancing is pulling in tons of money im sure.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this, cause it's one of the proven original olympic sports from Ancient Greek times... but I do think they should go back to how it was originally done. NEKKID! :devil:

LOL it would boost the ratings