Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Cranberries! (Pic)

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I am obsessed with Brussels Sprouts lately. I found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman site and had to try it. I tried it last night. It was delicious! You must try.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/brussels-sprouts-with-balsamic-and-cranberries/

I cut the recipe way down because it was just me that was going to eat them. This is what her recipe calls for...

eta: Oh, and I did not add the sugar to the vinegar. I left it out and it was fine.

Ingredients

3 pounds Brussels Sprouts
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Salt And Pepper
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup Dried Cranberries

Preparation Instructions

Trim/clean Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half if desired (or you can leave them whole). Arrange on two baking sheets and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper and roast at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown.

Combine balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on dried cranberries. Toss and serve immediately.

Here are what mine looked like:

m227123882.jpg

Replies

• Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    They lok gorgeous, what are the cals?
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy, can't wait to try it!

God bless,
    Karen
  • lina1131
    Options
    Oh, and I did not add the sugar to the vinegar. I left it out and it was fine.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I did not add the sugar to the vinegar. I left it out and it was fine.

hahaha that's why I WASN'T going to try this recipe was because of the sugar!

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I soooooo love brussel sprouts. Great recipe and pic. Hvae to give it a whirl (I am usually just a "steam and spritz with spray butter" kinda guy.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I entered the recipe into the calculator and WITHOUT the sugar, it is 149 calories per serving. If you make PW's entire recipe it is 16 servings. That would make the serving size 3 ounces of brussels sprouts. I think. Hell, I don't know. It's good for you, just eat it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Bump!!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will eat them roasted, they almost taste good that way...LOL I wasn't going to add the sugar anyway, so happy to see you didn't and it was fine. Thanks!!!!
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Love brussel sprouts too. I'm going to try this. Another one I like is from Cooking Light (and would appeal to bacon lovers).

Ingredients
    • 3 slices center-cut bacon, finely chopped (I actually cut this back to 2 slices)
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
    • 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

Preparation
    1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; drain.
    2. Add thyme and onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and Brussels sprouts; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with bacon.

Per serving: 81 cal, 1.5g fat, .5g sat fat, 6.1g protein, 4.9g fiber, 1.8g iron, 101mg sodium, 58g calcium
  • mrjasper25
    Options
    Thnx. Love brussel sprouts
  • doodlebug7531
    Options
    bump