working towards lifting.

Options
I am currently on a 6 week program at my gym where we get 3-6 people with a PT for an hour. In that hour we have done a lot of new to me exercises... mainly floorwork with kettlebells, medicine balls, dumbells and barbells and plenty of lunges, squats etc thrown in.

The last week of this course is next week, but in the 6 weeks I have been doing it, I have noticed I have really enjoyed it, its been much more challenging that the workouts I was previously doing. (mainly weight-machines and cardio 3x a week, and a good swimming session and aqua aerobics thrown in 3x of times a week)

I would like to get into lifting, but I really dont know how/where to start... and I'm not sure I am strong enough to (if that doesnt sound too crazy)

How would I know if I was ready to start really lifting?
Do I need a partner to help/spot?
Are there any programs I should consider before I think about lifting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but its a goal I would have never considered working towards 6 months ago.

Many thanks in advance

T :smile:

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Talk to one of the PT's that have gotten to know you.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They aren't dumb questions! Everyone starts out, and I'm sure everyone goes through the I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING phase.

A few recommendations:

New Rules of Lifting for Women. There's a book, and a group here on MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    www.stumptuous.com Krista Scott-Dixon's site. Some good reading there. There's also a facebook community.
    Starting strength - I'm not personally familiar with this program, but I've heard good things about it.
    www.exrx.net - A great way to get to know some of the correct forms for lifting.

As far as starting weight, that's tough. I spent about two workouts just getting to the right weight.

Above and beyond any of this, have fun.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I also recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is for beginners, you don't have to have a certain level of strength to start, you start at a weight you can handle and build up. The amount of weight you start at can be different for everyone.
  • foreverTaylor16
    Options
    A program that I just started that focus' on gainging muscle that you might look into is CrossFit. Ive only been doing it for a couple weeks, just twice a week, but I definently can feel a difference all ready.

It is a brutal program for the first time, but it does help with muscle and lifting A LOT!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Talk to one of the PT's that have gotten to know you.
    Thank you, I'll do that if I can get to my group early tomorrow! I dont often see the trainers standing around, they are in big demand at the gym.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    They aren't dumb questions! Everyone starts out, and I'm sure everyone goes through the I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING phase.

A few recommendations:

New Rules of Lifting for Women. There's a book, and a group here on MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    www.stumptuous.com Krista Scott-Dixon's site. Some good reading there. There's also a facebook community.
    Starting strength - I'm not personally familiar with this program, but I've heard good things about it.
    www.exrx.net - A great way to get to know some of the correct forms for lifting.

As far as starting weight, that's tough. I spent about two workouts just getting to the right weight.

Above and beyond any of this, have fun.
    Thanks for the links, I'll take a good look at them.

I assumed that you would need to be able to lift a certain amount of weight to progress from the dumbells and the smaller barbells.

edited to add
    Thanks Deksgrl for the vote for new rules too.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    A program that I just started that focus' on gainging muscle that you might look into is CrossFit. Ive only been doing it for a couple weeks, just twice a week, but I definently can feel a difference all ready.

It is a brutal program for the first time, but it does help with muscle and lifting A LOT!
    Unfortunately the gym I use doesnt do CrossFit in its classes (I assume its a class!)
  • traceyjj
    Options
    I made an appointment to reassess my program, but I dont get to see him for another 2 weeks :(
    I have tonight at this class, then 2 more sessions next week. I did manage to talk to a trainer who has been running the class I am on, and spoke to him a little about it last night...if he is one of the trainers tonight, I will speak to him a little more to find out the best way to progress from the weight machines to lifting weights.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength of New Rules of Lifting for a programme.

I started on New Rules but then moved to Stronglifts because I wanted to started with simpler routine. Once I’m done I’ll move back to New Rules.

I printed out the routine and booked a sessions with a trainer and asked to be taught each move. Most of the compound lifts you’d be doing will be with a barbell, so start light. The bar will either weigh 15kg or 20kg (most likely the heavier 45lb bar) so factor that in to what weight you are starting with. Start with the bar. Or start with one of the lightweight bars you have probably been using in your PT classes.

Stronglifts has you add 5lb each workout, this can be a little much for some people especially women, and on an overhead press you’ll probably be starting less than a 45lb (20kg) bar. Starting weight is very much dependent on the individual. Don’t be afraid to start light, form and technique is far more important than a number.

Make sure the trainers get your form right and read Starting Strength for a good grounding of muscle use and form. Probably worth booking sessions down the line with a trainer too – someone who can tweak your form or offer advice on weak points. Choose your trainer carefully. Since you sort of know what you want to do, make sure they work towards your needs. Not all trainers are interested in weight-specific training. Having a session with a trainer who then makes you spend 20mins on the treadmill is just pointless – I can do that in my own time thanks.

Ask your gym if they do kettlebell classes or bodypump – if it’s more ‘crossfit-type’ classes you are after.

good luck!!