I thought I was supposed to be getting SMALLER?!

Options
SO annoyed! I am following my diet plan & exercising 5-6 days per week. Mostly Treadmill, Elliptical, & strength training only 1-2 days per week. Usually my stomach fat is the LAST to go, but I've noticed after 2 weeks and only 6 pounds down, my stomach is noticably smaller, but my arms are bigger! You can see muscle at the top but then it makes my bat wings look bigger! I am grateful that my stomach fat is disappearing but my shirts look awkward. I wear scrubs 4 days per week and it's almost uncomfortbale to wear them they are getting so tight in the arms.

Sorry about my rant. I'm just frustrated! Anyone else have this issue? If so, did it resolve?

Replies

• caite1988
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are building muscle.. maybe slow down on arm exercises for a few days? or lighter weights?
  • Gemmyw22
    Options
    Yeah, do more cardio rather than weights x
  • AmandaRhys
    Options
    This happened to me. But I think maybe the arms aren't actually getting bigger...they just look it. Maybe because as the fat disappears the extra skin sags more? Keep going...it resolved itself with me. Arms look smaller now. I think they're going to take the most work with me though. good luck!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    more defined arms is you losing weight around the muscles therefore them becoming more visible. Not bigger.

If you're sticking to your diet plan (at caloric deficit, then you cant build muscle)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Unless she's taking steroids or has abnormally high test levels, I doubt the "muscle" gain in her arms is actual muscle gain
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i hear ya!
    i was a swimmer for over 10 years & a butterflyer... so if i even get near weights i bulk up and none of my cute dresses fit across my back/shoulders. i work really hard at balancing cardio with lighter weights and i do a LOT of toning with those stretchy band/tube things. (sorry - dont know their name) - they're fantastic and a commercial break option!
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't obesse on how you look for a while or ever. You are doing the right thing by losing weight & getting heathy.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe try higher reps with a lower weight for a while so you're burning fat and building muscle at the same time? Then switch to lifting heavy once you're comfortable again? I'm no expert though... actually, I'm just making this up, but it makes sense in my head?
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I am afraid of bulking up muscles, so I am focusing on cardio over weights for the time being. Strength training is a huge part of it, but I want to lose some of the fat before I begin toning. I would ease up on the weights and keep up the good cario! Sounds like you're doing awesome!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do people really think she is gaining muscle on a deficit, after a couple of strength training sessions? Wow, if it's that easy I am really doing something wrong.
  • mcrubino
    Options
    I am currently trying to get my arms under control as well, and instead of strength training I have been doing a lot of pilates which works to tone the muscle. Perhaps try this type of exercise to see if you can get those arms firmed up while you lose weight. Great job on the workouts and weight loss!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    So that would be 4 days of strength training overall.. you must be jacked.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I actually heard Michelle Obama who is well known to have the most toned and awesome arms of any woman ever, also did only cardio first then went to lifting as to tone her arms not bulk them up
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP; what 'strength' training are you doing and how long have you been doing it for?

If you just started it is glycogen/water retention in the muscle if anything.......totally normal and temporary...it's not muscle
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that say less on the strength training and more of the cardio... Good Luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am afraid of bulking up muscles, so I am focusing on cardio over weights for the time being. Strength training is a huge part of it, but I want to lose some of the fat before I begin toning. I would ease up on the weights and keep up the good cario! Sounds like you're doing awesome!

You will not 'bulk up muscles' on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I agree with the others that say less on the strength training and more of the cardio... Good Luck!

Why?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Maybe try higher reps with a lower weight for a while so you're burning fat and building muscle at the same time? Then switch to lifting heavy once you're comfortable again? I'm no expert though... actually, I'm just making this up, but it makes sense in my head?

NO
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    ANY muscle that is exposed to exercise will increase in size slightly because of water/glycogen retention. If you're overweight and your arm look more "bulky" (most people really have no idea what this term actually means) it's because the muscle you've exercised and now is retaining more water/glycogen is pushing up against the fat.
    If body fat in the area reduces, then a more muscular definition will appear (this DOE NOT MEAN one built more muscle).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No. No nono.

Listen to Sarauk and all the GOOD advice on here: lifting weights will NOT make you bulk. You would have to eat at an incredible surplus, or have ridiculously out of whack hormones, to bulk so easily as a woman.

You've only been lifting a few times recently? It's probably water retention. It's awesome your stomach got flatter; your arms probably haven't done that sort of effort (whereas your core is constantly supporting you) before, so they're retaining water. Keep doing what you're doing, stretch and warm up properly, and drink more water...

But for the love of all things fitness, don't "lift lighter" or JUST do cardio if you're going for body recomposition (a.k.a, losing body fat).