Book/TV/Movie suggestions

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
What movies or shows have you seen lately that you would recommend? I'm on the last season of Burn Notice, and after that I might start Lost? I dunno. I've gotten mixed opinions about it. I just get disappointed watching series like Heroes and Supernatural, that hook you in and are really good for the first couple seasons but then just get really weird and different by the third or fourth seasons... I guess that's the toll on long series, too. Shorter generally seems to be sweeter. I would also take Anime recommendations, so long as you can help me find where to download it so that I can have subtitles or an English dub. :)

Or, if you're a bookworm, what's the best book you've read in the last year? Why did you like it?

Replies

• amymac5011
    Options
    Great Question, Amber! I have to agree about most series fizzling at the 'end' of the run, but I have to confess, I've caught an episode or two of Supernatural recently, and .... what can I say, I still love those boys! I miss Bobby, though.

Books, well, I don't have the energy or attention span I used to, but the author Lee Child really does great with his "Jack Reacher" series of books. I love me a big, scary hero! I don't know if that would be too old for your taste...? If you are into sci-fi/fantasy, the Hobbit trilogy is reportedly great, has stood the test of time.

Films, I'm old, but I confess to LOVING two particular old movies: The Quiet Man (very ethnic Irish and old fashioned, but very funny and romantic if that's your thing) is one; the other is Sargeant York, with Gary Cooper. Again, very situational humor (WWI in the backwoods of Kentucky for half of it, then off to Europe for most of the rest, and also based on a true story). I mention these two because you seem like you might have seen everything else!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Books: Malcolm Gladwell's Blink, The Tipping Point or Outliers (they're about social phenomena and decision making)

TV: Miranda (A British sitcom about an awkward single thirty-something; I think a lot of people could see themselves in her!)

Movies: Let The Right One In (Swedish vampire film), Sunshine (Sci-Fi suspense about a team trying to re-ignite the sun)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Book: Fearless...

TV SHOW: The Americans.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Book: Anything by Lurlene McDaniel, & Nicholas Sparks
    TV: Dexter, Friends, Greys Anatomy
    Movies: End of Watch, The 5 Year Engagement, The Lucky One, 21 Jump Street, American Pie 1-2, American Wedding, American Reunion (in theaters: Broken City, Identity Thief) or check out Netflix

Hope this helps :smile:
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    TV: Dexter, The Following, Psych

Movies: Avengers, 21 Jump Street, This Means War, Puncture, Drive
  • caseyroberts1
    Options
    I'm into the Walking Dead series that just started up again last Sunday. Also Dallas, that started two weeks ago last monday. If your into that. The books I would recommend anything Nora Roberts. If you liked Twilight then I would read the House of Night books there is a total of 9 I believe with more to come. :)

The last Movie I saw was WARM BODIES!! Every good.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    TV Shows I think are worth watching: (in no order)
    Prison Break
    Haven
    Warehouse 13
    Doctor Who
    Sanctuary
    Archer
    Six Feet Under
    Eureka
    Lie to me
    Battle Star Gallatica
    Glee
    Torchwood
    Portlandia
    Walking Dead
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    Book: Currently reading the last book in the Game of Thrones series which I highly recommend.

TV Shows: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Doctor Who, Arrested Development.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    TV Shows
    Gilmore Girls (seriously, with a title like that I thought it was all fluff. Its not very witty and sharp)
    Dexter
    Heroes (at least the first season)
    Lie To Me (fantastic show)
    Criminal Minds
    Six Feet Under
    Wonderfalls
    Ed
    Sherlock (bbc)
    Black Books
    Coupling

Books I like anything by Anne Rice, Oscar Wilde. My most recent was The Help and I enjoyed that.
  • ShenanigansOHoolihan
    Options
    Watch Skyfall. It was amazing :)

Indie/Random Movies that are currently on Netflix: Butter & Best in Show
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oooh just noticed you also said anime recommendations

I watch most on crunchyrolls. You've probably seen quite a few of these but;
    Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Code Geass (If you haven't seen this, this would be my no. 1)
    Hitman reborn (love this one but its a very long series)
    Death note
    Hunter X Hunter
    Kore wa Zombie desu ka (goofy fun)
    Steins:gate (time travel)
    Deadman Wonderland (I LOVED the brutality of this but they cancelled it midway *tear* )
    Vampire Hunter D
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! :)
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Books: Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson (they're my favourite...can't wait for the 12th one!)

TV: Girls

Movies: Looper, Hysteria
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said Friday Night Lights? I love that one. It's hard for me to pick a book, I read so many, but don't really retain. The Notebook is my favorite book ever though. Also, anything by Dean Koontz.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    TV SHOWS-

Hustle- IT's a BBC series about the art of the CON. A great series- I believe it lead to Leverage- the American version

Firefly- a fun series
    The League- especially for those in fantasy football leagues- Hilarious
    Heartland- a more family show- but I liked it
    White Collar
    Psych
    Archer
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    TV: Freaks And Geeks: I somehow avoided watching this (now cult-classic) show until now. It so insanely genuine, funny, and it has a bunch of now-star actors who were pretty much just kids (JAMES FRANCO, Seth Rogan, Jason Segel, Linda Cardinelli, John Francis Daley, etc.).

The huge downside to this is that it was only 18 episodes in before it was cancelled, so it's pretty bitter sweet watching. Currently available on netflix instant watch!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Just finished a good book.. but you have to like Egyptian history, eventhough it's written like a novel::::

nefertiti-novel-michelle-moran-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Series? I'm a bit of a geek, my all time fav is Stargate-SG1. Yet got weird at season 9-10 and still struggling to put the DVDs in my player...
  • nezsorou
    Options
    TV
    Boston Legal
    Stargate Universe
    Caprica
    Battlestar Galactica
    Game of Thrones

Movies
    The Godfather
    Eastern Promises
    Notre Dame de Paris - I don't know if it counts as a movie?
    A SINGLE MAN
    Anonymous
    Enduring Love
    This is England

Books (I don't read a lot tho!)
    The Thousand and One Nights: http://www.aol.bartleby.com/16/101.html
    Les Chants de Maldoror by Comte de Lautremont
    47th Street Black by Bayo Ojikutu
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Books: The Hunger Games trilogy, the Dresden Files (up to book 14 plus novellas and short stories) by Jim Butcher, the Stephanie Plum series (book 19 plus other supplemental) by Janet Evanovich

TV: NCIS (original), Once Upon a Time, Big Bang Theory
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Books: Anything by Chris Carter as long as you're not easily offended or squeamish) or Tess Gerritsen.

Anime: Try Deathnote. It is just brilliant!

Tv.... Not really sure, I don't watch much. I did watch Lost to the very end but TBH it wasn't worth it. They should have stopped it a lot sooner. Person of Interest is very good, as is CSI.

For comedy, you can't beat The Big Bang Theory.